GENUKI Home Page Llangyfelach Llangyfelach ContentsContents

Llangyfelach

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llangyfelach database compiled by Gareth Hicks - with contributions from;

For details of Pontardawe chapels see the Chapels and Churches section of the Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwensite

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

 Additional

 

Baptist

Bethania (Particular Baptist) chapel, Clydach       SN68620150

  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1841  (1)
  • Baptist Chapel, Heol Graig-felen, Clydach. Built in 1841    (6)
  • Bethania, Clydach. No denomination given, built in 1844     SN6801  (6)
  • Bethania Baptist, Clydach      Erected in 1841             David Davies, Minister, Treboeth                1851  (13)
  • There is the book ;   Bethania Baptist Church Clydach 1841-1991. [Bethania Baptist Church], 1991 (9)

Calfaria Baptist chapel, Clydach  

Capel y Cwar (Arminian) Clydach,      SN6801

  • Y Cwar, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach, Mawr, Ynys-y-mwn.   No denomination given.  Built c 1795     (6)
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of Capel y Cwar (Arminian) chapel which was built c 1795   (1)
  • The Quar, Clydach, General Baptists      Erected in 1816      David Jones, General Baptist Minister, Foxhole    1851  (13)
Salem Baptist chapel, Clydach
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1777 as Bryn Salem (1)
  • Salem Independent Baptist, Llangafelach (sic), (Rhyndwy-Clydach hamlet)           Erected in 1774     W Morgan Rees, Diacon, Salem, Llangafelach        1851   (13)

Baptist, Craig-cefn-parc

  • Baptist, Elim, Craig Cefn Park. Rev Rhys Lewis  1895  (3)
  • Baptist, Elim, Craigcefnparc.  Rev Rees Lewis  1910  (4)

Baptist Tabernacle (Welsh), Cwmrhydyceirw

  • Baptist Tabernacle (Welsh), Cwmrhydyceirw  1910  (4)

Calfaria Welsh Baptist chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Fforest fach/Raven Hill, Waunarlwydd

  • Calfaria Welsh Baptist chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Fforest fach/Raven Hill, Waunarlwydd      SS63169553     Built in 1861 (or 1867), enlarged or modified in 1892/3 and demoted to vestry, upgraded to church again in the 1970s, still in use in 1996   (6)
  • Calfaria Welsh   Ravenhill        Rev Edward Evans    Seats 550       1895  (3)

Garnswllt Independent Baptist chapel

  • Garnswllt Independent Baptist chapel     Erected in 1842         William Jenkins, Deacon, Caemain, near Pontardulais             1851  (13)

Gerazim Independent Baptist chapel

  • Gerazim Independent Baptist chapel        Erected in 1811        William Jenkins, Diacon, Caemain         1851  (13)

Baptist, Dinis, near Landore

  • Baptist, Dinis, near Landore . . Rev. David Davies   1858/9  (5)

Dinas Noddfa Baptist, Dinas St, Plas-marl, Glandwr, Landore    SS66049616

  • Dinas Noddfa, Dinas St, Plas-marl, Glandwr, Landore . No denomination given, built in 1824 and rebuilt or modified in 1852/3, rebuilt or enlarged 1871, further modified in 1884  and again in 1928      (6)
  • Landore, Dinas Noddfa (Welsh Baptist)  Rev William Pritchard Williams   1910   (4)
  • Dinas Noddfa Particular Baptist          Erected in 1823          Benjn. Watkins, Minister, Morriston            1851  (13)

Salem, Landore (English)

  • Salem, Landore (English). Rev J Howard Lamb  1910  (4)

Baptist, Brynhyfryd, Landore

  • There are Welsh and English Baptists here   1910   (4)
  •  
  • Brynhyfryd Welsh Baptist Chapel, Bryn Terrace, Llangyfelach Rd, Landore.  SS65589550  Built in 1883  (6)
  • Brynhyfryd (Welsh)   Rev David Bowen Richards     1910  (4)
  • Welsh Baptist, Brynhyfryd                  Rev David Bibliander Richards         Seats 856      1895  (3)
  •  
  • English Baptist, Brynhyfryd         Rev Frederick W Pegler    Seats 120         1895  (3)
Calfaria, Baptist, Morriston
  • Baptist, Calfaria. Rev Tom Valentine Evans  1895   (3)
  • *Baptist, Calfaria.  Rev Tom Valentine Evans   1910  (4)*   (??)
  •  
  • Calfaria Welsh Baptist chapel, Clyndu St. Morriston.  SS66819757   Built in 1888    (6)
  •  
  • *Baptist Calfaria ( Welsh)  Rev Jn Windsor Lewis   1910   (4)*    (two separate chapels here in 1910 ??)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Calfaria Baptist Chapel, Banwell Street, Morriston, Swansea, records    ".... all marriage registers, 1965-1976."      " ....closed in 1980"
  • On 22 May 2011 there was a concert at Seion Baptist Chapel to commemorate the merger 30 years ago of Calfaria and Zoar Baptist Chapels with Seion where the combined congregation continues to worship. (JC)

