GENUKI Home Page Llangiwg Llangiwg Contents Contents

  Kelly's Directory South Wales 1923

Llangiwg

 

This is an extract by Gareth Hicks (Sept 2007) from the CD of the same title with the kind permission of Archive CD Books


LLANGUICKE (or Llangiwg), 10 3/4 miles from Swansea, is a very extensive and populous parish. The civil parish includes the hamlets of Cwmgorse, Gwaun-Cae-Gurwen, Lower Brynamman, Rhydyfro, Tairgwaith and Ynysmudw, also the populous villages of Ystalyfera and Pontardawe, of which the two last mentioned will be found under separate headings. The parish is on the western side of the Swansea valley, on the road from Swansea to Brecon, and extends to the boundary of the county of Glamorgan where it adjoins Breconshire and Carmarthenshire ; the distance from Swansea to the nearest part of the parish is 8 miles, but to the extreme limit 13 miles ; the parish is in the Neath division of the county of Glamorgan, Pontardawe petty sessional division and union, Neath county court district, rural deanery of East Grower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's : the Swansea Canal runs through some parts of the parish.

The church of St. Ciwg, standing on the top of a hill, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of nave, south porch and an embattled western tower with pinnacles, containing 2 bells: in 1812 it was new-roofed, and several alterations made : there are 150 sittings. A Welsh service is held here on Sundays in the afternoon. The register dates from the year 1740. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value 371 with glebe (14), in the gift of the Bishop of St. David's and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1923 by the Rev. Thomas Maddock Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. The vicarage house at Pontardawe, built in 1870, commands extensive views up and down the valley and of the hills opposite.
There is a Congregational chapel at Gwrhyd, erected in 1856, seating 250 persons; one at Rhiwfawr, erected in 1891, with 200 sittings, and one at Ynysmeudwy, rebuilt in 1904, seating 8oo persons, and a Swedenborgian chapel at Ynysmeudwy.

The Duke of Beaufort D.L., J.P. is lord of the manor. Fleming R. D. A. Gough esq. D.L., J.P. John H. P. Lloyd esq. J.P. Henry Nathaniel Miers esq. J.P. Mrs. Jones and Howell Jeffries esq. are the principal landowners.

The soil is sand ; subsoil, clay; chiefly pasture land. The area is 12,553 acres of land and 121 of water; rateable value, 56,441; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 6,911 (which comprises parts of Llanguicke and Rhyndwyglydach civil parishes); the population of the civil parish in 1911 was 19,344, including 6 officials and 72 inmates in Pontardawe Poor Law Institution.

Post, M. 0, & Telephone Call Office, Ynysmudw. - David. Jones, sub-postmaster. Letters through Swansea. Pontardawe is the nearest telegraph office, 1 mile distant

 

LOWER BRYNAMMAN is a hamlet 6 miles north from Pontardawe, and adjoins Brynamman. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels here.

Post, M. O., T. & Telephone Call Office. - Miss Sarah Louisa Price, sub-postmistress. Letters through Upper Brynamman, Carmarthenshire

County Police, Robert Jones, constable

Public Elementary School (mixed), erected 1896 & enlarged in 1909, for 310 boys & girls & 150 infants; Griffith Morgan, master; Mrs. M. Jenkins, mistress

 

CWMGORSE is a hamlet 3 1/2 miles north from Pontardawe. The church of St. Mary, erected here in 1886, will seat about 500 persons. There are a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, a Zion Baptist chapel, erected in 1894, and a Congregational chapel, erected in 1913.

Post, M. O. & Telephone Call Office. - Thomas Howells, sub-postmaster. Letters through Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, Glamorgan, which is the nearest telegraph office, three-quarters of a mile distant

Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), erected 1912, for 208 boys & girls & 104 infants ; Rees Evans, master ; Miss Annie Morgan, mistress

 

GWAUN-CAE-GURWEN is a hamlet, 4 miles north from Pontardawe. There is a Carmel Congregational chapel, founded in 1762, which has 850 sittings, and also the Hermon Congregational chapel, erected in 1909, which has 400 sittings, and a Calvinistic Methodist chapel, erected 1907, which has over 800 sittings.

Post, M. O., T. & T. E. D. Office (letters should have Glamorgan added).- Jenkin Mark, sub-postmaster

County Police, John Shellum, sergeant, & 4 constables

Public Elementary School, erected in 1867, & enlarged in 1894, for 297 boys & girls & 197 infants ; John Hugh, master ; Miss M. Williams, infants' mistress

Railway Station, Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, Thomas Sandbrook, station master

 

RHYDYFRO is a hamlet 1 mile north from Pontardawe; it has a Congregational chapel, first erected in 1844, seating 550 persons; a new chapel was erected in 1905, at a cost of 1,100.

Post Office. - David Phillips, sub-postmaster. Letters through Pontardawe, Swansea, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant

Public Elementary School, erected 1876, for 150 children; G. J. Terry, master

 

TAIRGWAITH, or Tairg Waith [should be Tai'rgwaith], is a hamlet 1 mile east of Gwaun-cae-Gurwen station and 5 miles north from Pontardawe. The church of St. David here was erected in 1913 and a Baptist chapel in 1918.

The Federation hall is situated here.

Post & Telephone Call Office.- Philip John Rees, sub-postmaster. Letters through Gwaun-cae-Gurwen, Glamorgan, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 1 mile distant

Public Elementary School (mixed & infants), opened in 1907, for 160 boys & girls & a temporary building for 80 infants; David Morgan, master

PLACES OF WORSHIP.

Baptist.

Calvinistic Methodist.

Congregational. 

 

LLANGUICKE.

(Marked thus * receive their letters through Pontardawe, Swansea.)
(Marked thus +   receive their letters through Ystalyfera, Swansea.)

PRIVATE  RESIDENTS.

COMMERCIAL.

 

CWMGORSE.

(Names marked thus * receive their letters thro' Pontardawe, Swansea.)

COMMERCIAL.

 

GWAUN-CAE-GURWEN.

COMMERCIAL.

LOWER BRYNAMMAN.

 

COMMERCIAL.

 

RHYDYFRO.

COMMERCIAL.

 

TAIRGWAITH.

COMMERCIAL.

 

YNYSMUDW.

 

COMMERCIAL.


[Last Updated : 20 Sept 2007- Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.