|Glamorgan Contents Nearby Places|
"LLAN FABON, in the Cwmwd of Senghenydd, Cantref of Brenhinol (now called the Hundred of Caerphilly), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, not in charge, to the Vicarage of Eglwys Ilan; and dedicated to St. Mabon. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (containing the Hamlets of Garth, and Glynn Rhymny) was 475. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £191..14..5, at 8s. 6d. in the pound. It is 12 m. N. b. W. from Caerdiff. This Parish is about four miles in length, and a mile and a half in breadth; and about one tenth part of it is an uninclosed Common." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.
Description and Travel
Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.
The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-
Chapels Database - a list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish
For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives
See Bap/Mar/Bur data on FreeReg
The church is dedicated to St. Mabon, is in the Benefice of Llanfabon, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST108938.
|Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff|
|1769-1916||1754-1916||1769-1922||1857-1901, 1903-1929||1717, 1724-1837|
The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-
Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-
"LLANVABON, a parish in the hundred of CAERPHILLY, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 9 miles (S. S. E.) from Merthyr-Tydvil, containing 853 inhabitants. This parish comprises a surface of about five thousand acres, in general mountainous : it is bounded on the west by the river Taf, and on the east by the Romney : the soil consists of gravelly clay and peat. A colliery belonging to Sir C. Smith, Bart., from which a tram-road communicates with the Glamorganshire canal, affords employment to about twenty men. The parish is intersected by the road from Cardiff to Merthyr, which passes about two miles and a half westward from the church, and by the Glamorganshire canal, on the banks of which, within its limits, is situated the Navigation House, where this important line of communication is joined by the Aberdare canal, and by the tram-road from Merthyr-Tydvil: at this point of junction is a spacious quay. The living is consolidated with the vicarage of Eglwysilan, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to St. Mabon. There are two places of worship for Welsh Calvinistic Methodists, and one for Wesleyan Methodists. James Thomas, in 1730, gave by will a rent-charge of £2 for the benefit of the poor of this parish. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor is £213. 19." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales by Samuel Lewis 1833)
Places, villages, farms etc within Llanfabon parish as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Roy Pugh)
Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
The Population of Llanfabon was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.
|1841 - 1,449||1851 - 1,925||1861 - 2,360||1871 - 2,263||1881 - 2,660||1891 - 3,037|
Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996