GENUKI Home Page LlanblethianLlanblethian Contents Contents

Llanblethian

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llanblethian database compiled by Gareth Hicks

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

 

 

Baptist

No Baptist chapels found in this parish

 

Congregationalist

There are several places of worship for dissenters           (8)

 

Y Maendy Congregational chapel, Maendy, Llanblethian

  • Maendy Welsh Ind chapel, Llanblethian    Opened in 1749    (3)       
    [? this being the date that the CM chapel at Aberthin below was built]
  • Llanblethian, Maendy Ind - extant records (4)
  • MI s index   (5)
  • At Maindy is a Welsh Congregational chapel   1895  (6)               and 1910      Rev Thomas Thomas Jones   (7)
  • Maendy Ind chapel, Maendy   ST01007649    Built in 1802 and rebuilt/modified in 1842, still in use in 2003   (1)
  •  Maendy Independent chapel     Erected in 1802, rebuilt in 1842             John Evans, Minister                1851   (9)
  •  
  • 1800 June 2; Independant; a house in the possession of Robert REES; Howell POWELL, Thomas THOMAS, William THOMAS, Watkin JACOB  (2)
  • 1802 June 25; Independant; a house called Maindy (endorsed; Newly-erected); Willaim THOMAS, Watkin LEWIS, Richard JENKIN, Hugh MORGAN, David JOHN, Richard THOMAS, members of the said church   (2)
  • Maendy Ind chapel (no parish) shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh)- with translation by Maureen Saycell (April 2009)

Independent, Aberthin     (? same place as above )

  • Undated (endorsed; 1758); Independant; the dwelling house of Elizabeth LEWIS at Byrthun now erected and fitted for a meeting house; Henry DAVIES, David WILLIAM, John VAUGHN, Henry MILLER, Thomas HERRY(?), Rees JENKINS, Lewis DAVID, Thomas RICHARD, Thomas DAVID, Thomas STRADLING, Richard MILES, Lewlin ROBERT, David WILLIAM, Mary RICHARD, Marry (?) MORIS   (2)
  • 1797 February 18; Independant; a house situated in the village of Aburthin used as a meeting house for many years past; John WILLIAMS, Thomas WILLIAMS, David RICHARD, David THOMAS, Henry EDMUND, Jenkin JEREMIAH, David OWEN   (2)

 

Methodist

Aberthin Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Aberthin

  • Aberthin Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Aberthin     ST00817514    Built in 1749 and rebuilt/modified in 1780, rebuilt/enlarged in 1863, not still in use in 1993         (1)          [see Maendy Ind chapel above]
  • At Aberthyn is a Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel                    1895  (6)         and  1910  (7)
  • Aberthyn CM chapel         Erected in 1749, rebuilt in 1780                Richard Thomas, Deacon           1851  (9)

 

Other (inc un-identified)

 None

 

[Last Updated :  17 April 2009  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional