Cowbridge with Llanblethian.
Transcribed by Phil Mustoe
COWBRIDGE is a market town and municipal and contributory parliamentary borough and parish, in the Southern division of the county of Glamorgan, with a station on the Llantrisant, Cowbridge and Aberthaw branch of the Taff Vale railway, distant 172 (by rail 186) miles from London, 12 west from Cardiff, 8 south from Llantrisant and 7 south-east from Bridgend, hundred and petty sessional division of its own name, Bridgend and Cowbridge union and county court district, rural deanery of Groneath Lower (eastern division) and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. The town consists principally of one long street stretching from east to west, and is divided by a small stream, over which there is a stone bridge of one large arch. It is lighted with gas by a company, and the drainage, though not complete, has already cost the corporation a considerable sum. The town is supplied with water from springs and wells.
In the Year 1091 the town was encompassed with a stone wall, by Robert de St. Quintine, who also built the Castle of Llanblethian, of which only one gateway now remains standing. A charter was granted to the town in 1682 by Charles II. confirming the privileges granted by previous sovereigns, and the Corporation formerly consisted of two bailiffs, twelve aldermen and twelve capital burgesses, there was also a mayor, who acted as constable of the castle, but was not recognised as a member of theCorporation, although acting as a magistrate within the borough. Under the provisions of the "Unreformed Corporations Act,1883" (46 and 47 Vict. c.18), the Corporation was dissolved, but on the petition of the inhabitant householders a new charter of incorporationn was granted in March, 1887, and the town is now governed by a myor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors who also act as the Urban Sanitary Authority. The county coroner acts within the limits of the borough. Cowbridge together with Cardiffand Llantrisant forms the Cardiff parliamentary district, returning one member to Parliament.
The church of St. Mary, Cowbridge, formerly a chapel to Llanblethian, is a building of stone, in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle, north porch, and a fine embattled western tower, containing 8 bells: in the church isa memorial to Dr. Benjamin Heath Malkin M.A., F.R.A., the historian of South Wales, who was buried here; the church was restored in 1851 at a cost of #1,800, and again in 1894 at a cost of #800, and afford 640 sittings. The register of baptisms for St. Mary's dates from the year 1718; marriages, 1753; burials, 1735
The church of Llanblethian, standing on an eminence, is an ancient edifice of stone, in the Norman style, consisting of chancel, nave, south transept, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 6 bells; there are 200 sittings. The registers of Llanblethian date from the year 1661. The living of Llanblethian, with Cowbridge and Welsh St. Donats is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge (vicarial), #191, average #141, gross yearly value #252, net #190, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff, and held since 1886 by the Rev. David Bowen B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter.
The Welsh Baptist chapel, West Village, erected in 1828, is a plain building of stone, with sittings for 320. The Welsh Wesleyan chapel, High street, is now closed. The English Wesleyan chapel, East Village, erected in 1889 at a cost of #1,650, is abuilding of stone in the Gothic style, and as 300 sittings. The Calvinistic Methodist chapel, in the Limes, is a building of stone, with sittings for 370.
The Town Hall and Market House, built by the Corporation many years ago, at a cost of #700, is a building of stone, situated in the High street, and will hold 350 persons. A new institute and Lecture Hall was erected in 1895, at a cost of #700, of which #500 was given by the late Mr. Nathaniel Bird, of Cowbridge.
The market is held every and is purely agricultural. The great markets are held the first Tuesday in every month, chiefly for cattle. Fairs are held the Tuesday before March 25th, May 4th, June 24th, Sept 29th and the first Tuesday in December.
Here is a district lodge of the Manchester Unity of Oddfellows
The charities (a list of which is in St. Mary's church) are as follows :- Mrs. Catherine Williams, by will, dated 27th November, 1682, bequeathed the sum of #100 to the town of Cowbridge, the interest to be yearly paid for the relief of the poor of the said town. Sir Leoline Jenkins left, by will, dated 20th June, 1685, the sum of #20 once in every four years, towards apprenticing poor children or clothing poor people of the town of Cowbridge, at the discretion of the master of the Grammar School. Mrs. Mary Wilcox also left two closes of land in the parish of Llanblethian, the rent of which to be yearly distributed to the poor of the town of Cowbridge, at the discretion of the bailiffs. Mrs Rebecca Wyndham likewise left, by will, the sum of #100, which, together with the interest thereof, purchased the moiety of a tenement of lands called Pencoed in the parish of Llanilid, the profits of which to be applied towards appenticing poor children of the town of Cowbridge, at the discretion of the minister and churchwardens for the time being. Mrs. Cecil Thomas' house, near the Cross, in the town, Mr. Thomas Thomas' house, near the Weigh-house. Mrs Mary Morgan's house, near the Market place, and a field, called by the name of Tair Erw Heoly Smallway, in the parish of Llanblethian, are charged with the yearly sum of 12s. each, which, with 4s. from the Corporation, is left to be distributed in bread to the poor of the town on every Sunday after divine service, at the discretion of the churchwardens. Mr. Walter Williams, by a codicil to his will, dated 16th January, 1796, bequeathed the yearly sum of #4 for ever, to be issuing out of the rents and profits of a tenement of lands called "The Paddocks." situated in the Western Village of the town of Cowbridge, to be paid to the treasurer of the town, and to be distributed to the poor of the town and parish of Cowbridge, at the discretion of the bailiffs. On Nov. 24th, 1840, Daniel Jones, of Beaupre, in the parish of St. Hilary, in this county, by his will, directed his executors should purchase as much stock in Consols as would produce a yearly dividend of #10, for the use and benefit of the poor, the money either to be divided among them in equal moieties, one at Whitsuntide and the other at Christmas, by the minister for the time being, or to be laid out by such minister in clothing, bedding, or firing, for their use; the above stock stands invested in the #2.7 per Cent. Consols. On December 11th, 1845, John Frauncies Gwyn of Ford Abbey, in theparish of Thorncombe, in the County of Dorset, by his will bequeathed to the parish of Cowbridge the sum of #200, in trust, the dividends thereof to be applied in such manner as the minister and churchwardens shall think fit, for the benefit of the National school for boys of the three consolidated parishes of Cowbridge, Llanblethian and Welsh St. Donat's. Also Miss Eleanor Savours' charity of #200, invested in Consols, the produce to be divided amongst the poor of Cowbridge, at the discretion of the vicar, and a similar sum for Llanblethian.
The Kennels of the Glamorganshire fox hounds are at Llandough, about a mile and a half south of Cowbridge; Ralph Thurstan Bassett esq. J.P., master.
Cardiff, Cowbridge and Bridgend are convenient places for hunting visitors.
The principal residences are : Crossways House, Ralph Thurstan Bassett esq. J.P.; The Cross, the residence of Frederick William Dunn esq. J.P.
The Marquess of Bute K. T. is lord of the manor of Llanblethian and borough of Cowbridge. The Earl of Dunraven; the trustees of the late John Samuel Gibbon esq.; Ralph Thurstan Bassett esq. J.P. of Crossways house; Captain John Glynne R. Homfray J.P.; John Bevan esq. and Mrs. Edmondes, are the principal landowners.
The soil is clay and gravel; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and pasturage. The area of the parish of Cowbridge is 84 acres; parish of Llanblethian is 3,259 acres and 4 of water; rateable value of Cowbridge, #3, 935; of Llanblethian, #5,486. The population in 1891 of the parish and parliamentary borough of Cowbridge was 1,377; parish of Llanblethian in 1891, was 768.
Parish Clerks, Cowbridge, Thomas Davies; Llanblethian, Edwin Davies
Aberthyn is 1 mile north-east. Here is a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel.
Maindy is 2 miles north-by-east. Here is a Welsh Congregational chapel.
OFFICIAL ESTABLISHMENTS, LOCAL INSTITUTIONS, &c.
