GENUKI Home Page Llandeilo Talybont Llandeilo Talybont Contents Contents

Llandeilo Talybont

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This  Llandeilo Talybont database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

 Additional Sources

 

See also Pontardulais Churches and Chapels - Deric John's site

 

Baptist

Noddfa Baptist chapel, Alexandra Rd, Gorseinon

  • Noddfa Baptist chapel, Alexandra Rd, Gorseinon  SS58829875  Built in 1898     (1)

Penuel Baptist chapel, Loughor Rd, Gorseinon

  • Penuel Baptist, Loughor Rd, Gorseinon   SS58149805  Built in 1842 and rebuilt or modified in 1859 and 1864  (1)

Seion Baptist chapel (Hen Gapel), High St, Gorseinon

  • Seion Baptist (Hen Gapel), High St, Gorseinon   SS59089871   Built in 1890 and rebuilt or modified in 1903 (1)
  • Baptist (Welsh), Gorseinon  Rev John Salem Hopkins   1895  (2)  (doesn't say Seion)
  • Baptist (Welsh), Gorseinon    Rev Morgan John Jones  1910  (3)    (doesn't say Seion)

Saron Baptist chapel, Penrheol, Gorseinon

  • Saron Baptist chapel, Penrheol, Gorseinon  SS58199927   (1)

Bethania Baptist chapel, Pontlliw/Grovesend

  •  Bethania, High St, Grovesend     SN59090083   Denomination not given   (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bethania Baptist Church, Grovesend, Pontarddulais, Marriage Register     1954-1960

Carmel Baptist chapel, Carmel Rd, Pontlliw

  • Carmel Baptist, Carmel Rd, Pontlliw  SN60880124   Built in 1834, rebuilt or modified in 1851 and 1885  (1)
  • Carmel Chapel, Pontlliw. (assumed to be this Baptist chapel as at least one Baptist buried there) Memorial Indexes by Sheila Francis
  • Has an index entry in The history of Pontardulais & Rebecca in Pontardulais   Evans, E Lewis (ed).Translated in September 1985 by Ivor  Griffiths
  • Baptist (Welsh) Pont-lliw.   1895  (2)
  • Carmel Baptist (Welsh) Pont-lliw   Rev David Henry Davies 1910 (3)
  • Carmel (Pontlliw) 1834           (7)
  • Carmel Baptist, Gwenlais              Erected in 1835      " As the chapel is now Rebuilding, the Congregation and School is interupted....."             John Lewis, Deacon, Goldengrove    1851   (8)

Tabernacle Baptist chapel, Bryn Rd, Pontarddulais.

  • Tabernacle Baptist chapel, Bryn Rd, Pontarddulais.  SN58910376  Built in 1871 and rebuilt in 1901  (1)
  • Baptist Tabernacle (Welsh)  Rev Daniel Hopkins  1895   (2)
  • Baptist Tabernacle (Welsh)  Rev George Williams   1910  (3)
  • Y Tabernacl (Bryn Road, Pontardulais) 1872    (7)

Calfaria Baptist (Welsh) (Pontarddulais/Gorseinon area)

  • Calfaria Baptist (Welsh)  Rev James Young Jones  1895  (2)

Y Babell (Bolgoed Rd. Pontardulais)

  • Y Babell (Bolgoed Rd. Pontardulais) 1906                    (7)
  • Babell (Schoolroom), Pontarddulais  SN5903   Denomination not given   (1)

 

Congregationalist

Bethel English Independent chapel, West St, Gorseinon

  • Bethel English Independent chapel, West St, Gorseinon    SS58949853  Built in 1895   (1)
  • Bethel Congregational (English), Gorseinon   Rev R Davies Williams   1910  (3)