Seion Welsh Baptist chapel, Clase Rd, Tirpenry Rd, Morriston   SS67149806

  • Seion Welsh Baptist Chapel, Clase Rd, Tirpenry Rd, Morriston.  Built in 1845/6, rebuilt or modified 1870   (6)
  • Baptist, Morriston . . Rev. Owen Owen    1858/9    (5)
  • Baptist Sion (Welsh)  Rev David James   1910  (4)
  • Zion Particular Baptist           Erected 1847        Benj. Watkins, Minister, Morriston          1851  (13)
  •  
  • There is the book by Morgan, D. Densil. Y weledigaeth hon : hanes Bedyddwyr Treforus, 1845-1995 : (a history of the Baptist cause in Morriston, 1845-1995). Treforus : Swyddogion Eglwys Seion Newydd, 1995   (10)
  • SEION CHAPEL, Morrison, is now a Grade II listed building. Listed Buildings within The City and County of Swansea
  • "SWANSEA: SEION NEWYDD, MORRISTON; An outstanding chapel building of unusual architectural design - the masterpiece of its architect John Humphrey - Seion Newydd Chapel has a particularly fine interior.  Grant of 27,500 offered towards the stabilization of the front pediment of the building." (Historic Buildings Council for WALES, Annual Report 2003-2004)
  • On 22 May 2011 there was a concert at Seion Baptist Chapel to commemorate the merger 30 years ago of Calfaria and Zoar Baptist Chapels, in Morriston with Seion where the combined congregation continues to worship. (JC)

Zoar/Soar Baptist chapel, Zoar St, Morriston

  • Index entry for Soar Baptist Chapel, Morriston in  Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] (Index).....built in 1907  (7)
  • Baptist Soar. Rev Frederick Morgan  1910  (4)
  • Zoar Baptist, Zoar St, Morriston                 Erected in 1850                    Philip Morgan, Minister         1851   (13)
  • Soar Baptist Chapel, Morriston: ephemera, 1908-1958 (D/D Z 313)
    Held at  West Glamorgan Archive Service
  •  
  • Soar, Pentrepoeth School Rd, Morriston.       SS66989834       No denomination given     (6)
  • The former Zoar ( Soar) Chapel building, on the corner of Soar Terrace and Pentrepoeth School Road is now used by the local Roman Catholic congregation as the Sacred Heart Centre. ( 5/2011 JC)
  • On 22 May 2011 there was a concert at Seion Baptist Chapel to commemorate the merger 30 years ago of Calfaria and Zoar Baptist Chapels with Seion where the combined congregation continues to worship. (JC)

Caersalem Newydd, Baptist, Treboeth

  • Baptist, Treboeth . . Rev. Titus Jones     1858/9   (5)
  • Caersalem Newydd Welsh Baptist Chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Heol-ddu, Tirdeunaw (which is next to Treboeth) , Penderry.  SS65209731  Built in 1840 and enlarged in 1873; rebuilt or modified in 1904     (6)
  • Caersalem Newydd Baptist, Penddery  (Penderry hamlet)      Erected in 1839      John Jones, Minister    1851   (13)

Ainon Baptist chapel, Y Cwar, Cwm-Gelli, Tre-Boeth.   SS65219731   

  • Ainon Baptist Chapel, Y Cwar, Cwm-Gelli, Tre-Boeth.             (6)

Moriah Baptist chapel, Clydach Rd, Ynystawe        SN68290029

  • Baptist, Moriah (Welsh).  Rev Thomas Thomas   1910  (4)
  • Moriah Baptist Chapel, Clydach Rd, Ynystawe, Clase (6)

 

Congregationalist

Baran Independent    SN687077

  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1805   (1)
  • Has a graveyard, Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing an index and Monumental Inscriptions
  • Congregational, Baran, Craigcefnparc.                   Rev James Henry Davies  1910  (4)
  • Baran Independent chapel - SN68710779  Built in 1805, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1830 and in 1895, still in use in 1997 (6)  
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Jan 2009)

Bethlehem Independent chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Cadle   SS62729612

  • Bethlehem Independent Chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Cadle, Llangyfelach. Built 1840; rebuilt or modified 1866. Schoolroom added 1871, chapel house 1882 and vestry 1889.    (6)
  • Built in 1840 , still open in 1992  (2)
  • Congregational, Cadle (Welsh) Rev John Davies   1910  (4)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (May 2008)
  • Bethlehem Independent chapel, Cadle, Fforestfach -  see extended text entry below
  • Bethlehem Ind, Penderry Lower  (Penderry hamlet)           Erected in 1840      William Humphreys, Minister, Cadley, Penllergare (sic)         1851   (13)
  •  
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Hebron Independent, Clydach           SN68800107

  • Started in 1821, still open in 1992  (2)
  • Congregational, Hebron. Rev Esay Owen.  1895  (3)
  • Congregational, Hebron. Rev D Eiddig Jones   1910  (4)
  • Hebron, Clydach. No denomination given, built in 1821, modified, altered or rebuilt 1848 and 1881    (6)
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1821  (1)
  • Hebron Ind, Clydach      Erected in 1810           Thomas Thomas, Minister, High St, Swansea    1851  (13)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Nov 2008)

See below under UNIFICATION OF CLYDACH CHAPELS

 

Carmel Congregational chapel, Clydach

  • Congregational, Carmel. (Clydach).  Rev Jonathan Oldfield Davies   1910  (4)
  • Carmel, Clydach. No denomination given, built in 1892, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1901    SN7000   (6)
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was started in 1892 (1)

See below UNIFICATION OF CLYDACH CHAPELS

 

Pantycrwys Independent, Craig-cefn-parc
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1862  (1)
  • Pantycrwys, near Cwmclydach - extract (in Welsh) from Hanes Eglwysi Annibynol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches) By T Rees & J Thomas. Vol 2, 1872  - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Jan 2009)       (8)
  • Congregational, Pantycrwys, Craig Cefn Park  1895  (3)
  • Congregational, Pantycrwys, Craigcefnparc.   1910  (4)

Saron (Welsh) Congregational, Fforest Fach  

  • Saron (Welsh) Congregational, Fforest Fach.  Rev David Roberts Williams  1910  (4)
  • Saron chapel, daughter chapel of Bethlehem Cadle,  closed in 1989       (12)
  • Saron, Fforestfach - opened in 1906     ( A Glimpse at 150 years in the history of Bethlehem, Cadle" by Anne Thomas (English Version) & Kenneth S.Morgan (Welsh Version) )

Gendros English Congregational Church, Fforest Fach

Independent, Landore

  • Independent, Landore . . Rev. Thomas Thomas   1858/9  (5)

Old Siloh (English) Congregational, Landore

  • Old Siloh (English), Landore.    1910  (4)

Siloh Welsh Congregational chapel (New Siloh), Siloh Rd, Pentre-Treharne Rd, Glandwr, Landore  SS65709571

  • Siloh Welsh Congregational Chapel (New Siloh), Siloh Rd, Pentre-Treharne Rd, Glandwr, Landore. Built in 1829, enlarged 1840 and in 1862, rebuilt or modified in 1878, further rebuilt or modified 1905, Sunday school & vestry added 1878            (6)
  • Built 1824, still open 1992  (2)
  • New Siloh (Welsh) Congregational, Landore.  1910  (4)
  • Siloh Independent, Landore       Erected in 1829     Thomas Thomas, Minister, 103, High St, Swansea      1851  (13)
  • Sunday School history, 1922                Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • There is a book; Samuel Williams: Hanes eglwys Seilo, Glandwr, 1828-1928, (Llanelli, 1928)   (14)
  • Seilo Ind chapel, Glandwr - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)
  • "The Church involved was Siloh in Landore between 1822-24. The Sunday School  was started to explain to people who were not members of any church about the love of Christ. Their first meeting was at Heol y Cwm where they stayed for three weeks then moved to a building called Gwaith Bach, alongside the river just as Philipps had in the past. He of the Circulating Schools. This was the first home for the Good Work to be established.The originators were Sion and David Rosser, David Davies, William Rees, Thomas Williams and William and Catherine Williams the parents of William Williams Wern. It is registered that Joseph Mayberry and David Williams (Cymro Mexico) two superior men who understood civility and were resigned to the cause of Jesus Christ, joined the committee.The Little Work became too big for the School and the growing congregation that there was another move to a schoolroom called Y Coleg Bach which became part of Siloh Chapel. I understand that the school taught reading,writing and arithmetic AND scripture. The Coleg Bach became a day school once it was compulsory for children up to 7 to attend school and on Sunday was a Sunday School."
     (12 -   Katherine Hocking from notes made by her deceased mother at a lecture, venue and date unknown)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Records of Siloh, Landore, 1918-1940, comprising a register of baptisms, marriages and burials, 1918-1940; history of the Sunday School, 1922"

