GENUKI Home Page   LlandyfodwgLlandyfodwg Contents Contents

Llandyfodwg

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llandyfodwg database compiled by Gareth Hicks

Gilfach Goch is partly in this parish but see under Ystradyfodwg for chapels

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources

Additional sources

 

Baptist

Paran Welsh Baptist chapel, Oakridge, Blackmill
  • Paran Welsh Baptist chapel, Oakridge, Blackmill          SS93418680        Built in 1819, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1859, 1889 and 1898, not (?) still in use in 1998               (1)
  • Still active according to  Ogmore Valley Local History Society
  • MIs index   (3)
  • Extant records  (4)
  • Rev William Griffiths (Baptist)              (residence in Blackmill  only)          1895  (5)                   and 1910  (6)
  • Some headstones at Paran, Blackmill on the Glamorgan Mailing List site
  • Paran Baptist           Erected in 1817                     Hopkin Jenkins, Minister, Paran, Blackmill          1851   (7)
  • 1831 June 14; Baptist; a building called Paran intended for use as a chapel; William WILLIAMS, John WILLIAMS, William BUTLER, John JENKINS           (2)
 

Calfaria Baptist chapel, Abercerdin Rd, Evanstown

  •  Calfaria Baptist chapel, Abercerdin Rd, Evanstown          SS97848958        Built in 1897, still in use in 1998    (1)

 

Congregationalist

Bethania Independent chapel, Abercerdin Rd, Evanstown

  • Bethania Independent chapel, Abercerdin Rd, Evanstown                SS97798952        Built in 1846, not still in use in 2000         (1)
  • Bethania Independent, Landevoduck (sic)       Erected in 1846    Morgan Williams, Deacon           1851    (7)
  • 1843 November 10, Independant; a building called Bethania; Hopkin HOPKINS, farmer, and Morgan WILLIAM  (2)

Hope Independent chapel, Ogwr St, Pricetown

  • Hope Independent chapel, Ogwr St, Pricetown          SS93759203     Built in 1898, not still in use in 1998     (1)

  Soar Independent chapel, John St, Pricetown

  • Soar Ind chapel, John St, Pricetown            SS93849216             Not still in use in 1997           (1)

 

Methodist

Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Blackmill

  • Wesleyan Methodist chapel, Blackmill              SS93578688                 Still in use in 2000           (1)
  • No longer in use - planning  application in 2003 to convert to residential
    Selling agent's details in 2005;- "The property comprises a disused Wesleyan Methodist Chapel built originally in 1885, now with detailed Planning Consent for conversion to a 3 bedroomed dwelling house. Approximately 10 minutes North of Junction 36 of the M4"

Hope English CM chapel, Coronation Rd, Evanstown

  • Hope English CM chapel, Coronation Rd, Evanstown            SS97788944      Built in 1903, still in use in 1998  (1)
  • Rev Edward Owens (Presbyterian)                  (residence only)     1910  (6)

Glynogwr CM chapel (Capel Newydd), Llandyfodwg

  • Glynogwr CM chapel (Capel Newydd), Llandyfodwg          SS95908734         Built in 1818, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1849 and 1904-5, still in use in 1998           (1)
  • Glynogwr CM            Erected in 1819          Thomas Jenkins, Deacon, Cae-Rosser, Landefodog           1851   (7)
  • 1820 May 4; Protestant; a meeting house called Capel Newydd; Morgan THOMAS of the parish of Coychurch, farmer, Thomas WILLIAM, David WILLIAM            (2)
  • Glynogwr Blackmill Welsh CM chapel    Glynogwr, Blackmill, Penybont, Morgannwg CF35 6EL - still open in 2006
  • CENTENARY Of the Church of the Calvinistic Methodists In Glynogwy. The Chapel was opened October 24th and 25th 1819: The History of the Occasion By the  Revd. Charles Williams Cwmogwy. Nantymoel R. H. Mason  Printed etc. 40 Ogwy Street 1919.
    Translation by  Mrs Heulwen Strathen

Bethany CM chapel, Hill St, Pricetown

  • Bethany CM chapel, Hill St, Pricetown          SS93789206       Built in 1896, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1905, not still in use in 1998       (1)

 

Other (inc unidentified)

Llandyfodwg Burial Board Records

  •  Llandyfodwg Burial Board Records details on  Archives Network Wales
     "..... set up c 1887 by parish vestry. Cemeteries  opened at  Blaenogwr and Glynogwr in about 1888 ...   taken over by Ogmore and Garw UDC in 1921"

Mission Church, Blackmill

  •  Mission Church, Blackmill               SS93808697               (1)

Mission Church, Owgy St, Pricetown

  •  Mission Church, Owgy St, Pricetown       SS93729193                   (1)

 

[Last Updated : 6 Nov 2011  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.