Brynteg Independent chapel, Gorseinon

  • Brynteg Independent, Brynteg Rd, Gorseinon.  SS58709924   Built in 1847 and rebuilt or modified in 1897  (1)
  • Brynteg Independent Sunday School (Vestry), Brynteg Rd, Gorseinon.  SS58749927  Built in 1693 with rebuilds 1815, 1848 and in 1898   (1)
  • Brynteg chapel, Independents             Erected final in 1815          Isaac Williams, Minister, Brynteg, Loughor, near Llanelly     1851   (8)
  •  
  • See index  The History of Brynteg, Gorseinon  [Independent chapel] by Williams, John Ceri and D. Tom Davies . Translated by Ivor Griffiths 2000.
  • Brynteg Congregational (Welsh)  1910  (3)
  • There is the book by Lloyd, W Alwyn. Hanes Brynteg, Gorseinon yn ystod gweinidogaeth y Parchedig John Stephens. Y Cofiadur. 64 (2000)    (6)
  • Rees, Thomas & Thomas, John. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru.   (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes 1871+.
    Here is the (Welsh) extract from this book for Brynteg, Gorseinon, contributed by Darris G Williams - with translation

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Brynteg Chapel, Gorseinon, records 1893-2002;   including file relating to the chapel history, 1980; annual reports, 1978-2002; records of chapel trustees, late 19th cent.; volumes relating to finance 1941-1998; records regarding church property and procedures 1971-2002; programmes and service leaflets for special events and services 1985-1997; information booklets 1987-2001; other documents relating to church property, 1893-c.1897; and artefacts
    "The cause began as a branch of the church at Tirdwncyn. This later became Mynydd-bach, holding meetings in a farmhouse in the Upper Town area of Loughor. In the beginning of the eighteenth century, the congregation moved to new premises at Rhydymaerdy. In 1815, the old chapel at Brynteg was built and a new building was erected in 1897 to the north of the existing chapel."
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Ebenezer Independent chapel, Gwalia Crescent, Gorseinon

  • Ebenezer Independent chapel, Gwalia Crescent, Gorseinon   SS59659867  Built in 1887    (1)
  • Ebenezer Congregational (Welsh)  Rev David Howell Thomas  1895  (2)
  • Ebenezer Congregational (Welsh)  Rev David Howell Thomas  1910  (3)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Ebeneser Independent Church, Gorseinon, papers     "including annual reports, 1899-2004; minutes, 1965-1975; Baptism register (draft), 1977-1982; commemorative issues of the church magazine, 1959."
    "An Independent congregation, associated with Mynydd-bach chapel, Llangyfelach, Glamorgan, began meeting in a house in Loughor, later moving to Rhyd-y-maerdy and building a chapel there in 1815. With the growth of the new town of Gorseinon, Glamorgan, a branch congregation was established there in the 1880s and Ebeneser Chapel was built in 1887 at a cost of 9000. Following the 1904-5 Revival the chapel had become too small for the growing congregation and a new chapel was opened in 1909."
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Hebron Independent chapel, Grovesend

  • Hebron Independent chapel, Coalbrook Rd, Grovesend   SN59110058  Built in 1821, rebuilt or modified in 1849 and 1882    (1)

Peniel Independent chapel, Pontlliw

  • Peniel (Pontlliw) 1908            (7)

Tynewydd Congregational  (Pontarddulais/Gorseinon area)

  • Tynewydd Congregational (Welsh)   Rev Grifith Jones   1895   (2)

Congregational English  (Pontarddulais/Gorseinon area)

  • Congregational English    Rev Benj Davies H Williams   1895  (2)

Siloh Congregational, Glynllwhwr Rd., Pontarddulais

  • Siloh Congregational   1895  (2)
  • Siloh Congregational (Welsh)  1910  (3)
  • Siloh (Glynllwhwr Rd. Pontardulais) 1893     (7)
  • Seilo Ind chapel, Pontarddulais - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Hope Congregational, St Teilo st., Pontarddulais