Bryn Seion Independent chapel (Ysgoldy Ebenezer), Gorseinon Rd, Llangyfelach.     SS61179876

  • Bryn Seion Independent Chapel (Ysgoldy Ebenezer), Gorseinon Rd, Llangyfelach.  (Penllergaer ?)

Nebo Independent chapel, Felindre, Morriston

  • Nebo Independent Chapel, Felindre, Morriston. SN63750276   Built in 1824, modified, altered or rebuilt 1857 and 1896    (6)
  • There are Congregational chapels at ..............  and Felindre    1910   (4)
  • Built in 1824, still open in 1992   (2)
  • Felindre Independent chapel, Llangafelach (Mawr hamlet)          Erected in 1821      Richard Jenkins,Gellifeddau, Llangafelach    1851  (13)    and another return by John Davies, Minister, Cwmamman  1851  (13)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh)  - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Jan 2009)
  • Nebo Church, Felindre: agreement for rebuilding, 1857; members' subscriptions, 1867-1881 (D/D Z 27)
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  •  Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Libanus Independent, Morriston.   Extant records under Morriston

  • Started in 1782, closed by 1992   (2)
  • Independent, Morriston . . Rev. Thomas Jones and Rev. Thomas Davie   1858/9  (5)
  • Libanus English Independent Chapel, Market St, Morriston. SS67019762   Built in 1782, enlarged 1796, rebuilt or modified 1831 and again in 1857, further rebuilt or modified 1872, and again 1904/5    (6)
  • Congregational Libanus (English). Rev William Dyfodwg Davies   1910  (4)
  • Libanus Independent, Morriston              Erected before 1800     Thomas Jones, Minister      1851   (13)
  • There is a book History of Libanus English Congregational church, Morriston, 1873-1938, (Morriston, c.1938), 17pp .  From  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Nov 2008)

Horeb Independent, Morriston

  • Started in 1845, closed by 1992   (2)
  • Independent, Morriston . . Rev. Thomas Jones and Rev. Thomas Davie   1858/9  (5)
  • Horeb Welsh Independent Chapel, Horeb St, Morriston. SS66849803  Built 1845, rebuilt or modified 1869/70, restored 1929, Sunday school added 1889. In use 1976       (6)
  • Horeb Independent, Bath, Morriston           Erected in 1843, and a Gallery put in it in 1845      Thomas Davies, Minister                1851  (13)
  • Congregational Horeb (Welsh). Rev William Salmon  1910  (4)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru  (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Nov 2008)
  •  
  • Entry for Horeb, Morriston in  Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] (Index)  (7)
  • There is a book Eglwys Horeb, Treforis: cyfarfodydd agoriadol, Chwefror 8-23, 1930, (Treforis, 1929), 20tt. From  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.

Carmel Welsh Independent chapel, Parry Rd, Morriston    SS66479809

  • Carmel Welsh Independent Chapel, Parry Rd, Morriston. Built in 1889 and (re)built or modified in 1898/9     (6)
  • Congregational Carmel (Welsh). Rev Morgan Gethin Dawkins   1910  (4)
  • Carmel, Treforys - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Tabernacle Congregational (Welsh), Morriston

  • Index entry for Tabernacle, Morriston in  Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] (Index)... photograph c 1900  (7)
  • Congregational Tabernacle (Welsh). Rev William Emlyn Jones   1910  (4)
  • There is a book Trebor Lloyd Evans: 'Y cathedral anghydffurfiol Cymraeg': stori'r Tabernacl, Treforys, (Abertawe, 1972), xx, 216tt. From  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets  (NLW site no longer current)  by Huw Walters
  • Tabernacl, Treforys - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Congregational, Pentrepoeth, Morriston

  • Congregational, Pentrepoeth, Morriston.  1910  (4)

Mynydd Bach Independent

  • Started in 1762  (2)
  • Mynydd-Bach Independent Chapel, (Tir Doncyn, Church of the Redeemer), Mynydd Bach Common, Treboeth. SS64889788     Cause began 1680s and first chapel built in 1762 and enlarged 1797, rebuilt 1865/6    (6)
  • Glamorgan FHS have some chapel register transcriptions/indexes for sale   (11)
  • Mynydd-Bach Welsh Independents (Penderry hamlet)          Erected in 1762     "The assemblage of this congregation have taken place about the year 1700 or previous, and upwards of 12 churches have been established as branches of this place "  William Rees, Deacon, Cadley            1851   (13)
  • Deeds, 1761-1975 (D17); register of graves, 1876-1994; transcript of register, 1676-1784
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Feb 2009)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg
  •  
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
  •  
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Books;
  • Mynyddbach, Abertawe: cyfarfodydd dathlu tri chan mlwyddiant, Medi 17-23, 1951, (Abertawe, 1951), 16tt. From  Independent Chapels of Wales: History Books and Pamphlets by Huw Walters.
  •  Jones, Hugh. Cofiant y diweddar Barch. Daniel Evans, gweinidog yr efengyl, gynt yn y Mynydd-bach, Treforis, Glandwr a'r Felindre, Morganwg. Llanelli : Argraffwyd gan Rees a Thomas, 1835.   (10)
  • Williams, E. C. 'The Mynyddbach (Tirdwncyn Newydd) Church Book, 1666-1792'. Gower, 51 (2000), 31-41. Publisher: Gower Society. ISSN 09620540.  On  Welsh Journals Online
  • Mynyddbach Chapel, Treboeth;  built in 1762, although "the Cause" here started c 1640 in "Cilfwnwr" farmhouse & later at "Tirdwncyn". In 1720-1759 the minister at "Tirdwncyn" was Samuel Jones. Other off-shoots of Mynyddbach were  :- Bethlehem, Cadle; Brynteg, Gorseinon (abt. 1854); Crwys, Three Crosses; Bethel, Sketty; Ebenezer, Swansea (now Baptist); Siloh, Landore; Libanus & Horeb, Morriston & chapels in Felindre & Llansamlet.  Based on a reading of   A Glimpse at 150 years in the history of Bethlehem, Cadle" by Anne Thomas (English Version) & Kenneth S.Morgan (Welsh Version), 1993
  • "Visited Mynydd Bach chapel where my grandparents, g.grandparents and possibly others are buried; the caretaker  showed me around the chapel. It's still in use although there are now only six members. The beautiful pipe organ is not working and needs about 23,000 to repair. The cemetery is very overgrown but efforts are being made to clear it; one person buried there is Daniel James ( Gwyrosydd) who wrote "Calon Lan". I know for a fact that at one time  he was lodging in Aberffrwd Road in Mountain Ash. I have been told that he wrote the words of "Calon Lan" while he lived in  Mountain Ash but I'm sure that residents of Mynydd Bach and Treboeth will dispute that!  The original burials register is still in the chapel - a huge tome and in need of some repair - copies with W Glamorgan Archive Service  along with details of members."    (Gaynor Harris Jan 2006)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Mynydd-bach chapel, Swansea, Records
     "Records of Mynydd-bach Chapel, Swansea, 1761-1996, including Church registers and record books, 1772-1994; account books, 1846-1951; Sunday School registers and accounts, 1910-1953; legal papers, 1761-1867; letters, 1880-1948; personal papers of the Rev. James Davies, 1917-1933, including notes on the Chapel's history (1666-1787); annual reports, 1907-1949; newspaper cuttings, 1923-1949; programmes, 1863-1950; papers relating to the burial ground, 1891-1925."
    "Mynydd-bach chapel, Llangyfelach, is the oldest Independent chapel in the Swansea area. It began when a piece of land was leased in 1761 at Tirdoncyn-newydd near Llangyfelach and a chapel built there shortly afterwards. In 1867 a new chapel was built and was extensively renovated in about 1930. A large number of other chapels began life as offshoots from Mynydd-bach, including Ebenezer, Gorseinon; Siloh, Landore; and Ebenezer and Henrietta Street chapels, Swansea. Many of these newer chapels did not have burial grounds and their burials tended to take place at the extensive cemetery at Mynydd-bach. The Rev. James Davies (1875-1948) was a minister at Mynydd-bach."

Hermon (Welsh) Congregational, Plas Marl

  • Hermon Welsh Independent Chapel, Neath Rd, Plas-marl, Landore. SS66359630  Built in 1878    (6)
  • Hermon Congregational (Welsh) Plas Marl.   1910   (4)
  • Hermon    Welsh      Plas Marl               Rev Richard Owen Hughes     Seats 800               1895  (3)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Hermon Independent Chapel, Plasmarl, Swansea, Records       "..... all marriage registers, 1973-1991."      "....chapel was destroyed by fire in 1995."

Hermon Independent chapel, Gors-Llan Rd, Pontlais, Llangyfelach.    SS65889999

  • Hermon Independent Chapel, Gors-Llan Rd, Pontlais, Llangyfelach.  Built 1875/8   (6)
Gosen Independent, Trebanos
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was built in 1865    (1)
  • Congregational, Trebanos, Gosen. Rev D Gower Richards  1910  (4)
  • Gosen Independent Chapel, Swansea Rd, Trebanos.  SN71170278   Built in 1866, modified, altered or rebuilt 1869 and 1892    (6)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Maureen Saycell (March 2008)

 

Methodist

Bethel Calvinistic Methodist    -   in Clase (extant records)

  • Bethel Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Swansea Rd, Llangyfelach.  SS648990 .  Built 1809, rebuilt or modified 1846-7 and 1865 and enlarged 1930             (6)
  • Bethel CM, Clase             Erected in 1809          Thos Thomas      1851   (13)
  •  
  • Index entry for Bethel, Llangyfelach in  History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (9)
  • Bethel Llangyfelach Welsh CM chapel   1 Swansea Road, Llangyfelach, Abertawe, Abertawe SA5 7JD - still open in 2006
Capel Bethel (Welsh Wesleyan Methodist), Clydach
Calvinistic Methodist, Clydach - Salem
  • The history of the Calvinistic Methodists in Clydach. By Davies, Rev. D., 1902. Name index  (9)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Salem.  Rev William Griffiths  1895  (3)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Salem.  Rev David Davies   1910  (4)
  • Salem Fardre Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Lone Rd, Fardre, Clydach. SN69010187     Built in 1871, modified, altered or rebuilt 1891         (6)
  • Salem Faerdref Welsh CM chapel        Heol y Lon, , Clydach, Abertawe SA6 5HR  - still open in 2006

See below UNIFICATION OF CLYDACH CHAPELS

Wesleyan (Swansea [English] Circuit) - Clydach   

  • Wesleyan (Swansea [English[ Circuit) - Clydach.   Rev Thomas Dixon (supt).  1910  (4)
  • Clydach Methodist Church, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach. SN6801    (6)

These are the same building, on the corner of Quarr Drive and Clydach Road.  The premises is now a private house, and the congregation meets in the schoolroom of Carmel ( now Capel--y-Nant) Chapel, Heol y Nant, Clydach. (5/2011 JC)

Calvinistic Methodist, Cwmrhydyceirw

  • There are Calvinistic Methodist chapels at ........  and Cwmrhydyceirw    1910   (4)
  • Tabernacle, Cwmrhydyceirw Rd, Cwmrhydyceirw.  SS66769921   (6)

Jerusalem Methodist chapel, Fforest-fach Cross

  • Jerusalem Methodist chapel, Fforest-fach Cross   Not in use pre-2005 (1975?)        (12)

Gellionen Presbyterian     SN70070415

  • Members of Gellionnen Presbyterian Chapel Llangafelach.  Jan 1st 1767.
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which started life as Independent in 1692  (1)
  • Extant records ;- Christenings 1763-1814 at PRO; Marriages 1880-6 at NLW; Burials 1786 at PRO; Burials 1862-87 at NLW.   (1)
  • Unitarian, Gellyonen   1895  (3)
  • Unitarian, Gellyonen. Rev William Alva Richards.  1910  (4)
  • Gellionnen, Llangyfelach.   (6)
  • Gelli-Onnen Unitarian              Erected in 1692, re-erected in 1801           John Jones, Presbyterian Minister, Fardre, nr Swansea             1851   (13)
  •  
  • See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph
Tabernacle, Calvinistic Methodist, Landore
  • Tabernacle Welsh Calvinistic Chapel, Tabernacl St, Landore   SS65339423   Built in 1852, rebuilt 1875, demolished before 1997     (6)
  • Landore Tabernacle (Welsh)   1910  (4)
  • Tabernacle   Welsh   Landore             Rev William L Morgan             Seats 700        1895  (3)
Wesleyan English Methodist, Landore
  • There are Wesleyan and Calvinistic Methodist chapels here - the Wesleyan chapel was rebuilt in 1904.   1910  (4)
  • Landore English Wesleyan chapel: marriage registers, 1948-1988; chapel history, 1961
    Held at West Glamorgan Archive Service
  •  
  • Glandwr, Landore. No denomination given, built in 1861, rebuilt or modified 1904       SS6595   (6)

Wesleyan Methodist, Morriston

Welsh Wesleyan, Morriston

  • Welsh Wesleyan, Morriston     [Average attendance figures only covered last 4 months = newly opened?]      "Not a separate and entire building; not used exclusively as a place of worship "   William Instance, Society Steward, Tallow Chandler, Morriston             1851   (13)            [right place?]

