GENUKI Home Page   Briton Ferry Briton Ferry Contents Contents

Briton Ferry

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This  Briton Ferry database compiled by Gareth Hicks - with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

Additional sources

 

Baptist

Jerusalem Baptist chapel, Neath Rd

  • Baptist chapel, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry            Built 1863.                          1895  (4)
  • Jerusalem Baptist, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry       Built in 1863.                       Rev Rees Powell    1910 (5)
  • Jerusalem English Baptist chapel, Neath Rd/ Caroline St, Briton Ferry.  SS74259438      Built in 1863, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1907.   (9)
  • There is an index entry for Jerusalem Baptist chapel in Old Neath in Pictures
  • 16th June 1863, foundation stone of Jerusalem ( English Baptist) laid by Rev. Henry Thomas, founders Daniel Jones, Henry Williams, M. Davies and  Samuel David  (10)
  • Jerusalem English Baptist Chapel, Briton Ferry: register of members, 1863-1893; dismission books, 1898-1982; correspondence, 1949-1970; deeds, 1866-1952; accounts, 1870-1972; newscuttings, 1933-1974; photographs, circa 1880-1983; plans, 1906-1970; Sunday School records, 1923-1966; records of the Independent Order of Rechabites, circa 1913 (D/D Bap); history, 1959 (D/D Z 81)
    Held at  West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Jerusalem Baptist church, Briton Ferry, register of members, 1863-1893 - on the People's Collection Wales site

Rheoboth  Baptist Welsh, Neath Rd

  • Rheoboth  Baptist Welsh chapel, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry.     Built in 1848 and rebuilt in 1861.       Rev Henry Hughes  1895   (4)
  • Rheoboth  Baptist Welsh chapel, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry   Built in 1848 and rebuilt in 1861.               Rev Henry Hughes       1910  (5)
  • There is this book; A short history of Rehoboth Welsh Baptist Church, Briton Ferry (1848-1998) : compiled in celebration of the 150th anniversary of the chapel. Rehoboth Welsh Baptist Church, 1998   (7)
  • Rehobeth Welsh Baptist chapel, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry.   SS74159400    Built in 1848, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1853.  (9)
  • There is an index entry re a photograph of Rehobeth Chapel choir in Old Neath in Pictures
  • 1848 Rehoboth (Welsh Baptist), founders Edward Evans, D. Jenkins, J. McMillan and Mr. Thomas  (10)
  • Rehoboth Particular Baptist               Erected in 1848                  Titus Jones, Minister                       1851  (11)

Salem Baptist chapel

  •  Baptist chapel, Briton Ferry.                             1858/9    (2)

Salem Baptist Welsh, Vernon St

  • Baptist Welsh, Vernon St, Briton Ferry.           Built in 1876.             Rev Thomas Davies  1895  (4)
  • Salem Baptist Welsh, Vernon St, Briton Ferry.    Built in 1875.          Rev Ellis Egryn Davies    1910  (5)
  • Salem Welsh Baptist chapel, Vernon St, Briton Ferry    SS74279458       Built in 1875   (9)
  • 1878 foundation stone of Salem Baptist Chapel laid by Mr. Thomas Joseph. Founders were Messrs. E.Hopkins, W. Thomas, David Phillips, John Morris and T. Davies  (10)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Salem Baptist Chapel, Vernon Street, Briton Ferry marriage registers  1922-1969     [closed in 1971]

 

Congregationalist

Bethesda Welsh Independent, Church St

  • Bethesda Welsh Independent, Briton Ferry      Opened in 1849, still open in 1992    (1)
  • Bethesda Welsh Independent chapel, Church St, Briton Ferry     SS73869411     Built in 1848, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1866 and in 1886     (9)
  • 1848 Bethesda erected, founders J. Williams. G. Lewis, W. Hughes, T. Morgan, T. Parker and Thomas Davies (10)
  •  
  •  Bethesda Chapel, Briton Ferry: registers of contributions, 1859-1981; accounts, 1910-1970; Sunday School records, 1906-1908             Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Bethesda Independent             Erected in 1848          Griffith Lewis. Elder. Labourer, Giants Grave         1851  (11)
  • Bethesda/Cwrt Sart Ind chapel - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2009)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  •  "Bethesda Chapel, Briton Ferry,Glamorgan, a daughter church to Maesyrhaf, Neath, and Siloh, Melincryddan, was erected in 1848 and rebuilt in 1864. A Sunday School attached to Bethesda was later built at Hoo Street, Briton Ferry. Mary Owen (1796-1875), the Welsh hymnist from Ynysmaerdy, was a member of the congregation. The chapel ceased to be used in 1989 and the membership subsequently held its services at the Old Age Pensioners Hall in Mansel Street, Briton Ferry"        
     " ..............
    comprising registers of contributions, 1859-1981; financial records, 1910-1970; Hoo Street Sunday School minutes, 1906-1908."

