GENUKI Home Page Glamorgan Glamorgan Contents Contents Nearby Places Nearby Places

Knelston

"KNELSTON, in the Cwmwd of Gwyr, Cantref of Eginog (now called the  Hundred of Swansea), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a vicarage, not in charge:  Patrons, The Chapter of St. David's: The Church, which is now in ruins, was  dedicated to St. Maurice: but the Walls are nearly all standing.  The Resident  Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 76.  The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was 23..2..11, at 8s. 0d. in the pound.  It is 10 m. S. W.  from Swansea.  This is a small Parish.  The Impropriation belongs to the Vicar of Llan Ddewi for burying, christening and marrying the Parishioners in Llan Ddewi Church."
From:
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811

Bibliography
Cemeteries
Church History
Church Records
Description and Travel
Glamorgan Parish Map Directories
Maps
Population
Public Records
Schools

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

The church was dedicated to St. Mary, before it fell into disuse, is in the Benefice of Port Eynon with Rhosili with Llanddewi with Knelston and in the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS468890.

Anglican Parish Registers
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
Ancient ruined church without records. (See Llanddewi) 1784, 1790-1794, 1872-1874, 1876-1883

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Knelston parish  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Mary Greatorex)

"KNELSTON, or KNOLLSTON, a parish in the hundred of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 12 miles (W. by S.) from Swansea, containing 125 inhabitants. This is a very small parish, and the church, which was dedicated to St. Maurice, is now in ruins. Marriages, baptisms, and burials, are solemnized at the church of the adjoining parish of Llanddewi, for which additional duty a certain stipend is paid to the vicar of that parish by the Dean and Chapter of St. David's, to whom the rectorial tithes of Knelston are appropriated. The living is a vicarage, not in charge, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, and in the patronage of the Dean and Chapter. A school for the gratuitous instruction of children of this parish, and of the parishes of Llanddewi and Llangennith, is principally supported by the incumbent. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is 41 16"( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)

Directories

Transcript of complete name listing for the Gower parishes, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Population

The Population of Knelston was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 113 1851 - 127 1861 - 113 1871 - 95 1881 - 94 1891 - 83

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Hamlets, Towns and Villages

 


[Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.