Morriston Market Room Wesleyan Methodist  

  • Morriston Market Room Wesleyan Methodist         Erected 'since 1800'          Joseph Faull, Steward, Tyr Cenol, Morriston            1851   (13)                                    [or is it this one ?]

Philadelphia Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Globe St, Morris St, Morriston    SS67039755

  • Philadelphia Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Globe St, Morris St, Morriston. Built in 1802 and enlarged in 1812. Rebuilt or modified 1829, restored 1835 and remodelled 1930. Chapel house and school added by 1850. Still in use in 1976.   (6)
  • Philadelphia Chapel, Grove St, Morriston. No denomination given.  SS67049756    (6)
  • Philadelphia CM, Morriston                Erected in 1802          Edwd. Daniel, Junr Secretary          1851  (13)
  • Index entry for Philadelphia, Morriston in  History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (9)
  • Index entry  for Philadelphia CM Church, Morriston in  Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] (Index)  (7)
  • Calvinistic Methodist Philadelphia (Welsh). Rev David Picton Evans  1910  (4)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Eglwys Philadelphia, Treforus, cofysgrifau (records)       "Administration, financial and Sunday School records of Philadelphia Church, Morriston. Among these are baptismal registers, 1859-1990; registers of the Calvinistic Methodists Temperance Society, 1899-1914; a book listing the preachers engaged for each Sunday, 1889-1933; church minute book, 1899-1950; ministry collection book, 1905-2002; account books, 1917-2003; pew book, 1913-1939 and Sunday School registers, [1881]-1952; together with statistical sheets, 1969-2002; letters relating to the efforts made to finance the renovation work on the building, 1991-1995; architectural report, 1996, on the state of the church; and research notes on the history of the cause, [2002]."
    "Codwyd Eglwys Philadelphia yn 1802. Eglwys anenwadol ydoedd hi y pryd hynny. Derbyniwyd Philadelphia yn aelod llawn gan y Methodistiaid yn 1804. Cafwyd adeilad newydd yn 1829 a chredwyd y gallai ddal 800 o bobl. Un o weinidogion amlycaf Philadelphia oedd y Parchedig Thomas Levi. Adnewyddwyd y capel yn 1935 pan osodwyd pedair ffenest gwydr lliw yn y capel. Rhestrwyd Capel Philadelphia gan CADW fel adeilad cofrestredig ar raddfa II. Ym mis Mai 2002 cynhaliwyd cyfarfodydd dathlu dau canmlwyddiant yr achos. Ar 19 Ionawr 2003 cynhaliwyd gwasanaeth datgorffori'r eglwys. Roedd y capel yn rhan o Ddosbarth Llansamlet yn Henaduriaeth Gorllewin Morgannwg."
  • Now closed, apparently being converted into flats   (5/2011 JC)

Nazareth Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Horeb Rd, Bath Rd, Morriston     SS66789809

  • Nazareth Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Horeb Rd, Bath Rd, Morriston. Built 1892 or 1898.    (6)

Methodist, Primitive, Morriston

  • Methodist (Primitive), Morriston, Mumbles and Tower lane   1858/9   (5)
  • Index entry  for Sway Road, Primitive Methodist Church in  Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] (Index)  (7)
  • Demolished during 1930s for road widening and rebuilt on a site provided by the Council in Pentrepoeth School Road, Morriston, where it continues as Morriston Methodist Church  (also known as Pentrepoeth Methodist Church).   (5/2011 JC)

Glantawe St, Treforys, Morriston

  • Glantawe St, Treforys, Morriston.  No denomination given    SS6797        (6)
  • Glantawe Street English Wesleyan Chapel closed and merged with above many years ago. (5/2011 JC)

Central Hall English Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Morriston    SS6698

  • Central Hall English Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Morriston.   (6)

Bethania Welsh Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Horeb Rd, Morriston    SS66989810

  • Bethania Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Horeb Rd, Morriston. Built 1878, rebuilt or modified 1888    (6)
  • Calvinistic Methodist Bethania (Welsh). Woodfield Street.  Rev David Picton Evans  1910  (4)
  • Bethania Treforys Welsh CM chapel      8 Heol Woodfield, Treforys, Abertawe, Abertawe SA6 8A?   - still open in 2006

