Report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llandeilo Talybont - Gazetteers

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llandeilo Talybont - Gazetteers

Extract from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

"LLANDEILO, or LLANDILO-TALYBONT, a parish in the hundred of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 8 1/2 miles (N. W. by N.) from Swansea, containing 1253 inhabitants.

The village is pleasantly situated on the river Loughor, which here forms a boundary between the counties of Carmarthen and Glamorgan, and on the turnpike road through Pontardulas to Swansea. The river, which at high tides is navigable to the church, affords a facility for the importation of limestone, which is brought in small craft, and burnt as a manure for the supply of the neighbourhood. This parish is comprised within the coal basin of South Wales, but the mines are worked only for the supply of the inhabitants.

The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, rated in the king's books at £4. 14. 7., and in the patronage of John Edwards Vaughan, Esq. The church is dedicated to St. Teilo, from which circumstance the parish takes its name. There are places of worship for Independents and Welsh Calvinistic and Wesleyan Methodists.

At the distance of about two hundred yards from the river Loughor is a tumulus, called by the inhabitants Banc Llwyn y Domen : it is surrounded by a trench, and is supposed to have been thrown up for the purpose of defending the passage of the river.

At Court y Carw, to which a small manor is attached, was anciently a small monastery, dependent on the abbey of Cadoxton near Neath : till within the last century, the site was appropriated as a burial-place for unbaptized infants. According to the late Mr. Edward Williams, the eminent antiquary, of Flemingston near Cowbridge, commonly known as the Bard of Glamorganshire, this was the birthplace of St. Patrick, the apostle and patron saint of Ireland ; but from its proximity to Loughor, from which it is distant only one mile and a half, Mr. Owen Pugh and other writers refer his nativity to that borough.

At Glynloughor, a hamlet within the parish, was born Ieuan Lawdden, the most celebrated poet of his time: he was for many years curate of Machynlleth, in the county of Montgomery; towards the close of his life he retired to his native village, where he died and was buried, but no monument has been erected to his memory.

The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor amounts to £ 442. 17."


"BRISKEDWIN (PRYSG-EDWIN), a hamlet, joint with Tir-yr-brenkin, in the parish of LLANDEILO, hundred of SWANSEA, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 7 miles (N. W. by N.) from Swansea.  ...  It is situated on the western declivity of some elevated ground, which lies between the road from Swansea to Pont ar Dulas and the river Loughor."  [A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833  © Mel Lockie 2016]