English Independent

  • English Independent chapel, Briton Ferry.                  1858/9    (2)

Independent

  • 1809, March 15; Protestant (endorsed: Independent); a dwelling house in the occupation of David Rees  (3)

Congregational (English), Ritson St

  • Congregational, Ritson St. Briton Ferry    Built in 1880.        1895    (4)
  • Congregational, Ritson St. Briton Ferry    Built in 1878.        1910    (5)
  • There is a book;
    Ritson Street Congregational church, Briton Ferry, 1877-1977: centenary services, October 9th to October 13th, 1977. A few historical notes and order of the centenary services, (Briton Ferry, 1977), 12pp.  (8)
  • Ritson St English Independent chapel, Briton Ferry.   SS74179418     Built in 1877      (9)
  • 1880 17th June foundation stone of English Congregational Chapel laid by the Mayor of Swansea ( Sir J.Jones Jenkins). Founders were Messrs Henry Gower, Henry Rees, W. Cheyne & W. Jones.  (10)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Ritson Street English Congregational Church, Briton Ferry ......., began in 1875 when members of Bethesda Welsh Independent chapel in Briton Ferry established a separate English congregation. The chapel was opened in 1880 but closed in 2003"
    "Marriage registers 1932-1977 "
  • And  ".........registers 1877-1908, 1963; minute books, 1912-1978; financial records, 1878-1993; Sunday School attendance registers, 1940-1982; Ladies Guild minutes, 1935-1961; correspondence, 1877-1949; deeds and documents, 1875-1946"

Congregational Welsh, Church St

  • Congregational Welsh, Church St.   Built in 1848, rebuilt in 1865.              Rev John Beynon Davies    1895  (4)
  • Congregational Welsh, Church St, Briton Ferry.    Built in 1848, rebuilt in 1865        Rev Thomas Hughes  1910  (5)

Cwrt Sart Independent chapel, Cwrt Sart, Briton Ferry

  • Cwrt Sart Independent chapel, Cwrt Sart, Briton Ferry    SS74339538     (9)
  • Bethesda/Cwrt Sart Ind chapel - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Hoo St Independent chapel (Bethesda Mission schoolroom)

  • Hoo St Independent chapel, (Bethesda Mission schoolroom) ,  Briton Ferry     SS74329472                (9)
  • 1894 a new vestry was erected in Hoo Street in connection with Bethesda Chapel and the first sermon was preached in the new building on November 3rd 1895 by the Rev. J. Edwards of Neath. Founders were Messrs D. Jenkins, D. Rees, B.Thomas, W. Morris, D. Harris, Hopkin Williams, W. Howell(senior) and  J. Griffith.    (10)

 

Methodist

Graig Welsh CM chapel, Ynysmaendy Rd

  • Graig Welsh CM chapel, Ynysmaendy Rd, Briton Ferry    SS74359492   (9)
  • 1878 foundation stone of the Graig Chapel Vestry laid by Mr. Thomas Jenkins. Founders were Messrs D. Emanuel, Thomas Jenkins, W. Jones and Thomas Thomas.    (10)
  • Graig/Zoar English CM chapel     Neath Road, , Briton Ferry, Castell Nedd ac Aberafan SA11 2AX  - still open in 2006   as per  The Presbyterian Church of Wales site             [Zoar, below,  closed so perhaps this is the merged chapel ?]

Bethel Welsh Calvinistic Methodist

  • Welsh Calvinistic chapel, Briton Ferry.             1858/9    (2)
  • 1848, October 3; Protestant (endorsed: Calvinistic Methodist); a chapel called Bethel    (3)
  • Bethel CM Welsh, Charles St.   Built in 1848, rebuilt in 1879.          Rev William Richards    1895    (4)
  • Bethel CM Welsh, Charles St.   Built in 1848, rebuilt in 1879.     1910  (5)
  • Bethel Welsh CM, Bethel St, Briton Ferry.  SS74019399     Built in 1848, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1865.  (9)
  • 1848 Bethel erected at Briton Ferry , founders were Mr. W. Williams and  Messrs G. Bedford, W. Pritchard, R. Rees, E. Thomas and  W. John  (10)
  • Bethel Welsh CM         Erected in 1848            William Williams. Deacon. Agent, Briton Ferry               1851 (11)

