We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LALYSTON, or, TREF LALYS,  in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, consolidated with the Vicarage of Newcastle, and of the certified value of £17.: Patron, The King: Church dedicated to St. Illtyd.  The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Higher and Lower Divisions) was 415.  The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £124..2..0, at 4s. 0d. in the pound.  It is 2m. W. from Bridgend.  This Parish contains about 700 acres of Land.  This village is said to take its Name from a person, called Lalys, a man eminent in the art of masonry, and who was brought from The Holy Land, about the year 1111, by Richard Granville, Lord of Neath: this man is reported to have built several Abbies and Churches, with many Castles, and other considerable works; and afterwards became architect to King Henry the First."   From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.


The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
  • Parish Church of St. David
  • Bethel Welsh Baptist Church


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Laleston area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

The Parish of Laleston

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St David's Church

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. David, and is in the Benefice of Laleston with Tythegston and Merthyr Mawr Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS875796.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1721-1899, Marriages, 1721-1837, Burials, 1721-1899. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1742-1937 1754-1971 1742-1936 - 1721, 1723-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Laleston Ecclesiastical Parish records    " ........  including registers of baptisms, 1742-1937; marriages, 1754-1839; burials, 1742-1936; banns, 1754-1953; services, 1878-1982; parochial church council minutes, 1932-1970; church affairs, 1894-1972; church history, 1958-c1990"

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Laleston, St. David - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1875


Non Conformist Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Horeb, Calvinistic Methodist 1882-1980 - - SS 87767992

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Laleston which are provided by:

Places, villages, farms etc within Laleston as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

  • Higher Laleston (95A) & Lower Laleston (95B); Broadland Fawr; Broadway; Cae'r-hen-eglwys; Caeau Gleison;  Cefn Cribwr; Cefn Cross; Cwm Ffos; Ffordd-y-Gyfraith; Hargrove; Laleston (village); Llangewydd; Llangewydd Court; Nant Ffornwg; Pantrosla; Pren-per; St Cewydd's Ch. (site of); Tirbach; Ty'n-y-cae; Ty'n-y-caeau.

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.


Transcript of name listing for Bridgend, and district, for the years:-
1858-9 (Slaters Directory) 1880 (Slaters Directory) (65k)

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Laleston has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county
Glamorgan Parish Map
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS875798 (Lat/Lon: 51.505852, -3.622391), Laleston which are provided by:


Thatcher at work at Laleston, Glamorgan - on the People's Collection Wales site


The Population of Laleston was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
1841 - 507 1851 - 538 1861 - 536 1871 - 571 1881 - 538 1891 - 576

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Laleston Civil Parish records    "Records of the Laleston Civil Parish including copies of tithe plan and apportionment, c1840; vestry minutes meeting book, 1875-1900; parish meeting minutes books, 1894-1963; parochial committee minutes book; 1913-1938; Bryntirion and Laleston playing fields management committee minutes book, 1961-1967; declaration of acceptance of office, 1919-1968; valuation book, 1854; rate books, 1901-1904; rate collectors monthly statements, 1897-1905; receipt books for parish rate, 1902-1904; receipt and payment books, 1919-1939; correspondence, 1918-1961, miscellaneous documents, 1885-1894"

  [Last Updated :  21 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks]