"SEVEN SISTERS is an ecclesiastical parish formed by an Order in Council gazetted August 11, 1911, from the ecclesiastical parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath. The ecclesiastical parish comprises Dylais Higher and part of Dylais Lower. The church of St. Mary, locally in Seven Sisters and erected in 1911 at a cost of £6000, the gift of E. Evans Bevan esq. is a building of stone in the Early English style and ... The organ, which cost £600, was also the gift of E. Evans Bevan esq.: there are 476 sittings. The register dates from 1911. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £371, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, ... The population assigned to the district in 1911 was 7700. At Onllwyn is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1909 for 900. There are also Baptist and Methodist chapels here." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. Mary, is in the Benefice of Seven Sisters, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN818090.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
No Registers Deposited
Nonconformist Registers Deposited at West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGAS)
Evans and Bevan Anthracite Collieries records "From the 1870s the Evans-Bevan family began to exploit the coal reserves in the Dulais Valley. The family opened numerous collieries in the area, the Seven Sisters pit perhaps being one of the most well-known. .................. The pit was named after the seven daughters of David Bevan. ....................... By the 1940's the Evans-Bevan family owned a total of seven collieries within seven miles of each other"
"............general account books and files; colliery account books (subdivided into Brynteg Colliery, Cadoxton Collieries, Crynant Colliery, Gellia-Cadoxton Colliery, Gellia Colliery, Maesymarchog Colliery, Miscellaneous Collieries; Onllwyn Colliery, Rhyding Colliery, Seven Sisters Colliery; and Tor Cefn March Howell Colliery"
Colliery Cost book for Torcefn, Brynteg, Crynant, Seven Sisters, Rhyding, Gellia. 6th June 1883-17th April 1886
I.G. Jones (Cwmtwrch) Including " .............. price list: Seven Sisters Colliery 1899.............."
Seven Sisters Lodge "Financial records 1949-1964"
Trevor James (Treforgan) "Colliery Manager's notebook (? for Seven Sisters Colliery) 1946-1947"
Seven Sisters School, records "Records of Seven Sisters/Blaendulais School, 1880-1980, including log books, 1884-1980; admission registers, 1917-1972; weekly summary attendance registers, 1946-1973; boys' yearly summary attendance registers, 1919-1933; punishment books, 1918-1979; correspondence relating to medical examinations, 1959-1961; staff records, 1917-1979; returns (infants) to the Board of Education, Welsh Department, 1922-1958; Central and Local Government correspondence and memoranda, 1880-1961; plans, [20th century]."