GENUKI Home Page Glamorgan Glamorgan Contents Contents Nearby Places Nearby Places

Llandeilo Talybont

"LLAN DEILO TAL Y BONT, in the Cwmwd of Derfedd, Cantref of Ffiniog (now called the Hundred of Llan Gefelach), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a discharged V., valued in the King's Books at 4.14.7: Patron, Lord Vernon: Church ded. to St. Teilo.  The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (containing the Parcels of Brisg Edwin, Glynn Llychwr, Gwyli, Tir yr Brennin, and Ynys Llychwr) was 595.  The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was 171.18.10, at 8s. in the pound.  It is 10 m. N. W. from Swansea.  The Fair is holden on the first Monday after Old Christmas Day.  This Parish is about six miles in length, and three miles in breadth; one fifth of which is uncultivated.  It abounds with Coal; and is situate upon the river Llougher.  The ancient Monastery of Court y Carne, now in ruins, to which belonged a Manor and a Mill, was appendant to the Abbey of Cadoxton: it is now the property of The Rev. J. P. Cuny."
(From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)
Bibliography
Cemeteries
Church History
Church Records
Description and Travel
Glamorgan Parish Map Maps
Occupations
Population
Public Records
Schools

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

Cemeteries

St. Teilo's church, Bolgoed, built in 1851 on land donated by Howel Gwyn of Dyffryn, Neath. This church yard was used for parish burials from that date along with the Old Church yard on the marsh. The old churchyard burials were discontinued c1922. There are however one or two isolated burials on the marsh since 1922. (Deric John)

Church History

Chapels Database - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of  the site of the original parish church of Llandeilo Tal y bont

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Teilo's Church, Pontardulais

St Teilo's Church on the Museum of Welsh Life site

The Parish Church at Llandeilo Tal-y-bont  (by Maura Bennett) - on the Glamorgan FHS site

LLANDILO TALYBONT CHURCH.

"Remarks: Note, The old parish Church of Llandilotalybont is most awkwardly situated on the verge of the river Loughor, surrounded by vast Marches, which are often overflown by Tides and floods 3 or 4 feet deep over the paths leading thereto so as to render it impossible for the people to attend at such times.Afternoon and evening services are performed by License in the National Schoolroom at the Village of Pontarddulais. The afternoon service is performed in English, and the Evening in Welsh, till the New Church now Building is Consecrated." Thomas Clarke. Vicar (Informant).
(From;- Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976)

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Teilo, is in the Benefice of Llandeilo-Talybont (Pontarddulais), and Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN596033.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1662-1757, 1782-1950 1662-1928 1662-1757, 1782-1960 1883-1918 1672, 1679, 1681-1682, 1684, 1693, 1696-1698, 1700-1701, 1703-1704, 1710, 1712-1713, 1718, 1725, 1727, 1729, 1731-1734, 1736-1746, 1749-1800, 1802-1803, 1805-1859, 1861-1865, 1868, 1872-1873

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llandeilo Talybont  as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Gareth Hicks)

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

An extensive database of facts, maps & images relating to Llandeilo Talybont parish  - contributed by Deric John

Llandeilo Talybont Castle - on Castle Wales

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Occupations

Birchrock Colliery (Cwmdulais Valley) on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Population

The Population of Llandeilo Talybont was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 1,410 1851 - 1,408 1861 - 1,331 1871 - 1,760 1881 - 3,247 1891 - 4,634

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Hamlets, Towns and Villages

Llandeilo Talybont


[Last Updated : 12 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.