"BONVILSTON, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Curacy, valued in the King's Books at £6..9..2: Church dedicated to St. Mary. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 203. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £67..14..0, at 1s. 6d. per acre. It is 4 m. E. from Cowbridge. This Parish contains about 960 Customary acres of inclosed land: of which, 100 acres nearly are in Wood. It is a Lay Impropriation, the property of the Bassetts of Bonvilston. The present Incumbent is The Rev. Mr. Bassett, of Swansea. One of the largest Roman Camps in the Neighbourhood is situate in this Parish. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes, Stipend, and Augmentation, was £32..11..3." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.