GENUKI Home Page CowbridgeCowbridge Contents Contents

Cowbridge

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Cowbridge database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

 Additional Sources

 

Baptist

  • There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists   1833  (1)
  • .........and chapels for Baptists, and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists    1844  (9)  and 1850   (10)   and 1858/9 (11)
  • There are chapels for Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, Independents (different parish)   and Wesleyans  1871 (12)
  • There are also chapels for English and Welsh Baptists and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists   1880  (13)

Ramoth Welsh/English Baptist chapel (Ramoth United Free Church), Westgate

  • Ramoth Baptist chapel (Ramoth United Free Church), Westgate     SS99157485      Built in 1816, rebuilt/enlarged in 1828/9 and c1893, still in use in 1993              (2)
  • Ramoth Baptist - MIs index   (4)
  • Ramoth, Baptist - extant records  (5)
  • Welsh Baptist chapel, West Village, erected in 1828 with 320 sittings         Rev Owen Jones  1895  (6)  
  • Welsh and English Baptist chapel, West Village, erected in 1828 with 320 sittings     Rev Owen Jones  1910  (7)
  • Rev. Dan Davies    1858/9        (11)
  • Rev. Timothy Thomas, minister       1871  (12)
  • Ramoth Particular Baptists chapel        Erected in 1816, rebuilt and enlarged in 1828      12 months evening average attendance 500.         " ..... I have seen a 1000 in the chapel in the evening before now"                             John Evans, Minister   1851  (14)
  • 1826; BAPTIST MISSIONARY MEETING FOR EAST GLAMORGAN AND MONMOUTHSHIRE AT COWBRIDGE    (8)
  • 1834; BAPTIST MISSIONARY SOCIETY MEETING AT COWBRIDGE REPORTED  (8)
  • 1854; REPORT OF A WEDDING CEREMONY TAKING PLACE AT THE BAPTIST CHAPEL COWBRIDGE  (8)
  • 1868; THE WELSH BAPTISTS:BRIEF REPORT OF QUARTERLY MEETING AT COWBRIDGE    (8)
  • 1806, January 22; Baptist; a house called Ramoth lately in the tenure and occupation of Mr. Hunt; David Prichard, Minister, William Edward, John Walter, Jeremiah Cross, Thomas David, William Thomas, William Spencer, Thomas Edward, Bartholomew Thomas, Thomas William, Thomas Morgan, David Evans     (3)
  • 1818, July 2; Baptist; a building called Ramoth; John Robert of Sigginston, Co. Glamorgan, blacksmith, a trustee, William Morgan, Richard Rees, Thomas William      (3)
  • Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
    "The Ramoth Baptist Church, Cowbridge, was founded in 1820. The brethren were Welsh, and the services were conducted in that language until the beginning of the twentieth century. In 1967, the church merged with the Presbyterian Church of Wales and consequently became known as the United Free Church......................"
    " Records..... [c. 1975], consists of: an inventory of tombstones .... made by a church member"

 

Congregationalist

No Congregationalist chapels found in this parish

 

Methodist

  • There are places of worship for Baptists and Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists   1833   (1)
  • .........and chapels for Baptists, and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists    1844  (9)  and 1850   (10)   and 1858/9 (11)
  • There are chapels for Baptists, Calvinistic Methodists, Independents (different parish)   and Wesleyans  1871 (12)
  • There are also chapels for English and Welsh Baptists and Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists   1880  (13)

United Free Church Cowbridge

Sion Calvinistic Methodist chapel (Old Limes Chapel)

  • Sion Calvinistic Methodist chapel (Old Limes Chapel)       SS99647453         Built in 1825       (2)
  • The CM chapel in the Limes has 370 sittings    1895   (6)            and  Rev Emrys Davies  1910  (7)
  • Rev. David Roberts    1858/9   (11)
  • Sion CM chapel, Limes       Erected in 1825     Thomas Williams, Deacon, Flannel Mannefactor (sic)        1851  (14)
  • 1808; WELSH CALVINISTIC METHODISTS' QUARTERLY ASSOCIATION HELD AT COWBRIDGE 16 AND 17 MARCH, REPORT   (8)
  • 1825; CALVINISTIC METHODIST MEETING, COWBRIDGE, NEW CHAPEL OPENED, ROWLAND HILL PREACHES    (8)
  • 1832; CALVINISTIC METHODISTS IN COWBRIDGE PRAY FOR AN END TO CHOLERA EPIDEMIC   (8)
  • 1819, May 25; Calvinistic Methodist; a messuage in the occupation of David Howels, maltster, as tenant to the Hon. Windham Henry Wyndham Quin; the said David Howels    (3)
  • 1826, March 7; Protestant (endorsed: Calvinist); Sion Chapel; David Davies of the parish of Llansannor, co. Glamorgan, maltster      (3)
  • 1841, July 14; Baptist; a chapel called Ramoth situated near the west end of the town of Cowbridge; William Jones of Cardiff, Baptist Minister, William Jones, junior, W. W. Williams        (3)

Welsh Wesleyan Methodist, High St

  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel             SS99747448           First built  c1780-1 and rebuilt/modified c1808, not still in use pre 2003             (2)
  • The Welsh Wesleyan chapel in the High St is now closed     1895   (6)    and 1910  (7)
  • Rev. - Evans    1858/9   (11)
  • Welsh Wesleyan chapel          Erected in 1780         John Rees, Minister, Cowbridge                    1851   (14)
  • 1815, November 6; Methodist; a room, the property of Edward Ballard; James Reynolds of Cowbridge, tailor, and William. Howe of St. Mary Church, farmer                (3)             
  • 1850, August 24; Wesleyan; Wesley Chapel; Thomas Willmot of Cowbridge, gent      (3)
  • 1828; WESLEYAN BRANCH MISSIONARY ESTABLISHED AT COWBRIDGE    (8)

 

English Wesleyan Methodist, East Village

  • Cowbridge East Village Methodist Church - extant records   (5)    Also Cowbridge and St Athans Circuit records (5)        
  • The English Wesleyan chapel, East Village erected in 1889 at a cost of 1650 has 300 sittings       1895  (6)     and Rev T Ezzard May  (Bridgend Circuit)     1910  (7)
  • Rev. John Nancarrow, minister    1871   (12)

 

Other (inc un-identified)

Quaker

  • Cowbridge Quakers' Chapel   SS9874               (2)

Sunday School, Cowbridge

  •  Sunday School, Cowbridge         Denomination not given        ST00017431   A former Sunday School - now converted into a dwelling            (2)

 

[Last Updated :  26 January 2007  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.