Llangiwg is a very extensive and populous parish, situated on the western side of the valley, and extending to the boundary of the county, where it is joined by Brecon. The distance from Swansea to the first part of the parish is 7 miles, but the extreme limits are 12 miles: it is in Neath union and county court district, Upper division of the county, rural deanery of West Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's: it is divided into four hamlets - viz. Mawe, Alltgrug, Eyel, and Cdegurwen: it is siuated on the high road from Swansea to Brecon: the Swansea Canal runs through some parts of the parish, and the Swansea Vale Railway has two station here, one at Pontardawe and one at Ystalyfera. The church of St. Cuik, or Guick, is an old stone building in the Norman style, and consists of nave and tower, with 2 bells, and, being on the top of a hill, is a very imposing object. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, in the gift of the Lord Bishop of St. David's, and held by the Rev. David Jones, of Trinity College, Dublin. There is one Welsh service here on Sundays (afternoon). His Grace the Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. Richard Douglas Gough, esq., J. P., of Yniscedwyn house, Herbert Lloyd, esq., J. P., Killybehill, - Barrington esq., and J. G. Jeffries, esq., are principal landowners. The soil is sand; subsoil, sandstone; chiefly pasture land. The area is 12,550 acres; rateable value, £17, 000; and the population in 1861 was 7983.
Slaters Commercial Directory Llangiwg in the Swansea Valley, 1871
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996