"ELY is a hamlet attached in 1871 for ecclesiastical purposes to the parish of Caerau, and is 1 mile southwest, with a station on the Cardiff section of the Great Western railway, 158 miles from London. The church of St. David, a chapel of ease to Caerau, built in 1871, is a plain building of local stone, in the Gothic style, ... there are 230 sittings. The Rev. David Lewis Marsden B.A. of St. David's, Lampeter, and vicar of Caerau, officiates. A parish room was erected in 1897. There is a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1910 at a cost of £3500, seating 750. Races are held here four times a year: there is a grand stand on the course. Two breweries and a jam factory are situated here. Llandaff and Dinas Powis Rural District Isolation Hospital was built in 1907 at a cost of £15,000, and will hold 32 patients." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
Transcript of name listing for Llandaff, with the parishes and villages of Caerau, Ely, Fairwater, Radyr, Llanilltern, St. Fagan's, Michaelston-super-Ely, and St. Bride's-super-Ely from Slaters Directory for 1880.