|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"LLECH WEDD, in the Cwmwd of Is Caeth, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Dinas Powys), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged Rectory, with the Rectory of Llan Doch: Patron, The Marquis of Bute: Church dedicated to St. James. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 74. The money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £70..10..10, at 3s. 9d. in the pound. It is 2 m. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish contains nearly 1000 acres of Land, all cultivated. It is situate on the River Elay."
From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
Glamorgan Chapels Database- None found in this parish
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. James.
A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1724-1880, Marriages, 1725-1838, Burials, 1724-1880. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1781-1966||1781-1810, 1813-1963||1781-1986||1823-1959||1724-1752, 1754-1769, 1771-1841|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
"LECKWITH (LLECHWEDD, or LLECH-WYDD), a parish in the hundred of DINAS-POWIS, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 1/2 miles (W. S. W.) from Cardiff, containing 112 inhabitants. This parish, of which the name signifies "the slope of the cliff," is situated on the river Ely, over which is a bridge of two arches. Limestone of good quality is found here in great abundance, and large quantities are quarried for building purposes, and also burnt as an article of manure for the supply of the surrounding neighbourhood. The village is situated on an eminence overlooking the marshes which intervene between it and Cardiff, and from Leckwith hill are some interesting and extensive views. The inhabitants are, from the exhalations rising from the lower grounds, subject to ague. The living, with Llandough and Cogan, forms a consolidated discharged rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, rated in the king's hooks at £8. 8. 4., and in the patronage of the Marquis of Bute. The church, which is remarkable for the simplicity of its style, is dedicated to St. James, and stands upon a high bank above the marshes. The poor children of the parish are gratuitously instructed in the National school at Llandough. The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £ 146. 1." A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.
Places, villages, farms etc within Leckwith parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks) [NB; the boundary between Llandaff and Leckwith parishes is missing on the map, allocation between them may not be 100% accurate therefore]
Leckwith Bridge - on Real Cardiff
|1880||(Slater's Directory) (302k)|
The Manor of Leckwith - from Cardiff Records, Volume II, Chapter I NOTES ON THE MANORS OF THE CARDIFF DISTRICT . (British History Online)
Minister's Account for the Lordship of Leckwith 1456 - on British History Online
|1841 - 121||1851 - 114||1861 - 133||1871 - 169||1881 - 177||1891 - 122|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996