Post, M. O. & T. O., S. B., Express Delivery & Annuity & Insurance Office, East Village. - Thomas Bradshaw, postmaster. Letters arrive from London & all parts at 5 a.m.; second arrival from Gloucester, Birmingham & the North at 10 a.m.; Gloucester, London, Swansea, & South of England, 7.40 p.m.; deliveries at 7 & 10 a.m. & 1 & 8 p.m.; dispatched to all parts at 8 & 9.40 a.m. 2.40, 4.40 & 6.25 p.m.; extra stam, 6. 50 p.m.; sunday delivery 7 a.m.; dispatched 6.25 p.m. Money orders are granted from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.; on saturdays from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. On sundays there is only one delivery, at 7.30 a.m. & letters are delivered at the office from 7. 30 a.m. till 10 a.m. only; dispatched 6.25 p.m. & extra stamp 6.50 p.m.
Parcel Post is transacted on week dats from 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Deliveries commence at 10 a.m.; dispatched same time as letters
Wall Letter Boxes, East Village, cleared at 9.10 a.m. 4.15 & 5.50 p.m.; sunday 6.5 p.m. Llanblethian, cleared at 5. 30 p.m.; & Aberthyn, Llanblethian, cleared at 5.35 p.m. week days only
County Magistrates for Cowbridge Petty Sessional Division.
Tyler Lieut.-Col. John Hobart, Manor house, St. Hilary, Cowbridge, chairman
Spearman Sir Joseph Layton Elmes bart. D.L. The Hall, Wem, Salop
Bassett Ralph Thurstan esq. Crossways house, Llanblethian, Cowbridge
Blandy-Jenkins John esq., Llanharan ho. Pontyclun R.S.O.
Davies Daniel Holford esq., Morfa house, Llantwit Major, Cowbridge
Homfray Captain John Glynne Richards, Penllyne castle, Cowbridge
Dunn Fredk. Wm. esq. The Cross, Llanblethian, Cowbdg
Nicholl-Carne John Devereux Vann-Loder esq. M.A.
, Nash manor, Cowbridge
Nicholl Iltyd Bond F.S.A.
, The Ham, Llantwit Major
Owen Daniel esq., Ash Hall, near Cowbridge
Salmon William esq. D.L.
, Penllyne court, Cowbridge
The Mayor of Cowbridge (for the time being) Clerk to the Magistrates, John Stockwood, High street
Petty Sessions held at the Police court every alternate at 12.30 p.m.
The following places are incuded in the petty sessional division :- Saint Athan, Cowbridge, Eglwysbrewis, Flemingstone, Gilestone, St. Hilary, Llanblethian, Llandough, Llanharran, Llanharry, Llanilid, Llanmaes, Llanmihangel, Llansannor, Llantwit Major, Lisworney, St. Mary Church, Pendoylan, Penllyne, Welsh St. Donat's, Ystradowen, Nash & Stembridge
Corporation, 1894-1895 Mayor - Councillor,
- Alderman David Tilley,
| + Edward John |
+ Lewis Jenkins
| * David Tilley |
* Thomas Thomas
| $ John Hopkins |
$ William Lewis Jenkins
$ Thomas J. Parsons
$ David Thomas
+ Joseph W. Hall
+ Thomas John
| + John Llewellyn |
+ John Williams
& William Aaron James
& Lewis Jenkins
& Thomas Rees
& William Yorwerh
| Marked thus $ retire in 1895 |
Marked thus + retire in 1896
Marked thus & retire in 1897
Marked thus * retire in 1899
Mayor's Auditor, Councillor John Williams.
Elective Auditors, Ebenezer Davies & William John.
The Corporation meets at the Town Hall on the 1st thursday in every month
Officers of the Corporation & Urban Sanitary Authority. Town Clerk
, William Thomas GwynTreasurer
, John David, High streetMedical Officer of Health
, Albert Wilburforce Sheperd L.R.C.P. Irel
, High streetSurveyor
, Sanitary Inspector of Nuisance & Collector, William Davies Alexander, High street
County Police Station, Wm. Canton, sergeant & constable
Town Hall, High street, John Pike, keeper
and Glamorganshire Volunteer Battalion Welsh Regiment (detachment, with Pontyclun, forming L Co.), Cap. & Hon. Major Rees Thomas, officer commanding.
Certifying Factory Surgeon, Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, Cowbridge District, Bridgend & Cowbridge Union & Bonvilstone District, Cardiff Union & Medical Officer of Health to the Bridgend & Cowbridge Rural District Council,Charles Booth Mellor, L.R.C.P
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes, John Stockwood. High street
Collector of Poor Rates & Assistant Overseer, Daniel Evans, Broadway
Inland Revenue Officer, Wm. Lewis McCoy, East village
Registrar of Births & Deaths & Relieving Officer, Cowbridge District, Bridgend Union, Wm. John, West village
Deputy Registrar of Births & Deaths, John David, High st
Town Crier, Richard John, East village
Places of Worship, with times of Services
St. Mary's Church, Cowbridge, Rev. Daniel Bowen B.A.
vicar; 8 & 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Llanblethian Church; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Baptist (Welsh), West village, Rev. Owen Jones; 10.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon & wed 7.30 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist, The Limes; 10 & 11.30 a.m. & 6 p.m.; mon & wed 7 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh), Aberthyn; 2 p.m.
Congregational (Welsh), Maindy; 10 a.m. & 6 p.m.
Wesleyan (English), East village, Rev. William Barrowclough; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m.; wed 7.30 p.m.
The Grammar School, in Church street, endowed by Sir Leoline Jenkins, Judge of the Prerogative Court & Secretary of State in the reign of James II. was purchased by him of Sir Edward Stradling, of St. Donat's Castle, & subsequently devised to the principal, fellows & scholars of Jesus College, Oxford. Here also founded in connection with it, five monitorships, each of the present value of #16 10s. The scholarships & fellowships originally attached to the school are now thrownopen to general competition; & English boys who have been educated in the school for four years enjoy equal advantages with the Welsh in competing for the fellowships & scholarships of Jesus College, Oxford. The present building, together with aresidence for the head master, was erected by the principal & fellows of Jesus College, Oxford, in the year 1847. The endowment of the school has, since January, 1883, been increased by #200 a year, & in 1891 there was a further augmentation of #200 a year on a scheme arranged by Jesus College, Oxford, & the Charity Commission. The interior arrangements of the school buildings have been much improved. Rev. William Franklin Evans M.A.
, of Jesus College, Oxford, head master; Rev. Thomas Read M.A.
Exeter College, Oxford, second master; David Percival Jones B.A.
of Jesus College, Oxford, mathematical master
A School Board of 7 members was formed 31st March 1873 for the united district of Cowbridge, Llanblethian, Welsh St. Donat's & Ystradowen; Thomas Rees, clerk to the board meets at clerk's office, last thursday in every month, at 3 p.m.
Board, built in 1876, & enlarged in 1881, for 267 boys & girls; average attendance, 173; James Henry Harvey, master; Miss Kate Tutton, assistant mistress
Board (infants), built in 1891, for 114 children; average attendance, 78; Miss Mary E. Tutton, mistress
Cowbridge, Samuel Phillips, station master
From Llantwit Major to Cowbridge Railway Station, Samuel Edwards, daily
Barrowclough Rev. William (Wesleyan), East village
Bassett Ralph Turstan J.P.
(High Sheriff for 1895), Crossways house, Llanblethian
Bowen Rev. David B.A.
Braddick Mrs. Fir cottage, Llanblethian
David John, High street
Davies Rev. Thomas Cynon B.A.
Davies Miss, Cambrian house
Davies Mrs. Avondale villa
Davis Miss, High street
Dunn Frederick William J.P.
, The Cross, Llanblethian
Edmondes Mrs., High street
Edwards Mrs., East village
Evans Saml. Dvd. jun B.A.
, High st
Evans Rev. Wm. Franklen M.A.
(head master), Grammar schl. Church st
Gibbon Windsor Humphrey Rees, Newton house, Llanblethian
Gwyn Chas. Jackson M.A.
, East villge
Gwyn William Thomas, East village
Hughes Robert Hugh, High street
James Frank, Marlborough grange, Llanblethian
Jenkins Mrs., Llanblethian
John Edward, High street
Jones David Percival B.A.
