"CAERPHILLY, a market town and chapelry, in the parish of EGLWYSILAN, hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. by W.) from Cardiff, and 159 (W.) from London, on the old turnpike road from Newport to Neath and Merthyr-Tydvil. The population is returned with the hamlet of Energlyn........." A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833
Barclays Bank, Caerphilly collection "Merchant's account book of imports, 1789 (including Energlyn Estate rental, 1823); Caerphilly Petty Sessions minutes books containing lists of surveyors, constables and overseers, 1840-1852; Caerphilly Petty and Brewster's Sessions minutes book, 1868-1872."
Great Western Garden Village Society Ltd, Caerphilly records 1925-1972 "Great Western (Caerphilly) Garden Village Society Ltd was established in 1925, to provide housing for the workers of Carephilly Railway Repair Works, Glamorgan. It remained active until 1972"
Bradley and Edmunds family of Pontypridd and Caerphilly papers "Records of the Bradley and Edmund family, 1790-1903, ....................."
Waters and Evans families, of Caerphilly papers 1725-1929 "Mrs Hester Waters (d 1794), possibly a member of the Waters family of Penhow (Monmouthshire) appears to have lived at Bath, Somerset, since at least 1775. Edward Evans (fl. 1794-1802), of Energlyn Mill, Caerphilly, Glamorgan, a descendant of the Waters family, was the executor of her will. ........................"
You can see the administrative areas in which Caerphilly has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Dennis G. Sellwood papers "The papers were collected by local historian Dennis G. Sellwood whilst conducting research for his book, The Friendly Invasion (Caerphilly Local History Society, 2002). The book focuses upon the American soldiers who passed through Caerphilly during 1943-1944 on their way to Europe, as remembered by themselves and the townspeople"
Jones, Glyndwr G., of Caerphilly, collection 1856-1991 "Glyndwr G. Jones is a local historian who has gathered together an extensive collection of miscellaneous sources on the history of Caerphilly and district, Glamorgan, covering Pandy woollen mill, photographs and postcards. Besides delivering lectures to the Caerphilly Local History Society, he is also the author of the local history journal, Cronicl Caerffili"
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST155864 (Lat/Lon: 51.570069, -3.220648), Caerphilly which are provided by:
Caerphilly and Gelligaer Division Elementary/Primary school records 19th century-20th century
Caerphilly Senior Boys (Twyn)/Secondary school records " ....... school records comprising of log book, 1933-1966"
Caerphilly Gwyndy Senior Girls/Secondary Modern for Girls records 1933-1947
Caerphilly/Caerphili Boys Secondary School and St. Martins Comprehensive school 1927-1989 "Caerphilly Boys' Secondary School originated as Caerphilly Higher Elementary School in 1912......"
Edmunds, Emma and Rachel, of Caerphilly papers 1846-1974 "Emma Edmunds and Rachel Edmunds were school teachers in the Caerphilly area, Glamorgan, in the last quarter of the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries. Emma Edmunds was a teacher at Penarth National School and became head teacher at Twyn Infants School, Caerphilly Rachel Edmunds was the head teacher of the Aldworth Charity schools at Bedwas and Caerphilly." "Rules and attendance register of Aldworth Charity school, 1846-1863; Twyn Infants head teacher's notebook, 1899-1913; testimonials, examination certificates, salary recipts, letters, photographs of teachers and pupils at Twyn school and miscellaneous papers, 1846-1974"
Caerphilly Local History Society records "Programme for the performance of 'Macbeth' in Caerphilly Castle, 7-10 June, 1939; plans and sections pertaining to the Caerphilly U.D.C. waterworks, 1897; annual report of the 'Loyal St Cenydd' Lodge, 1902; set of rules relating to the Victorian Building Club, Caerphilly, 1902; copies of Pebyll Seion [A History of the Congregational Churches in Caerphilly District] edited by C. Tawelfryn Thomas and E. Bush, 1904, and A History of Caerphilly Castle: Its Assailants and Defenders by O. Morien Morgan, 1905; and photographs of Caerphilly and surrounding area, [20th century]. ........."