This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database
See also the Cardiff Places of Worship database produced by Glamorgan FHS
This Cadoxton Juxta Barry database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;
If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references
Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source
(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )
Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available
- 1. The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
- 2. Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan and Monmouth by Hywel D Emanuel, National Library of Wales journal, Vol VIII/4, Winter 1954
- 3. Glamorgan Bibliography on Genuki
- 4. Glamorgan FHS - the publications lists etc
- 5. Glamorgan Record Office in Cardiff hold most extant parish church and non-conformist chapel records, these are listed on their site (click ' history of your family' on main page and scroll down to the end of the next page)
- 6. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1895 - the Archive CD Books Cd
- 7. Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 - the Archive CD Books Cd
- 8. Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP, Cardiff, 1976 [a name of an official quoted below is the person shown as 'the informant']
Calfaria (Tabor?) Welsh Baptist chapel, Court Rd/Dovedale St, Cadoxton
- Calfaria Welsh Baptist chapel, Court Rd/Dovedale St, Cadoxton ST12646885 First built in 1812; rebuilt/modified in 1897, still in use in 1998 (1)
- Welsh Baptist, Old Cadoxton The Welsh Baptist chapel in the old village is an old building with burial ground attached, seats 200 Rev Morris Isaacs 1895 (6) and seats 400 Rev Morris Isaacs 1910 (7)
- Tabor Babtis Chapel Erected in 1811 Ll Morgan, Registrar 1851 (8) [same place?]
- There is a book; Calfaria, Cadoxton, Barri : canmlwyddiant yr eglwys. Cadoxton, Barry : Calfaria, 1913 (3)
- ".. the Welsh speakers who attended Philadelphia Chapel.... decided to build a larger Chapel... in 1898 [built] Calfaria in Court Road .... same year the old Philadelphia Chapel closed...."
English Baptist chapel (Mount Pleasant), Court Rd, Cadoxton
- English Baptist chapel, Court Rd Rev Samuel J Robbins Seats 400 1895 (6) and seats 300 (Mount Pleasant) 1910 (7)
- "In 1886 .. meeting in a room at Cadoxton School .. by 1889 opened Mount Pleasant Church......"
[Hope?] Moors English Baptist chapel (Mission chapel), Cadoxton Moors
- Moors English Baptist chapel (Mission chapel), Cadoxton ST13776889 Built in 1880 (1)
- Baptist chapel, Cadoxton Moors 1910 (7)
- " Hope Baptist Chapel built to serve the needs of worshippers at Cadoxton Moors... opened in Palmerston Road in 1898........" [same place?]
Philadelphia Baptist chapel, Bridge St, Cadoxton
- Philadelphia Baptist chapel, Bridge St, Cadoxton ST12806934 Built in 1813 (1)
- Philadelphia Baptist MIs (4) & extant records (5)
- 1813, November 8; Baptist; a new meeting house lately built; James Perrott, Minister, William Edward, Evan Llewellyn, on behalf of the whole congregation (2)
- Philadelphia Baptist Erected in 1817 John Morgan. Deacon, St Andrews 1851 (8)
- "The first Baptist Chapel was built in 1813 in Cadoxton next to the King William IV Hotel and was named Philadelphia (Brotherly Love). It is the only Non-Conformist Chapel in Barry to have its own Graveyard in its precincts.................."
".. the Welsh speakers who attended Philadelphia Chapel.... decided to build a larger Chapel... in 1898 [built] Calfaria in Court Road .... same year the old Philadelphia Chapel closed...."
- "... [built in 1813] next door to the 'King William IV Inn'.. Before this two Baptists,Watkins and Frank, came from the Vale of Glamorgan to preach at Holton Farm and other houses ... [other] preachers came from .... Groes-y-parc... Early baptisms held in the open....... in the village stream at Coldbrook, on the Moors and near Barry Island..........This chapel had a graveyard." ( Let us Talk of Barry by Stan Awbery, J.P. M.P.)
Bryn Seion Welsh Ind chapel, Court Rd, Cadoxton
- Bryn Seion Welsh Ind chapel, Court Rd, Cadoxton ST12716890 Built in 1887 (1)
- Congregational, Court Rd Seats 250 Rev William Tibbott 1895 (6) and Seats 280 (no minister mentioned) 1910 (7)
- ".... [in] 1886 .. Welsh Congregationalists moved from Penarth to work in Barry .......... the Anglican Church granted .. use of a schoolroom ..used for 18 months, .... [then bought] a plot of land in Court Road ..... [built] Bryn Seion, cost Â£200 and opened in 1887....... now a centre for the Handicapped ...."
