LLANDAFF (Llandaf or Llan-ar-daf) is an extensive parish in the hundred of Kibbor, Cardiff union and county court district, and Bristol district court of bankruptcy; it consists of the hamlets of Llandaff, Ely, Fairwater, and Gabalva, and Canton and Grangetown, suburbs of Cardiff, Llandaff is an ancient city, see of a bishop, in the archbishopric of Canterbury, distant about two miles from Cardiff, and 160 from London; it stands on a gentle eminence, the houses are neat, and have an air of comfort, and there are several fine residences in the vicinity. Its possible that its name may have been derived from Cyndav, one of the first missionaries that landed in Britain, or from the situation of the church on the banks of the river Taff. Although a city, it is but an inconsiderable place, and divested of its see and cathedral would only be considered a village possessing no claim to notice. Llandaff is recorded to be the oldest episcopal see in the kingdom. Fromthe first introduction of Christianity into Britain, a church is said to have existed here. The first missionaries that landed in Britain, were Ilid, Cyndap, and Arwystli Hen; they came with Bran the Blessed, the father of Caractacus (Cradawe). About 67 yearsafterwards, there reigned over this county one of the name of Lleirwg, who was the con of Coll-ap-Cyllin, ap Caradawc ap Bran. He was educated at Rome, by his uncle St. Timothy, the son of Claudia, and the grandson of the brave Caractacus. He was baptised there in his eighteenth year, and to commemorate the event, he founded and endowed four religious houses, viz :- Winchester, St. Martin's, St. Peter's (Cornhill), and Llandaff. It is stated that Lleirwg lived at Rhyd-Laver, a large farm house in the parish of St. Fagan's and that his church was at Llandaff. Lleirwg died A.D. 201, and was buried at Gloucester. But Llandaff did not rise to the jurisdication of a bishopric until the beginning of the fifth century, it was one of the wealthiest churches in the Christendom, but it suffered great depredations at the Norman Conquest, and shortly afterwards it was deprived if most of its possessions. The diocese contains 177 parishes, comprising the whole of the counties of Monmouth and Glamorgan, with the exception of the hundred of Gower. The present bishop of the diocese is the Right Reverend Alfred Ollivant, B.D. The cathedral is a stately edifice, situated in a valley. The present building was commenced by Bishop Urban, A.D. 1120, but was not completed before the end of the 13th century. It is of the Gothic style, but there is a mixture of Norman, and some portions of the architecture is of later periods; the length of the building is 300 feet by 80 feet in breadth. The west front is a beautiful specimen of the early pointed style, and at the north west angle is a square tower of the Tudor age, engrafted upon an earlier one. At the east end is a chapel, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, and on the south side stands the chapter house. The ancient structure having fallen into decay, a new edifice was built A.D. 1751, within the old walls. The cathedral has recently undergone extensive restoration under the superintendence of John Prichard, Esq., the diocesan architect. In the north aisle are several monuments, with effigies of mailed warriors and mitred bishops. A peal of 7 bells in memory to the late Dean Williams, has recently been added to the old tenor bell, at a cost of about #800, defrayed by subscription. Near the cathedralare the remains of the ancient castellated palace of the bishops; the bishop's court was purchased in 1850; services in the English and Welsh languages are conducted in the cathedral. There are also chapels for Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodists, and a National school. W. S. Cartwright, Esq., is lord of the manor. In the garden in this parish is an old oak tree, supposed to have been planted as early as A.D. 1204; it divides Llandaff from the parish of Whitchurch. The benevolent institutions are : Howell's charity schools, erected in 1859, for the board, clothing amd education of orphan girls, by the Drapers' Company of the City of London, out of funds bequeathed to them by Thomas Howell, one of their members, who died at Seville, in Spain, in 1540; also the South Wales and Monmouthshire House of Mercy, established in 1862. This institution is superintended by a lady and two assistants, its object being the rescue of these women who have falled from the parths of virtue, and either to return themto their friends or place them in situations where they may earn an honest livelihood. There is also an industrial training school at Ely in connection with the union. The magistrates for the hundred of Kibbor meet every Monday at the police station. Fairs are held February 9th; and Whit Monday and Tuesday. The population of the parish, which includes Canton, a populous suburb to Cardiff, was in 1851, 1,821; in 1861 it had increased to 6,585; and in 1871 it had further increased to 11,922.