(assistant master), Grammar schl. Church st
Jones Rev. Owen (Welsh Baptist), Broadway villa
Lewis Miss, East village
Lewis Mrs. Bridge house
Llewellyn Misses, East village
Lloyd Mrs., Llanblethian
Marshall Lawton Parry, High street
Mellor Charles Booth, High street
Meredith Mrs., Thorn vil. West village
Miles Ebenezer William, High street
Morgan Rev. John James (Calvinistic Methodist), East village
Morgan Miss, The Bridge
Morson Mrs., High street
Moynan Richd. M. M.D.
, East village
Nicholl George William, Llanblethian
Payne Thomas, High street
Prichard Miss, 24 High street
Prichard Miss, Croft street
Read Rev. Thomas M.A.
(curate and assistant manager), Grammar school, Church street
Rees Thomas, East village
Rees Wm. Kingscmbe. ho., Llanblethian
Sheperd Albert Wilberforce, High st
Stockwood John, High street
Thomas Mrs., The Shield
Thomas Robert, High street
Thomas Wm. Rchrds., Hill ho., Llnblthn
Thomas William Morgan, Broadway, Llanblethian
Ackerman George, painter, East village
Adam David, market gardener, Llanblethian
Alexander William Davies, surveyor, inspector of Nuisances & rate collector for the borough, High street
Aubrey Richard, beer retailer & wheelwright, East village
Bennett Ann (Mrs.), laundress, West village
Bird Harold, district surveyor, St. Quintin's, LlanblethianBird James G. Harold & Co.
, general & furnishing Ironmongers
, High street
Blackford Henry, grocer & coal dealer, Aberthyn
Bonvilston Estate Offices (Williams & Homfray, agents), High street
Breeze George, Bush P. H., West village
Canton William, police sergeant, Police station
Collier Joseph, famer, Penylan, Newton, Llanblethian
Collings Samuel, watch maker, West village
Corporation Weigh Bridge (Richd. Williams, weigher)
Cottrell Estate Offices (Williams & Homfrey, agents), High street
Cowbridge Farmers' Club (William V. Huntley, sec.), Bear hotel
Cowbridge Gas Light & Coke Co. (Thomas John Parsons, sec.; Walter James Escott, manager), The Limes
Croonne James, chimney sweeper, West village
Culverwell Ann Eliza (Mrs.), & Alice & Bessie (Misses), young ladies' school, High street
David Catherine (Mrs.), boot warehouse, East village
David Frederick, hair dresser, High street
David Illtyd, beer retailer, West village
David John, auctioneer, borough treasurer & deputy registrar of births & deaths, High street
David Thomas, shoe maker, High street
Davies Ebenezer, assistant overseer & collector of poor rates, & clerk to parish council for Llanblethian, East village
Davies Edward, currier & leather seller, High street
Davies Ellen (Mrs.), dress maker, Church street
Davies Thomas, beer retailer, West village
Davies William, James, house decorator, High street
Davies William, Railway Inn, East village
Davis Ann (Miss), stationer & news agent, The Bridge
Eddolls Thomas, Pelican P.H., West village
Edmund William, baker & grocer, East village
Edwards Bennett, grazier, Llanblethian
Evans Jane & Mary (Misses), grocers, East village
Evans Samuel David & Son, drapers & outfitters, High st
Evans Daniel, assistant overseer for Cowbridge, Broadway
Evans David, farmer, Tynycaia, Llanblethian
Evans John David, tailor, Church street
Evans Samuel David, jun. B.A.
, solicitor, High street
Fitzgerald Michael, Edmondes Arms P.H., East village
Fitzgerald Patrick, earthenware dealer, East village
Fox William, Farmer's Arms P.H., Aberthyn
Froom George, coffee tavern, High street
Galligan Thomas, carpenter, East village
George John, coal merchant, & agent for Taff Vale Railway Company, East village
Gibby Daniel, hay dealer, Croft street
Gibson Sydney, auctioneer, High street
Giles David & Son, boot & shoe makers, East village
Glamorganshire (2nd) Volunteer Battalion Welsh Regiment (Detachment with Pontyclun forming L. Company, Capt. & Hon. Major Rees Thomas, officer commanding).
Grammar School (Rev. William Franklen Evans M.A.
, head master; Rev. Thomas Read M.A.
, second master & David Percival Jones B.A.
mathematical master), Church street
Griffiths Henry & John, butchers, High street
Griffiths Alice (Mrs.), shopkeeper, West village
Griffiths John, blacksmith, High street
Griffiths Morgan, grazier, Maindy
Griffiths Philip, grocer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey Limited, wine & spirit merchants, High street
Gwyn Charles Jackson M.A.
, solicitor, East village
Gwyn William Thomas (firm, Rees & Gwyn), solicitor, town clerk & commissioner for oaths, East village
Hall Joseph Williams, corn & hay merchant, East village
Harman Susannah (Miss), dress maker, High street
Hayter Samuel, photographer, East village
Hayter William, Horse & Groom P.H., High street
Homfray Herbert R. (firm, Williams & Homfray), land & estate agent & surveyor, High street
Hopkins John & Son, stone masons, The Bridge
Hopkins John, grazier, Llanblethian
Howe Joseph, farmer, Newton, Llanblethian
Howell Catherine (Mrs.), Three Boars' Heads, High street
Howell Jane (Mrs.), flannel manufacturer, Llanblethian
Hughes John William, commercial traveller, East village
Hughes Robert Hugh, manager of National Provincial Bank of England, Limited, High street
James Alfred George, cabinet maker, East village
James William, Cross inn, Llanblethian
James William Aaron, builder, West village
Jenkins David, grazier, Broadway, Llanblethian
Jenkins David, Brewer, Aberthyn
Jenkins Henry Valentine, watch maker, High street
Jenkins Lewis, brewer, High streetJenkins Lewis, brewer,
Cowbridge Brewery, maltster, farmer & Butchers' Arms hotel, High street
Jenkins Thomas, frmr., Mount Pleasant frm. Llanblethian
Jenkins William Lewis, wine & spirit mer. High street
John David, farmer, Trehinghill, Llanblethian
John Edward, corn, seed, cake & manure merchant & agricultural implement agent; sacks for hire, West vill
John Janet (Mrs.), brewer & farmer, Aberthyn
John Thomas, shopkeeper, East village
John Thomas, farmer, Broadway, Llanblethian
John William, relieving officer & registrar of births & deaths for Cowbridge district, Bridgend union, West vill
Jones Ann (Mrs.), shopkeeper, East village
Jones Henry, farmer, Breach farm, Llanblethian
Jones John, earthenware dealer, High street
Jones John, farmer, Llanblethian farm
Jones Mary Jane (Mrs.) (exors. of), grocers, High st
Jones William, farmer, Broadway, Llanblethian
Joseph Morgan, lime burner, Llanblethian
Lane Robert, farmer, Hollybush, Llanblethian
Lewis James, cooper, High street
Lewis John, plasterer, East village
Lewis Thomas, blacksmith, Croft terrace
Lewis William, plasterer, East village
Llewellyn John, chemist & ironmonger, High street; & at Llantrisant
London & Provincial Bank Limited (branch) (Lawton P. Marshall, manager), High street; draw on head office, 7 Bank buildings & Glyn, Mills & Co. London E.C.
McCoy William Leslie, inland revenue officer, East village
Meller Charles Booth L.R.C.P. Edin
, physician & surgeon, medical officer & public vaccinator Bonvilstone district, Cardiff union & Cowbridge district, Bridgend & Cowbridge union, & medical officer of health, Cowbridge district, Bridgend rural district council, & certifying factory surgeon, High street
Meredith William, Mason's Arms P.H., West village
Metropolitan Bank (of England & Wales) Limited (branch) (Robert Thomas, manager), High street; draw on head office, 60 Gracechurch street, London EC)
Miles Ebenezer William, solicitor, High street
Miles Frederick Augustus, grocer, High street
Mitchell Robt. Fredk. Crown & Anchor P. H., High street
Mordecai William, White Lion P.H., High street
Morgan Morgan, Commercial inn, East village
Morgan Morgan J., boot maker, West village
Morgan Thomas Henry, master mariner, The Bridge
Morgan William, boot & shoe dealer & butcher, High st
Morgan William, draper, High street
Morris Arthur, beer retailer, Trerhinghill, Llanblethian
Moynan Richard M. M.D., M.Ch.
physician & surgeon, East village
National Provincial Bank of England Limited (branch) (Rubert Hugh Hughes, manager), High street; draw on head office, 112 Bishopsgate st. within, London E.C.
