"CYMMER is a village, 2½ miles south, in the ecclesiastical parish of Avan Vale, with a station on the Llynvi and Ogmore section of the Great Western railway from Bridgend, and also one on the Rhondda and Swansea Bay section of that railway, 187 miles from London. The village is lighted with gas from works in the village, the property of the Urban District Council. St. John's Mission church, in connection with the church of St. Gabriel, Abergwynfi, is a building of stone, erected in 1892; ..., and affords 150 sittings. There is a Congregational chapel, founded in 1794, with 400 sittings, a Baptist chapel, erected in 1893, seating 330, and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Cymmer Public Hall was erected in 1890, and enlarged in 1894; it will hold 800 persons, and is used for entertainments &c. In the place are some collieries." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is in the Benefice of Glyncorrwg with Afan Vale and Cymmer Afan, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS859961.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff