Pontardawe Chemical Works " ........ was founded c1849 by Jacob Lewis, a Swansea draper. His son Lewis Lewis was also involved in the works and he lived at 'Brynheulog House' to which many of the deeds in this archive relate. The works supplied the local tinplate industry with vitriol or sulphoric acid which was used in the pickling process. Pontardawe Chemical Works was in severe decline by the 1940s and the site was eventually closed in the 1970s
"Deeds relating to the Pontardawe Chemical Works site and other property belonging to the Lewis family, manufacturing chemists at the works, including: Pontardawe Chemical Works title deeds 1851-1933; Brynheulog title deeds 1809-1968; James Street title deeds 1858-1955"
Evan Evans Bevan Ltd (Brewers) of Cadoxton and Pontardawe records 1919-1972 "Evan Evans (1794-1871) of Briton Ferry bought the Vale of Neath Brewery at Cadoxton in 1850 and subsequently the Swansea Vale Brewery at Pontardawe. ..................."
The church is dedicated to St. Peter, is in the Benefice of Llangiwg (Pontardawe), and Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SN694014.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Gilbertson family of Pontardawe papers "Joseph Moore was the father of Ellen Moore (d. 1900) who married Howell Gwyn (d. 1888) of Dyffryn, and also the grandfather of Joseph Edward Moore of Longford Court (d. 1922) who inherited the Dyffryn Estate and took the name Moore-Gwyn. Francis Edwardes Leach of Plâs Cilybell, Glamorgan (1805-1865) assumed the surname Lloyd on inheriting Cilybebyll on the death of his mother. He was married to Harriet Goodwin Page (1810-1862) and one of their daughters Ellen Lloyd (1850-1894) married Arthur Gilbertson (1842-1912), the third son of William Gilbertson. William Gilbertson (1810-1882) of Cwmavon, Glamorgan married Eliza (nee Bramah, 1816-1868). William Gilbertson was a leading citizen in Pontardawe and the founder of Messrs. William Gilbertson & Company Limited. Arthur Gilbertson was High Sheriff of Glamorgan in 1892. He also built the Glanryd House of Pontardawe. ..........."
"personal correspondence, 1779-1925; diaries and ship's logs, 1817-1936; game books, 1919-1988; certificates, 1918-1952; cricket score book, 1908-1931; ephemera, 1919-1936; scrap books, 1890-1950s; files of genealogical notes; c. 1870-2001; files relating to houses and local history connected with the Gilbertson, Lloyd and Moore-Gwyn families, 1908-2001; photograph albums, 1880s-1980s; loose photographs"
"Records concerning industrial activities of the Gilbertson family of Pontardawe, steel and tinplate manufacturers, 1883-1932, including letter books, 1890-1929; correspondence, 1883-1932; memorandum of agreement, 1888; plans, 1870-1909; Royal Commission on the Poor Laws and Relief of Distress, 1909, and roll of Honour, 1920"
William Parsons Papers 1836-1898 William Parsons was born in 1795 in the parish of Cadoxton-juxta-Neath, Glamorgan, the youngest son of Richard Parsons......................William Parsons leased land for the Pontardawe and Pheasant Bush Tinplate Works in 1835. In 1842 he suffered financial difficulties and his elder brother, John Parsons, carried on the works for the next seven years. When William took over once again, the business was in healthy profit and in 1861 he sold the works to William Gilbertson. William Parsons died in 1864."
You can see the administrative areas in which Pontardawe has been placed at times in the past.
Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.
Pontardawe Union Board of Guardians Records "Until the Poor Law Amendment Act 1834, relief of the poor was the responsibility of the parish. Following the Act, parishes were grouped into Unions that were charged to provide a workhouse for the relief of the able-bodied poor. Pontardawe Poor Law Union was formed in 1875 from the parishes that formed the north-west part of the Neath Poor Law Union, consisting of Cilybebyll, Llangiwg, Mawr, Rhyndwyglydach, Ynysymwn, Ystradgynlais Higher and Ystradgynlais Lower in Glamorgan. The Union workhouse was situated in Pontardawe and was opened in 1879. The Board of Guardians responsible for the Union had other duties from time to time, including the registration of births, marriages and deaths, vaccinations, assessments of rates, sanitation, school attendance and infant life protection. By the time of the Local Government Act 1929 unions were abolished and their duties transferred to County Councils, with responsibility for the poor being transferred to the Public Assistance Committee until 1948. The workhouse became Pontardawe Public Assistance Institution in 1930 when the functions of the Poor Law Union were transferred to the Glamorgan County Council. In 1948, it became the Danybryn Hostel which finally closed in 1988. The building was demolished shortly afterwards and sheltered housing now occupies the site"
"......... including minutes, 1875-1936; financial records, 1875-1958; inmate registers and records, 1902-1979; workhouse administration records, 1901-1953; valuation lists, 1898-1927; photographs, c.1880-1988; Pontardawe Union Rural Sanitary Authority records, 1883-1898"
Llangiwg Parish Council and Pontardawe Community Council Records " ....... including minute books, 1894-1897; poor rate books, 1849-1914; vestry minutes, 1855-1887; tithe plan and apportionment, 1842; Pontardawe Community Council videos, 1995"
Pontardawe Rural District Council Records 1838-1985 " ....... comprising Clerk's Department records, 1877-1976, including minutes, 1893-1974, miscellaneous registers, 1877-1976, and byelaws, 1914-1952; Treasurer's Department records, including ledgers, 1896-1974, accounts, 1910-1974, records of employees' earnings, 1945-1972, valuation lists, 1928-1950, and rate books, 1922-1958; Medical Officer of Health reports, 1898-1938; marriage notice books, 1882-1923; yearbooks, magazines and other publications, 1954-1973; articles, [1959x1967]; Public Health Department registers, 1925-1985, and press cuttings, 1938-1973; deeds, 1838-1950; photographs, [c. 1960]-[1960s]; planning register, 1932-1948; Engineer and Surveyor's Department records, 1899-1966, including plans of new buildings, 1932-1946, and papers relating to sewerage schemes, 1933-1966"
Banwen School log books "Banwen School was situated in the parish of Llangiwg, on the Brecon Road, north of Pontardawe....................."
"Log books of Banwen School, 1896-1940"
Penclyn School in Pontardawe (closed in 1930) " ........ including log books, 1880-1930; admission registers, 1880-1930."
Pontardawe School, records1863-1964 " ....established in 1863 as a mixed school. Separate boys' and girls' departments were created in 1885"
" ...........including log books, 1863-1964; punishment books, 1900-1943; attendance summary register, 1898-1904; stock and inventory books, 1903-1946; correspondence, 1926-1939."