Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Gorseinon in the Parish of Llandeilo Talybont

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Gorseinon in the Parish of Llandeilo Talybont

"GORSEINON, a rising village in this parish, about 4 miles south, has a station on the London, Midland and Scottish railway. It was formed into an ecclesiastical parish by Order in Council dated Oct. I4th, 1913. The church of St, Catherine, erected in 1912-13 at a cost of £15,500, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, ...: in the chancel there is a stained glass window in memory of William Lewis esq. (d. 1902): there are 750 sittings. The register dates from the year 1913. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £400, in the gift of the Bishop of St, David's and the Board of Patronage, ...The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1883 as a chapel of ease to St. Teilo's, at a cost of £1,821, and now attached to St. Catherine, is a cruciform building in the Early English style, ... has sittings for 250 persons. St. Catherine's (English) Mission Room here, built by Willian Lewis esq. was opened in 1899. There are also English and Welsh Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist and Congregational chapels here; the English Congregational chapel, erected in 1894, at a cost of £900, seats 400 persons. A Celtic cross with ropework ornamentation was erected in 1922, as a memorial to the men of the parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. Princes Park, which was opened to the public in 1923, extends over 7 acres. There are tinplate, steel, vitriol and galvanizing works and collieries."  [From  Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923  (ArchiveCDBooks)  - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]

Bibliography

Williams, John Ceri and D. Tom Davies. The History of Brynteg, Gorseinon [Independent chapel].Translated by Ivor Griffiths 2000. Index by Gareth Hicks

Church History

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of St Catherine's Church

Rees, Thomas & Thomas, John. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru.   (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes 1871+.
Here is the ( Welsh) extract from this book for Brynteg, Gorseinon , contributed by Darris G Williams - with translation by Maureen Saycell

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

The church is dedicated to St. Catherine, is in the Benefice of Gorseinon and the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS586987.

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Gorseinon ecclesiastical parish records              "Registers (including service and banns registers) 1883-1999; Churchwardens' accounts and records relating to church fabric 1881-1993; PCC minutes 1963-1993; church history 1983; parish magazines 1898-2001; photographs of the church and its members, c. 1900-1990s; orders of service and other records, n.d., early 20th cent.-1997."

 

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the West Glamorgan Archive Service (WGAS)
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref  
English Wesleyan 1955-1964 - - SS 59539847  

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Gorseinon in the Parish of Llandeilo Talybont which are provided by:

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Gorseinon in the Parish of Llandeilo Talybont has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Ask for a calculation of the distance from Gorseinon in the Parish of Llandeilo Talybont to another place.

Land and Property

Lewis family of Gorseinon
1852-1981: deeds and estate papers
[West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D/D CV 4]

Occupations

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Garngoch No. 3 Colliery        "Employment Registers 1923-1954"
    "The Garngoch Collieries were sunk at Gorseinon near Swansea. In 1870, Glassbrook Bros. Ltd. sank the first two pits at the site and named them Garngoch No. 1 and No. 2. Garngoch No. 3 was a much later sinking during the 1920s. ............................... Garngoch No. 1 Pit was closed in April 1952 and the No. 2 Pit shortly afterwards........................Garngoch was finally closed in February 1966."     (Source: Ray Lawrence, The South Wales Coalfield Directory, Vol. 2 (1998 edn), p. 228)

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Gorseinon School records        " ....... including log books, 1893-1967; admission registers, 1881-1953; attendance registers, 1932-1991; summary registers, 1907-1944; teacher's attendance registers, 1962-1970; miscellaneous, 1949-1958."
    "The board school was opened in 1893 for 255 children with Mrs. Margaret Rees as mistress of the infants school and Mr Jones as head of the mixed school."  
  • Kingsbridge School log book  1908-1952      "Kingsbridge School in Gorseinon, Swansea, was opened in 1908. The primary school moved premises in 1977 and is now known as Pontybrenin School."
  • Penyrheol School Log Books      1880-1945.