Zoar Calvinistic Methodist, Giants Grave

  • Zoar Calvinistic Methodist, built in 1870, Giants Grave.               Rev. Thomas Davies    1895  (4)
  • Zoar Calvinistic Methodist, built in 1870, Giants Grave.                             1910   (5)
  • It has now been converted into a house. (6)
  • The book by Morgan, C. Briton Ferry and Baglan : a pictorial record, 1985  has a photograph of Zoar chapel in it  (6)
  • Zoar Welsh CM chapel, (Presbyterian), Giant's Grave.  SS73629490   Built in 1870    (9)
  • There is a book   History of Zoar, an account written by William James Owens, Sept. 1930.  (6);  here are some  facts taken from it ;
    1. Site for building found and permission to hold services at School room given   2. No money available to meet first demand due to the builder   3.Two brethren, Mr. David Evans & Mr. John Phillips came to rescue and paid    4. 2nd demand came still no money    5. Rev. David Howells of Swansea & Mr. John Howells Sec. installed them as a Church.   6. Advice from Rev. David Howells " Not to spit on the stool that nursed them, but respect and love them as the duty of the Children to their Parents"   7. After installation they appointed officers, 5 deacons were made - Rev. Thomas Davies, Thomas Parker, Richard Hill, John Phillips, Edmund Thomas.  ( Mr, John Phillips Sec., Mr. John Parker Precentor of the Singing).   8 They were at this time 61 Members.  (6)

Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Neath Rd

  • Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry          Built 1890.                     1895  (4)
  • Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry          Built 1890.                     1910  (5)

Primitive Methodist, Hunter St

  • Primitive Methodist, Hunter St., Briton Ferry         Built in 1876           1895    (4)
  • Primitive Methodist, Hunter St., Briton Ferry    Aberavon Circuit     Built in 1876          Rev William Whitham (supt)        1910    (5)
  • Primitive Methodist, Briton Ferry.  SS7494  Built in 1876.      (9)
  • 1878 foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist Chapel was laid by Mr. Richard Hall, J.P.  The founders were Messrs. W.J.Steel, J. Gush, and T.Southwood  (10)

English Wesleyan Methodist, Neath Rd

  • Wesleyan Methodist, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry.     Built in 1883.              Rev William Henry Sarchet    1895  (4)
  • Wesleyan Methodist, Neath Rd, Briton Ferry.    Neath Circuit      Rebuilt 1908.      Rev T Kilby Champness  1910  (5) 
  • English Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Neath Rd/Ritson St, Briton Ferry.     SS74249420   (9)
  • English Wesleyan Methodist Church (English), Briton Ferry       SS74329421    (9)
  • There is an index entry re a  photograph of a 'church,Wesleyan, Briton Ferry' in Old Neath in Pictures
  • English Wesleyan Methodist, Briton Ferry: trustees' minutes, 1891-1953; accounts, 1925-1957; collection journal, 1920-1925, 1968-1983              Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Wesleyan chapel, Briton Ferry

  • 1859 Wesleyan Chapel,  founders T. Andrew, J. Lean, J. Hayman  and J. Lindsay all of Neath  (10)
  • Wesleyan Preaching Room              "Dwelling House appointed as a Preaching Room, separate building used exclusively as a place of worship"   Wm Williams, Minister, Neath                    1851   (11)

 

Other (including unidentified)

Bible Christian, Mansel St

  • Bible Christian, Mansel St, Briton Ferry.   Built in 1877.              1895   (4)
  • 1879 foundation stone of the Bible Christian Chapel laid. Founders were Messrs. J.Tucker,J. Greenfield, T. Baimbel, and  H. Lang.   (10)

Old Road chapel, Old Road, Briton Ferry

  • Old Road, Old Road, Briton Ferry           SS7495     Denomination not given   (9)

Sunday school; Victoria (Salem Schoolroom; Mission room), Victoria St

  • Sunday school; Victoria (Salem Schoolroom; Mission room), Victoria St   Denomination not given    SS73939442    (9)

New Hall, Hengwrt, Giant's Grave

  • New Hall, Hengwrt, Giant's Grave    SS7394    Denomination not given     Built late C20th ?       (9)

St. John's Christian Spiritualist Church, Giant's Grave Rd, Briton Ferry

  • Seen Online Nov 2011 "The former St. John's Christian Spiritualist Church on Giant's Grave Road is currently (early 2009) up for auction."

 

[Last Updated : 9 Dec 2011 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.