- [Cadoxton] 1821, May 7; Independent; a house called Chapelsion [Capel Sion]; William David, John Taylor, William Rosser (2) [same place?]
Weston Hill English Congregational chapel, Cadoxton
- Weston Hill English Congregational chapel, Cadoxton ST128686 Built in 1900, not still in use in 1998 (1)
- "Weston Hill Congregational Church opened in 1900 on Weston Hill... in the Iron Church .. previously used by Tabernacl and Tynewydd Road Churches......."
Independent; a dwelling house called Maes Marchog
- [Cadoxton] 1814, April 9; Independent; a dwelling house called Maes Marchog in the occupation of Jenkin Morgan; Thomas Bowen, Morgan Lewis, Morgan James, Morgan Jenkins, Morgan Rees (2)
(Bethel?) English Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Church Rd, Cadoxton
- Cadoxton English Wesleyan Methodist chapel ST12796818 Built in 1815; rebuilt/modified in 1862 and 1896 (1)
- Wesleyan chapel, Church Rd Erected c 1862, cost Â£700, on [new] site given by Mr Thomas Jenkins of New House Seats 300 1895 (6)
- 1813, January 30; Protestant (endorsed: Wesleyan); a house in the occupation of Thomas Mosse; William Davies of Ely, Minister (2)
- Bethel Wesleyan Methodist Erected in 1814 John Williams. Local Preacher 1851 (8) [same place?]
- "... date of the opening of the first Wesleyan Methodist Church in the area .. disputed.... Some sources give .. 1811, others 1815 ...... services [then] conducted in Welsh............By 1855 .. obvious that a new [English] chapel would have to be built ............In 1862 the Church opened ........ "
Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Court Rd, Cadoxton
- Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Court Rd Seats 200 1895 (6)
Bethel English Presbyterian chapel, Court Rd/Newton St, Cadoxton
- Bethel English Presbyterian chapel, Court Rd/Newton St, Cadoxton ST12546882 Built in 1891 (1)
- Bethel English Presbyterian, Court Rd Rev John William Matthews 1895 (6) and (no minister mentioned) 1910 (7)
- "... 1882 [English speaking]workmen arrived.. from the West Country .... raised enough money to consider building a Church..... opened in 1891............ "
Zion Welsh CM chapel (Seion), Pontypridd St/Kenilworth Rd, Cadoxton
- Zion Welsh CM chapel (Seion), Pontypridd St/Kenilworth Rd, Cadoxton ST12916894 First built in 1815; rebuilt/enlarged in 1850/1854 and again in 1891, not still in use in 1983 (1)
- Welsh CM chapel, Pontypridd St Erected at cost Â£1800 Opened in 1891 500 seats Rev William Williams 1895 (6) and (no minister mentioned) 1910 (7)
- Sion Welsh CM Job Thomas. Elder, Pencotry 1851 (8)
- 1815 = Sion Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Cadoxton-juxta-Barry opened on land obtained from Thomas French of Wenvoe A Chronology of Glamorgan
- " Seion Calvinistic Methodist opened in 1815 on land leased from Thomas French of Wenvoe for 999 years. .......... In 1844 enlargement ............. [in 1891] moved to Bryn Seion in Pontypridd Street. In early 1960's partially demolished ......
- "Built 1815 at Hatch Hill ... Alteration in 1848.... still standing ......"
" Seion, Pontypridd Street. Welsh speaking. Built in 1890...." ( Let us Talk of Barry by Stan Awbery, J.P. M.P.)
Primitive Methodist chapel, Melrose St, Cadoxton
- Primitive Methodist chapel, Melrose St, Cadoxton Seats 250 Rev J Morton 1895 (6)
Other (or unidentified)
Catholic School chapel, Court Rd, Cadoxton
- Catholic School chapel, Court Rd erected in 1892 , cost Â£2000 Rev Emile D'Hulst, priest 1895 (6)
Catholic Church of St Helen, Court Rd, Cadoxton
- The Catholic Church of St Helen, Court Rd was erected in 1907, cost Â£2000 Rev James Byrne, priest 1910 (7)
Cemetery, near Merthyr Dovan church
- Cemetery, near Merthyr Dovan church 3 1/2 acres, cost Â£350 Enlarged in 1892 to 12 acres at cost Â£1700 Mortuary chapel built in 1893 1895 (6)
[Last Updated : 15 July 2014 - Gareth Hicks]