"GELLI GAER, in the Cwmwd of Senghenydd, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Caerphilly), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory valued in the King's Books at £20..7..11: Patron, The Marquis of Bute: Church dedicated to St. Cadog. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Hamlets of Brith dir, Cefn, Garth Gynyd, Hen Coed, and Ysgwydd Wyn) was 1051. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £391..13..5, at 7s. in the pound. It is 14 m. N. b. W. from Caerdiff. A Fair for Cattle is holden here on the 3d of April. ...................................... " (A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.)
The church is dedicated to St. Catwg, is in the Benefice of Gelligaer, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST135969.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Gelligaer Ecclesiastical Parish records " ........... including registers of baptisms,1813-1933; marriages, 1754-1929; burials, 1866-1922; indexes to marriage and burials registers; terriers, 1699-1866; records relating to glebe, 1808-1935; churchwardens accounts, 1816-1915; Brithdir chapelwardens account, 1853-1868; records of St. Margaret's church, 1907-1932; church restoration records, 1926-1932; civil parish and miscellaneous records, 1887-1920; extracts from missing parish registers: burials, 1708-1793; baptisms, 1759-1800"
Lewis family of Trelewis, Gelligaer, records 1601-1928 "On the 1841 tithe map and apportionment for Gelligaer, Bontnewydd is recorded as a 60 acre farm in the possession of Daniel Lewis. During the nineteenth century, this area became known as Trelewis, a small mining community which depended for employment on the neighbouring Deep Navigation Colliery..............."
T. V. Davies Research Papers "Research papers of Professor T. V. Davies, [c.1981]-1991, into the farms and farmers of Senghenydd Supra in the parishes of Gelligaer and Merthyr Tydfil....................... draft chapters; papers relating to the Llantrisant and District Local History Society, 1981-1990; .................and typescripts of his lectures to history societies, 1988-1989"
Jones, Judith. Gelligaer and Merthyr Common: A South Wales landscape Past and Present. 2003.
"Gelligaer and Merthyr Common occupies nearly 8,000 acres of upland in north-east Glamorgan between the Rhymney and Taff valleys. Man has used this land more or less continuously since prehistoric times and has left his mark in many ways. It has been used for agriculture, encroached upon for housing and industry, and until modern times was administered through manorial courts by a succession of great landowners who held the lordship of Glamorgan.This new book, whose author is herself a commoner, summarises the history and archaeology of the common, it discusses how both the landscape of the common and the local farming community, who depend on the traditional common rights for their livelihood, can survive pressure from adjoining urban areas and from abuse of the land such as the dumping of rubbish and cars. It also discusses current changes in attitudes to commons.The book will be of interest not only to local historians and residents of the district but to anyone concerned with the future of the upland landscapes of Wales."
Gelligaer, Gelliargwellt deeds "Deeds relating to Gelliargwellt, Gelligaer, 1700-1823; deeds and miscellaneous documents relating to Tylaglas, in Gelligaer, and Mynyddislwyn (Monmouthshire), 1733-1900."
Perrott and Richards families, of Gelligaer and Bedwas, deeds and papers "Deeds and papers relating to Hengoed Hall and other property in Gelligaer, 1744-1798; deeds relating to Smith's forge and other property in Gelligaer, 1793-1800; deeds, legal and probate papers relating to the Perrott family, 1834-1947; record of births and deaths of the Jones family of Gelligaer, 1829-1855; and papers of Richards family of Gwernau Ganol and Gwernau Fawr, Bedwas (Monmouthshire), 1853-1955."