Salem Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Gorseinon Rd, Penllergaer       SS60889860

  • Salem Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Gorseinon Rd, Penllergaer     (6)

Smyrna, Calvinistic Methodist, Plasmarl

  •  Index entry for Plasmarl chapel in  History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (9)
  • Plas Marl (Welsh, CM)   1910  (4)
  • Plas Marl   Welsh CM   Seats 600    1895  (3)

Ebenezer Primitive Methodist (English), Plas Marl

  • Ebenezer Primitive Methodist (English), Plas Marl.           Revs  Samuel Bryant / John Holmes  1910       (4)
  • Now closed. The building, in Neath Road, Plasmarl, still exists and appears to be in private use.   (5/2011  JC)

Calvinistic Methodist, Treboeth

  • There is also a Calvinistic Methodist chapel at Treboeth    1910  (4)
Tabernacle Calvinistic Methodist , Trebanos
 

Other (or un-identified)

Ebenezer, Chemical Rd, Cwmrhydyceirw     SS66849917

  • Ebenezer, Chemical Rd, Cwmrhydyceirw, No denomination given       (6)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Ebenezer Presbyterian Church, Cwmrhydyceirw, records       " ........ including a register of births and baptisms, 1960-68, minute books, 1977-2000, and account books and ledgers, 1940-2001"    
    "During much of the period represented by these records, the chapel suffered a declining membership, from 60 in 1975 to 10 in 2000. The Sunday School was suspended in 1992, although the Sisterhood continued until at least 1994. The chapel was closed on 31 Dec. 2000. ..............."

Church, Western Rd, Cae-mawr, Clydach        SN68630101

  • Church, Western Rd, Cae-mawr, Clydach.    No denomination given     (6)

Church, High St, Mount Pleasant, Clydach       SN68990130

  • Church, High St, Mount Pleasant, Clydach.  No denomination given.   (6)

Trinity, Lower Sybil St, Clydach    SN69190145

  • Trinity, Lower Sybil St, Clydach.  No denomination given.    (6)

See also below

Trinity Forward Movement Church, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach    SN7102

  • Trinity, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach.  No denomination given.    (6)
  • See above

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Trinity Church, Clydach was formed in 1917 as a Forward Movement Centre. For the first four years its meetings were held at the Public Hall, Clydach. Then, in 1921, the church was housed in a military hut obtained from Aldershot and erected on a site bordered by three roads. However, owing to the increase in traffic by the late 1930s, it became evident, as the building deteriorated, that a new location and building was needed. A site was eventually found in a central location. The opening ceremony of the new chapel, known as Trinity Forward Movement Church, Sybil Street, Clydach, took place on 21 February 1940"
    "......... comprises records of Trinity Church, Clydach, including minute books of church committee meetings, 1941-1992, members' contribution books, 1944-1975, account books, 1916-1970, cash books, 1916-1949, a Ministry Collection book, 1916-1939, papers and correspondence, 1919-1998, and photographs of ministers and elders."

Chapel, Heol-y-nant, Clydach      SN69080151

  • Chapel, Heol-y-nant, Clydach.   No denomination given.    (6)

Bethel, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach    SN6801

  • Bethel, Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach.  No denomination given, built in 1905    (6)

Calfaria, Clydach.  SN68970124

  • Calfaria, Clydach. No denomination given, built in 1868       (6)

English (Saesneg), Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach      SN6801

  • English (Saesneg), Clydach, Rhyndwyglydach, Mawr, Ynys-y-mwn.  No denomination given.   (6)
Jehovah Witnesses, Clydach
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a brief history of the Jehovah Witnesses in Clydach -  congregated at the Kingdom Hall, Capel Rd, Clydach  (1)

Roman Catholic Church, Clydach

  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a brief history of the Roman Catholic Church in Clydach - built a chapel on Pontardawe Rd, Clydach  (1)

Noddfa, Garn-sllwt, Rhyndwyglydach    SN62560899

  • Noddfa, Garn-sllwt, Rhyndwyglydach, Mawr, Ynys-y-mwn. No denomination given     (6)

Gospel Hall chapel, Armine Rd, Fforest fach

  • Gospel Hall chapel, Armine Rd, Fforest fach     SS63459548   Built c1910, still in use 2002    (6)

Ebenezer, Glandwr, Landore           SS6595

  • Ebenezer, Glandwr, