"COYTY, or, COYTIFFE, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, with the Chapel of Nolton, valued in the King's Books at £21..12..3 1/2: Patron, Thomas Wyndham, Esq.: Church dedicated to St. Mary. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 1018. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £504..0..11 1/2. It is N. b. E. from Bridgend. This Parish is of great extent, and contains a considerable quantity of inclosed, and uninclosed or uncultivated Land. The present worthy Rector, The Rev. THOMAS DAVIES, very obligingly adds, Nolton Chapel, by Bridgend, is situate in the Lower Hamlet of Coyty Parish, and is termed a Chapel of Ease, and has Divine Service every Sunday performed in it, Near the Chapel are the Ruins of an old Castle, with a number of Houses, commonly called Oldcastle Bridgend. This Castle is supposed to have belonged to the Lords of the Manor of Coyty Anglia, as the Lower Tythe-Barn is built upon part of its ruins. The Manor of Coyty Anglia is so called, to distinguish it from the Manor of Coyty Wallia, both adjoining, and belonging to the same Family who own the Castle of Coyty, viz., Thomas Wyndham, Esq., of Dunraven Castle, Member of Parliament for the County of Glamorgan. DAFYDD HOPCYN, the Poet, was a native of this place: he was admitted into the Gorsedd Morganwg in the year 1700, and presided in 1730."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.