Downtime: The Genuki web service will be unavailable on Tues 24 Apr from 10:00 BST for approximately two hours whilst some software updates are installed.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Chapels - Coity

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

Chapels - Coity

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Coity database compiled by Glenys Travis - with contributions from;

  • Gareth Hicks

N.B  See also the Bridgend entries on the page for  Newcastle parish (We have not tried to separate the bulk of these chapels between the two parishes)

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available


  • (1)    The Chapels Recording Project in Wales (RCAHMW)
  • (2)    A Topographical Dictionary of Wales  - Samuel Lewis 1833
  • (3)    Slater's Commercial Directory 1858/9
  • (4)    Webster & Co.'s Directory of Bristol & Glamorganshire 1865
  • (5)    Slater's Directory of Gloucestershire ... & Wales 1868
  • (6)    Worrall's Directory of South Wales 1875
  • (7)    Slater's Commercial Directory of North & South Wales 1880
  • (8)    Kelly's Directory of Monmouthshire & South Wales 1895
  • (9)    Dissent in the Counties of Glamorgan & Monmouth : Hywel D Emanuel : NLW Journal 1954/55
  • (10)  Kelly's Directory, South Wales 1910 -  the Archive CD Books Cd
  • (11)  Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1,          South Wales.   UWP,  Cardiff, 1976



Hope English Baptist chapel, The Garreg, Bridgend, parish of Coity

  • 1851, May 7; Baptist; a new chapel called Hope situated at a place called The Garreg; Thomas Lewis of the town of Bridgend, brewer, deacon and trustee of the said chapel, Thomas Stockwood and William James of Bridgend  .... (9)  [?  see Newcastle]
  • The Hope, Bridgend  English Baptist chapel   (Lower Coyty Hamlet)      Erected in 1850   "The Chappel has only had three services in it previous to that it has been held in the Vestry Room. Average number of hearers is from 80 to 100."                   Thomas Lewis, Deacon, Brewer      1851  (11)




Gilead Independent chapel, Heol Spencer, Coity Higher

  • Gilead Independent, Heol Spencer, Coity Higher,  SS92198155     Built in 1826, modified, altered or rebuilt 1862  active in 1999. (1)
  • 1833 "There is a place of worship for dissenters in the village of Coyty." (2)
  • 1858 Independent Chapel : Rev. Rees Gwesyn Jones, minister (3)
  • 1865 Gilead Independent Chapel : Rev John Bowen Jones, minister (4)
  • 1868 Independent Chapel (Welsh) Coity : Rev John Bowen Jones, B.A., minister (5)
  • 1880 Independent (Welsh) Coity (7)
  • 1895 Gilead (Welsh) Coity (8)
  • Gilead Welsh Congregational, Coity     400 sittings      Rev Griffith Richard Griffiths   1910 (10)
  • Gilead, Ind (Higher Coyty Hamlet)       Erected in 1826        John David Williams, Minister   1851  (11)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)  - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Oct 2008)
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

Pentwyn Independent, Coity

  • 1804, November 23; Independent; the house called Pentwyn; Methusalem Jones, Minister, John Thomas, Richard Daniel, William. Gronow, William Williams, farmers of the said parish  .... (9)

Tabernacle Independent, Bridgend, parish of Coity

  • 1809, January 24; Independent; a house called Tabernacle; Griffith Thomas, William Williams, David Howell, Morgan Lewis ....  (9)
  • 1846, January 1; Independent; a building called Tabernacle; William Jones, Bridgend, Minister of the Gospel .... (9)
  • Tabernacle, Ind  (Higher Coyty Hamlet)          Erected in 1805/7        "The congregation to some extent fluctuating - sometimes it is not quite so large, and sometimes it is considerably larger"                John David Williams, Minister   1851  (11)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)  - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Oct 2008)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Tabernacle Independent Chapel, Bridgend, records      " ........ erected in 1805-1807. It was affiliated with Independent congegrations at Bethel chapel, Peterston-super-montem, Gilead chapel, Coity, and Brynymenyn chapel, St Bride's Minor"
    "...........registers of births and baptisms, 1801-1891; and registers of burials, 1861-1874"




Bethany Calvinistic Methodist, Coity

  • 1803, April 1; Methodist; a new erected house called Bethany; William. Llewelyn, Joseph Thomas, Richard Williams, William Powell ....  (9)



Other  (including unidentified)

Latter Day Saints (Hall), Adare St, Bridgend, parish of Coity

  • 1850, February 7; Latter Day Saints; a hall belonging and adjoining to the White Lion Beer House situated in Adare Street; John Jones of Bridgend  .... (9)


[Last Updated : 6 Nov 2011  - Gareth Hicks]