Parsons Thomas John, grocer, High streetPayne Alice M. & Lillie (Misses)
, ladies' boarding & day school, High street
Penllyne Castle Estate Offices (Williams & Homfray, agents), High street
Phillips Samuel, station master
Pickard John, grocer, East village
Pickard Richard, green grocer & shopkeeper, High street
Preece John, blacksmith, High street
Rees & Gwyn, solicitors & comsnrs. for oaths, East village
Rees David, farmer, Folly farm, Llanblethian
Rees John, butcher & shopkeeper, East village
Rees Morgan, farmer, Newton, Llanblethian
Rees Thomas (firm, Rees & Gwyn), solicitor & clerk to the school board
Richards David, farmer, Penylan, Aberthyn
Richards Llewellyn, coffee tavrn, East village
Roberts William David, commercial traveller, East village
Sedgebeer Henry, General Picton P. H., Llanblethian
Sheperd Albert Wilberforce L.R.C.P.
& L.R.C.S. Irel
physician & surgeon, & medical officer of health for the borough, High street
Singer Manufacturing Co. (John H. Thorne, agent), East village
Spencer David, miller (water), Llanblethian & Town mills
Spencer Margaret (Mrs.), Duke of Wellington hotel, High street
Stibbs Elizabeth (Miss), confectioner, High street
Stockwood John, clerk to the county magistrates & commissioners of taxes, High street
Taylor Andrew, farmer, Llanblethian
Thomas William & Son, butchers, High street, & farmers, Aberthyn, Llanblethian
Thomas Ann (Mrs.), Ancient Druid P. H., East village
Thomas Anna (Mrs.), farmer, Stall court, Llanblethian
Thomas David, draper & outfitter, High street
Thomas David, farmer, Aberthyn
Thomas Evan, jun. butcher, West village
Thomas Hopkin, harness maker, East village
Thomas Isaac, shoe maker & shopkeeper, East village
Thomas John, baker, Llanblethian
Thomas John, farmer, Pencryn, Llanblethian
Thomas John (exors. of), chemists, High street
Thomas Margaret (Mrs.) Cowbridge Arms P. H., High st
Thomas Morgan, grocer, High street
Thomas Robert, manager of Metropolitan Bank of England & Wales, Limited, High street
Thomas Thomas, Bear hotel, High street
Thomas Thomas, farmer, Llanblethian
Thomas William RIchards, maltster, Hill ho. Llanblethian
Tilley David, coach builder, West village
Tilley William, farmer, Llanblethian
Town Hall (John Pike, keeper), High street
Tucker Henry, shopkeeper, West village
Tucker Thomas, earthenware dealer, The Bridge
Usher Edwin, farmer, Llanblethian
Warren Solomon & Son, painters, The Bridge
Warren Solomon, Bridge inn, East village
Watkins Richard & Son, tailors, High street
Watts Hopkin Matthew, baker & butcher, High street
Williams & Homfray, land & estate agents & surveyors, High street
Williams Edward, grocer, East village
Williams Edward, plasterer, East village
Williams Elizabeth Ann (miss), stationer, High street
Williams John, draper, East village
Williams Mary (Mrs.), Blue Bell P. H., High street
Williams Thomas, coal dealer, Llanblethian
Williams William, Royal Oak P. H., High street, East Village
Yeates William, Hare & Hounds P. H., Aberthyn, Llanblethian
Yorwerth Thomas Jenkin, saddler & harness maker, High street & Church street
Young Men's Institute (John Davies, sec.)
[Transcribed by Phil Mustoe, 5th April 1998]
[Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 Gareth Hicks]