  • Hope, Pontarddulais    SN5903   Denomination not given, built in 1869 and rebuilt or modified 1872, rebuilt or modified again 1880   (1)
  • Hope has an entry in the index to The history of Pontardulais & Rebecca in Pontardulais Evans, E Lewis (ed).Translated in September 1985 by Ivor  Griffiths
  • Hope Congregational (Welsh)  Rev David Lloyd Morgan  1895  (2)
  • Hope Congregational (Welsh)  Rev David Lloyd Morgan  1910  (3)
  • There is the book by  Evans, Evan Lewis. Eglwys Hope Pontarddulais. Abertawe : Gwasg John Penry, [1969]. p80   (6)
  • Hope (St Teilo st. Pontardulais) 1868      (7)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas.  Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches),4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh ) - translated by Eleri Rowlands (Oct 2008)

 

Methodist

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist chapel (Libanus branch), Gorseinon

  • Bethel Calvinistic Methodist chapel (Libanus branch), Gorseinon.  SS5898   (1)

Libanus Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Libanus Rd, Gorseinon

  • Libanus Calvinistic Methodist, Libanus Rd, Gorseinon. SS59009822  Built in 1890, rebuilt or modified in 1901 (1)
  • Libanus CM  (Welsh)  1895  (2)
  • Libanus CM  (Welsh)   1910  (3)
  • See under Chapter 16, Ammanford Division, for lists of Libanus, Pontarddulais (?) names copied from  Hanes Methodistiaeth Sir Gaerfyrddin (The History of the Methodists in Carmarthenshire). By Rev James Morris. Published 1911  Translated by Ivor Griffiths, 1994.

Tabernacle CM chapel, Gorseinon

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Tabernacle English Methodist Church, Gorseinon, records            ".... comprises marriage registers, 1930-1969"

Wesleyan, English, Gorseinon,

  • Wesleyan English   1895  (2)
  • Wesleyan English     1910 (3)

Capel Rehoboth Welsh Wesleyan chapel, Gorseinon

  • Both directories (2) & (3) have reference to a 'Wesleyan Welsh' chapel in the area

Goppa Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Goppa Rd, Pontarddulais

  • Goppa Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Goppa Rd, Pontarddulais  SN60100336 Built in 1773/5, rebuilt or modified 1835/6,1870 and in 1890   (1)
  • The index for the book History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index) has an entry for the Goppa, Pontardulais   (5)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Goppa (Welsh)   1895  (2)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Goppa (Welsh)   1910  (3)
  • Y Gopa (Pontardulais) 1775  (7)
  • St James' Chapel or Goppa-Fach CM         Erected in 1775, rebuilt in 1843   "The congregation is smaller during the four months in the winter when the day is short, as it is seen in the return"   John Jones, Secretary, Cwm-y-llech              1851  (8)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Goppa CM, Pontarddulais, Baptism Register   1870-1888.

 

  • Gopa Pontarddulais Welsh  CM chapel    Heol y Gopa, Pontarddulais, Abertawe SA4 8JN - still open in 2006

Hermon Welsh CM chapel, St. Teilo St., Pontarddulais

  • Hermon, Pontarddulais   SN5903  Denomination not given, built in 1886 and rebuilt or modified in 1894    (1)
  • Hermon (Methodist) has an entry in the index to The history of Pontardulais & Rebecca in Pontardulais Evans, E Lewis (ed).Translated in September 1985 by Ivor  Griffiths
  • Hermon Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh)    1895  (2)
  • Hermon Calvinistic Methodist  (Welsh)  Rev Rees Davies  1910  (3)
  • Hermon (St. Teilo St. Pontardulais) 1885    (7)

Trinity (Welsh Wesleyan), St. Teilo St., Pontarddulais

  • Trinity chapel has an entry in the index to The history of Pontardulais & Rebecca in Pontardulais Evans, E Lewis (ed).Translated in September 1985 by Ivor  Griffiths
  •  
  • Trinity (Wesleyan, St. Teilo St. Pontardulais) 1891  (7)
  • Trinity Wesleyan Methodist                 Erected in 1811            Robert Williams, Minister, Pleasant Row, Swansea    1851   (8)
  • Capel Triniti, Pontarddulais: accounts, 1890-1973; minutes, 1932-1942; Sunday School records, 1887-1972; photographs, circa 1890-1910                    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service

