"BARGOED, a station on the Rhymney railway, on the mutual border of Monmouth and Wales, 18½ miles N of Cardiff. The Bargoed Rhymney valley here joins that of the Rhymney river; and is crossed by the railway on a handsome viaduct." [From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) on Vision of Britain]
The church is dedicated to St. Gwladys, is in the Benefice of Bargoed and Deri with Brithdir, and Diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference ST148992.
Anglican Parish Registers
No Registers have been deposited yet
Non Conformist Registers Deposited
OS Map Ref
South Street, Prebyterian Methodist
GRO - Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
National Coal Board : Bargoed Coke Ovens and By-Products Plant 1908-[c. 1959] "The Bargoed Colliery (Glamorgan) was sunk by the Powell Duffryn Steam Coal Company between 1887 and 1901. The first coal was produced in 1901. The colliery consisted of three shafts, the North and South (Steam Coal at 705 and 625 yards deep respectively) and the Brithdir house coal, which was sunk in 1903. ...................................... In addition to porducing coal, processing on-site took place to convert the coal to cokee, and a range of by-products were extracted, including benzole, naphthalene and tar, marketed as "Synthaprufe", "Synthacold", and "Synathaflex". ............................."
National Union of Mineworkers (South Wales Area): Bargoed Winding Enginemens' Lodge "Minute Books, 1928-1966. Financial Records, 1925-1973..................... "