"Glyn-Neath is a village and scattered district included in the ecclesiastical parish of Aberpergwm, with a station on the Vale of Neath section of the Great Western railway, locally, in the township of Blaengwrach, 2 miles from the village of Glyn Neath, 10½ north-east from Neath and 189 from London, in the Neath division of the county of Glamorgan, township of Neath and parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath. The Neath canal which terminates here, is 11 miles in length 12 feet wide, and has 16 locks; it is the property of the Neath. Canal Co. There is no church at Glyn Neath. The nearest parish church is that of St. Catwg at Aberpergwm, a mile distant, There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. The most convenient centre for visitors to the splendid and romantic valleys and numerous fine waterfalls in this district is the village of Pont-Nedd-Fechan, usually called Pont-Neath-Vaughan, 3 miles north-east from Glyn-Neath station. ... ... The village is lighted by electric light. There are four collieries here. ... The soil is alluvium; subsoil, gravel and fireclay. The land is chiefly in pasture: ... " [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Neath Canal Company, records 1794-1881 "The Neath Canal Company was formed in the late 18th century, and obtained an Act of Parliament authorising the purchase of land for the canal. The canal was opened in stages over the next few years, and eventually ran from Glynneath to Melincryddan, along the south-eastern side of the Neath Valley. ................................"
You can see pictures of Glyn-neath which are provided by:
Harry Williams (Glynneath) "Letter from Henry Williams to his family commenting on the war 1914; payslips of Richard Williams from Bulla Head Coal Company, Pennsylvania 1926-1927; note-book containing lecture notes by Richard Williams 1925
You can see the administrative areas in which Glyn-neath has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
E.W. Evans (Glynneath) Aberpergwm and Pwllfaron Collieries "price lists 1910" "The name Aberpergwm Colliery was used to describe a number of slants worked in the Glynneath area in the early 1800s. ....................... Pwllfaron Colliery is known to have been owned along with Aberpergwm Colliery by G.H. Williams in 1910 although it is thought to have been opened sometime in the second half of the 19th century."
Glynneath/Cwmnedd Junior Mixed School, records "Records of Glynneath British School, Cwmnedd Junior Mixed and Cwmnedd County Primary, 1869-1988, comprising log books, 1869-1981; admission registers, 1869-1988; junior school compendium, 1932; Glynneath Cookery and Domestic Science Centre Record book, 1916-1923."