Tabernacle Calvinistic Methodist (English), St. Teilo St., Pontarddulais

  • Tabernacle Calvinistic Methodist (English)   Rev Thomas Francis  1910  (3)
  • English Presbyterian (St. Teilo St. Pontardulais)              (7)

English Wesleyan (Water St. Pontardulais)

  • English Wesleyan (Water St. Pontardulais)    (7)
  • Pontarddulais English CM chapel         St Teilo Street, , Pontarddulais, Abertawe SA4 8LH  - still open in 2006

 

Other (or unidentified)

St Brides Roman Catholic, (Oakfield St. Pontardulais)

  • St Brides, Roman Catholic, (Oakfield St. Pontardulais) 1924   (7)

Caersalem, Princes St, Gorseinon

  • Caersalem, Princes St, Gorseinon  SS58669890   Denomination not given.   (1)

Church, West St, Gorseinon

  • Church, West St, Gorseinon  SS58949887   Denomination not given.   (1)

English, Gorseinon

  • English, Gorseinon   SS5898    Denomination not given, built in 1881   (1)

Gospel Hall, Park Rd, Gorseinon

  • Gospel Hall, Park Rd, Gorseinon   SS58679856    Denomination not given.   (1)

Hall, Brunant Rd, Gorseinon.  

  • Hall, Brunant Rd, Gorseinon SS58989909   Denomination not given.   (1)

Hall (Chapel), Bryn Terrace, Gorseinon

  • Hall (Chapel), Bryn Terrace, Gorseinon   SS59539846    Denomination not given.   (1)

Swansea Road chapel, Swansea Rd, Gorseinon

  • Swansea Road chapel, Swansea Rd, Gorseinon   SS59219778   Denomination not given.   (1)

Mount Pleasant, High St, Grovesend

  • Mount Pleasant, High St, Grovesend   SN59190073   Denomination not given.   (1

Bethel, Llandeilo Talybont

  • Bethel, Llandeilo Talybont  SN5903   Denomination not given.   (1)

Siloh, Llandelo Talybont

  • Siloh, Llandelo Talybont  SN5902  Denomination not given, built in 1894  (1)

Trinity, Llandeilo Talybont

  • Trinity, Llandeilo Talybont   SS5898  Denomination not given, built in 1808/12, enlarged in 1829 and rebuilt or modified 1863, 1873 and in 1891/2   (1)

Beulah (Pentecostel, Twyniago, Pontardulais)

  • Beulah (Pentecostel, Twyniago, Pontardulais) c1924      (7)

Carmel (Apostolic, Water St, Pontardulais)

  • Carmel (Apostolic, Water St, Pontardulais) 19??              (7)

Noddfa (Apostolic, old Salvation Army hut Oakfield st. Pontardulais)

  • Noddfa (Apostolic, old Salvation Army hut Oakfield st. Pontardulais) 19??      (7)

Swansea Road, Pontarddulais

  • Swansea Road, Pontarddulais. SN5903  Denomination not given     (1)

Pentrebach, Ebeneser, Pontarddulais

  • Pentrebach, Ebeneser, Pontarddulais  SN5903 Denomination not given, built 1857 & rebuilt or modified in 1898  (1)

Bethania (Schoolroom), Pontlliw

  • Bethania (Schoolroom), Pontlliw SN6001  Denomination not given   (1)

Bethel (Apostolic), Pont-lliw

  • Bethel (Apostolic), Pont-lliw    SN61120051   (1)

Mission Hall, Pontlliw

  • Mission Hall, Pontlliw   SN61080109   Denomination not given   (1)

Capel Drum & Eglwys Drum on Cefn Drum

  • There was a Capel Drum and an Eglwys Drum on Cefn Drum (19thcentury) but little more is known of these  (7)
 

[Last Updated : 6 Nov 2011 -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.