The Following places are all in the poor law union and county court and postal district of Cardiff, and in the same diocese and archdeaconry at that town :-
CAIRAU, or Caerau, is a small parish and village, 3.5 miles from Cardiff, and 2 from Llandaff, in the hundred of Kibbor. The church is about half a mile from the village, situated on a hill, where there are traces of a Roman encampment. In the churchyard is the grave of a person of the name William Edward, who died in the 16th or 17th century, at the age of 164. There is also a Chapel of Ease, on the Cowbridge road, near Ely. The living is a vicarage, in the gift of the Bishop. Population in 1861, 131; in 1871, 102.
ST. FAGAN'S is a parish and pleasant village 2 miles from Llandaff, and 4 w. from Cardiff, in the hundred of Kibbor, and a station on the Great Western Railway. It is famous for a battle fought between the Royalists and Roundheads in 1648, inwhich the Royalists numbered about 8, 000 strong, under the command of General Laugharne, and after a severe contest were defeated by the hardy veterans of the Commonwealth, under Colonel Horton. The parish derives its name from Fagan, one of four, and the most illustrious, sent from Rome to this country as teachers of Christianity, and who preached the Gospel in this village. After his death, a church was erected and dedicated to him near the spot where the present church now stands, but no traces of it now remain. St. Fagan's Castle is a large baronial residence, the seat of Lord Windsor. Opposite the principal entrance to the mansion stands the parish church of St. Mary, which in 1860 was throughly restored and considerably enlarged by the addition of a second nave, at a cost of #2,000, which was chiefly defrayed by the munificence of the late Lady Windsor. In the interior is an ancient carved font, said to have belonged to the church of St. Fagan; there are several stained glass windows to the memory of the Clive family. The living is a rectory, to which is annexed te parochial chapelry of Llanillterne, 4.5 miles from Llandaff, which is in this parish, but separated for ecclesiastical purposes; it is in the patronage of the Lord Windsor. There is also a chapel for the Calvinistic Methodists, and a National school. Population in 1871, of St. Fagan's, 536; of Llanillterne, 155.
ST. BRIDES-SUPER-ELY is a parish about 5 miles from Llandaff, and 7 from Cardiff, and in the hundred of Dinas Powis. The Great Western Railway intersects the parish. The parish church is a rectory, annexed to that if Michaelstone-super-Ely (St. Michael's) in the patronage of Mrs. Traherne. The church is about 2 miles distant from St. Bride's, and 4.5 miles from Llandaff. Population of Michaelstone in 1871, 42; and of St. Bride's, 103.
RADYR, or Radir, is a parish 1.5 miles from Llandaff, and 3.5 miles from Cardiff, in the hundred of Kibbor. The Taff Vale and Penarth Railways intersect the parish. The living of the church is a vicarage in the parish, and contains a Calvinistic Methodist chapel. Population in 1861, 472; in 1871, 422.
POST OFFICE, Llandaff, John Howe, Post Master.
- Letters from all parts arrive (from Cardiff) at seven
and half-past ten morning, and five evening, and are
despatched thereto at a quarter past eight morning,
fifty-five minutes past oneafternoon, and a quarter past
POST OFFICE, Ely, William Lewis, Post Master.
- Letters from all parts arrive (from Cardiff) at a
quarter-past seven morning, and are despatched thereto at
fifty minutes past five evening.
POST OFFICE, St. Fagan's, Evan Thomas, Post
Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (from Cardiff)
at ten minutes past eight morning, and are despatched
thereto at forty minutes past four afternoon
POST OFFICE, St. Bride's-super-Ely, John Griffiths,
Post Master. - Letters from all parts arrive (from
Cardiff) at a quarter past nine morning, and are despatched
thereto at quarter to four afternoon.
National Schools :-
Llandaff - George James, master; Lilla Roddis, mistress; Kate Barnes, infants' mistressStevens Mary A., Llandaff
Llandaff yard - Emily Mayne, mistress
Llanillerne - Miss Gifford, mistress
St. Fagan's - Walter G. Warwick, master
Davis Jacob H., SaintwellIn Llandaff Parish :-
Emmerson William, Swelldown
Rees George, New House
Thomas Edward, Cairau Farm
Thomas Thomas, Penlan
Baker William, Brook House, FairwaterIn Llanillterne Parish :-
Cartwright W. S., Fairwater
Davies David, Wedal
Harbottle John, Farm Goch
Harding James H., Monachty
Harry William, Canton
Lewis Meshach, Began
Lewis William, Pontcanna
Llewellyn Thomas, Upper House
Thomas George (and agricultural valuer), Ely Farm
Thomas William, Court Farm
Williams William, Red House
James William, PencoedIn Radyr Parish :-
Jones Charles, Llwynoli
Lewis Anthony, Tydu
Lewis Edward, Park
Bassett Thomas, WaterhallIn St. Bride's and Michaelstone-super-Ely Parishes :-
Evans William H., Radyr Court
Hugh William, Goetra fawr
Lowrie William, Radyr Farm
Morgan Morgan T., Cwmfynnonau
Rees Lewis, Maes-y-llech
Roberts Thomas, Heol Isaf
Williams John, Gylynis
Evans Thomas, Green Farm, MichaelstoneIn St. Fagan's Parish :-
Gibbon Samuel, Michaelstone
Griffiths John, New House
Huckwell John, Palla
Morgan Gwenllian, Forty
John Evan, Red House
Thomas Richard, Great House, Michaelstone
Watts Edward, Sant-y-nill
Akers James M., Pentrebane
Davies William, Lower Stockland
Evans Thomas, New House
Francis Daniel, Upper Stockland
Hopkins Mary, Tregurnog
Lewis William, Llanmaes
Morgan John, Culver House
Payne Mary, Rhydlaver
Phillips Ann, Penhevad
Williams Thomas, Llwyn-yr-Eos
Lord Bishop - The Right Rev. Alfred Ollivant, D.D.
Dean - The Very Rev. Charles J. Vaughan, D.D.
Venerable & Rev. Wm. Crawley, M.A., and Venerable & Rev. John Griffiths, B.D.Chancellor of the Church - Rev. George Woods, M.A.
Chancellor of the Diocese - Joseph Earle Ollivant, M.A.
Rural Deans -
Rev. John Griffith, M.A.; Rev. Gilbert C. F. Harries, M.A.; Rev. Charles Parsons, M.A., Rev. J. Powell Jones, B.D.; Rev. George Woods, M.A.; Rev. Charles F. B. Wood, M.A.; Rev. C. R. Knight, M.A.; Rev. J. Griffiths; Rev. Thomas Edmondes, M.A. ; Rev. F. W. Edmondes, M.A.; Rev. E. A. Allen, M.A.; Rev. John Lloyd, M.A.; Rev. William Evans; Rev. William Feetham, M.A.; Rev. Daniel G. Davies, M.A.; Rev. A. C. Saunders, M.A.; Rev. E. Turberville William, M.A.; Rev. H. Powell Edwards, M.A.; Rev. S. Catley Baker, B.A.; Rev. W. N. Eliot, B.A. and Rev. Edward Hawkins, M. A.Residentiary Canons -
Ven. Archdeacon Crawley, M.A.; Rev. Edwd. Hawkins, M.A.; Venerable Archdeacon Griffiths, B.D. and Right Rev. Charles Perry, BishopHonorary Canons -
Rev. Wm. Holt Beever, M.A.; Rev. Gilbert C. F. Harries, M.A.; Rev. Howell Powell Edwards, M.A. , Rev. Bury Capel, M.A.; and Rev. William EvansMinor Canons -
Rev. Henry Parsons, M.A., and Rev. E. A. Fishbourne, M.A.Precentor - Rev. Charles F. Bryan Wood, M.A.
Bishop's Chaplain - Rev. T. C. Wilks, M.A.
Examining Chaplains -
Rev. W. H. Beever, M.A., and Ven. Archdeacon Griffiths, B.,D.Secretaries to the Bishop - Messrs. Burder & Dunning, London
Chapter and Diocesan Architect - John Prichard
Chapter Surveyor - Edward David
Registrar - S. Dunning
Organist - Charles L. Williams
Verger - Morgan Morgan
Sexton - George Harris
St. Mary's, St. Fagan's - Rev. Wm. David, M.A.
St. Michael's, Michaelstone-super-Ely - Rev. William W. Harries, rector
Parish Churches :-
St. Bride's-super-Ely - Rev. William W. Harries, rectorChapel of Ease, Ely - Rev. William Johns, vicar
Cairau - Rev. William Johns, vicar
Llanillterne - Rev. William David, M.A., rector; Rev. Henry J. Humphreys, curate
Radyr - Rev. Henry J. Humphreys, vicar
Methodist (Calvinistic), Llandaff, St. Fagan's and Morganstown
Methodist (Welseyan, Welsh & English), Llandaff and Ely
Methodist (Primitive), Llandaff yard
Independent, Llanillterne - Rev. John Davies
Independent, St. Bride's-super-Ely
Police Office, Llandaff - Edward Rees, sergeant
Slaters Commercial Directory, Llandaff, Glamorgan, 1880
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996