"LLAN GEFELACH, in the Cwmwd of Derfedd, Cantref of Ffiniog (now called the Hundred of Llan Gefelach), Co. of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a V., valued in the King's Books at £9..14..9 1/2: Patron, The Bishop of St. David's: Church ded. to St. Cyfelach. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (containing the Hamlets of Blaenegel, Cae Gerwyn, Clâs Higher, Clâs Lower, Mawr Higher, Mawr Lower, Pen Derw Higher, Pen Derw Lower, Rhwng dwy Clydach Higher, and Rhwng dwy Clydach Lower) was 4944. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £982.19.0.
It is 5m. N. b. W. from Swansea. The Impropriation of this Benefice is in The Lord Bishop of St. David's, as Dean of the College of Brecknock; he is also Lord of the Manor, and holds two Courts here annually. The Vicarage is endowed with the small Tythes. This is a very extensive Parish, containing nearly 10,000 acres of Land. It is rather a singular circumstance, that the present Curate is both Curate and Clerk of the Parish. As the Salary of the Clerk amounts to about £100. per annum, and the nomination being with the Vicar, the Father of the present Curate, he nominated his Son (The Rev. William Davies), who afterwards became Curate. He appoints a person to perform the common offices of a Clerk, for which he receives the fees; but the Curate receives the bulk of the Salary, which arises from Easter Offerings." (From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)