The parish church is dedicated to St. James, and is in the Benefice of Pontycymmer and Blaengarw. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be found at grid reference SS902929.
Blaengarw Ecclesiastical Parish records " ........ including registers of banns; parish county council minutes; Blaengarw parish magazine no. 1, 1935"
"Blaengarw lay originally in the ancient parish of Llangeinor in the Garw valley. In 1899, a new parish of Garw valley was created, which included Pontycymmer, Blaengarw and Pontyrhyl. Blaengarw was subsequently constituted as a separate parish in 1920, but rejoined the Garw valley parish to become Potnycymmer and Blaengarw in 1950. In 2004 the parish of Garw Valley was combined with Llangeinor to form the united parish of Llangeinor and the Garw Valley. The Church of St. James, Blaengarw was opened in 1890 and closed for worship in 2004"
Non Conformist Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Garw Colliery "Pay Book 1890; Birth Certificates 1889-1892"
"Garw Pit was owned by the Blaengarw Ocean Coal Company, a subsiduary of the Ocean Coal Company. Sinking of the pit began in 1883 and reached full production by 1886.........."
Garw Ocean Colliery "....... Colliers' Coal and Dead Work Pay Account Book 1885-1889"
"David Davies and Company started the sinking of the Garw Ocean pit in 1883 and the colliery was in full operation by 1886.................."