GENUKI Home Page Llangiwg Llangiwg Contents Contents

Kelly's Directory South Wales 1895

This is an extract by Gareth Hicks (November 2003) from the CD of the same title with the kind permission of Archive CD Books

The data comes from a directory section called ' Swansea Valley', this extract relates only to the villages of Lower Brynamman, Cwmgors, Gwauncaegurwen, Rhydyfro  and  Llanguicke parish in general.
The data for Cilybebyll, Clydach, Glais, Pontardawe and Ystalyfera has not been extracted.

Swansea Valley

Comprises, the parishes of Brynamman, Llanguicke, with Pontardawe and Ystalyfera, Clydach in Cadoxton and Llangyfelach parishes and the parish of Cilypebyll, in Glamorganshire, commences about 4 miles from. Swansea; it is watered by the Tawe, and intersected by the Swansea and Hereford branch of  the Midland railway, which has stations at Morriston, Cwm Clydach, Glais, Pontardawe and Ystalyfera; it is a very populous and rapidly rising district, containing many large iron, steel and tinplate and chemical works, with numerous collieries, and some very handsome residences, which are seated along the whole length of the Vale; the Swansea canal, extending to Hennoyadd (Brecon), a distance of 16 miles from Swansea, is a great convenience to the collieries and manufacturers of the district.

Clydach, or Rhwyndwyclydach, is a township'and village, on the high road from Brecon to Swansea, with a station (Cwm Clydach) on the Swansea and Hereford branch of the Midland railway, about 5 miles north from Swansea; in 1847 it was formed into an ecclesiastical parish from the civil parishes of Cadoxton and Llangyfelach............ (remainder not extracted)

Glais is a village with a station on the Swansea and Hereford branch of the Midland railway, one mile from Clydach, partly in the civil parish of Llansamlet and partly in that of Cadoxton............. (remainder not extracted)

Cilybebyll is a parish, on the eastern side of the Swansea valley, opposite Pontardawe, from which it is separated by the river Tawe, 9 miles north-east from Swansea and 5 north from Neath.............. (remainder not extracted)



10 3/4 miles from Swansea, is a very extensive and populous parish, including the hamlets of Cwmgorse, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, Lower Brynamman, Rhydyfro and Ynysmeudw, it occupies the western side of the valley on the high road from Swansea to Brecon and extends to the boundary of the county of Glamorgan where it adjoins Brecon : the distance from Swansea to the nearest part of the parish is 8 miles, but to the extreme limit 13 miles; it is in the Western division of the county of Glamorgan, Pontardawe petty sessional division and union, Neath county court district, rural deanery of East Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of  David's : the Swansea canal runs through some parts of the parish.

The church of St. Cuik, or Guick, standing on the top of a hill, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style consisting of nave, south porch and and embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: there are 300 sittings. A Welsh service is held here on Sundays in the afternoon. The register dates from the year 1740. The living is a vicarage, rent-charge 10, gross yearly value 301, net 271, with glebe (43), in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's, and held since 1892 by the Rev. James Griffiths B.D. of St. David's college, Lampeter. The vicarage house, built in 1870, commands extensive views up and down the valley and of the hills opposite.

Here is also a Bethesda Congregational chapel.

The Duke of Beaufort K. G. is lord of the manor. Fleming R.D.A. Gough esq., Herbert Lloyd esq. Killybebyll, Henry Nathaniel Miers esq. of Clydach, and Howell Jeffries, barrister-at-law, are the principal landowners.

The soil is sand; subsoil, sandstone; chiefly pasture land. The area is 12,550 acres of land and 144 of water; rateble value 24,160; the population in 1891 was 9,707.

A School Board of 9 members was formed 23 Feb. 1875, for Llanguicke with Llandilofawr, Carmarthenshire contributory, sending two members; Chares Martyn, Pontardawe, clerk to the board.



Is a hamlet 2 1/2 miles north from Pontardawe. Here is Carmel Congregational chapel. Wall Letter Box, cleared at 9.15 a.m. Letters from Pontardawe.



Is a hamlet 4 miles north from Pontardawe.

Post & M.O.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office (Railway Sub-Office. Letters should have R.S.O. Glamorganshire added ). --- Jenkin Mark, sub-postmaster. Letters arrive at 8.10 a.m; dispatched at 4.45 p.m. Garnant is the nearest telegraph office.

Board School, erected in 1867, for 250 boys & girls & 200 infants; average attendance, 170 boys & girls and 150 infants; John Hugh, master; Mrs Mary Evans mistress; now (1895) being enlarged.


Lower Bryamman

Is a hamlet 6 miles north from Pontardawe, and adjoins Brynamman.

Here are Baptist and Congregational chapels.

Post Office;---Mrs.- Margaret Price, sub-postmistress. Letters (which should be addressed Upper Brynamman R.S.O. Carmarthenshire), arrive at 8 a.m ; dispatched at 5 p.m. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid. Upper Brynamman the nearest money order & telegraph office.



Is a hamlet 1 mile north from Pontardawe.

Here is a Congregational chapel

Post Office. --- Richard Lewis, sub-postmaster; Letters arrive from Swansea, via Pontardawe, at 7.30 a.m. ; dispatched at 4.30 p.m. Nearest money order & telegraph office, Pontardawe.

Board School, erected 1876, for 125 children; average attendance, 80 ; Alfred Williams Owen, master.


Here are Places, of Worship, with times, of services.




Pontardawe,  a populous village, the greater portion of which is in Llanguicke parish, is very prettily seated in the valley of the Swansea, 7 1/2 miles north-east from the town of Swansea .......... (remainder not extracted)

Ystalyfera  is another populous village in the parish of Llanguicke, 12 miles north-east from Swansea...... (remainder not extracted)



Private Residents





Lower Brynamman




[Last Updated : 25 November 2003- Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional

Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.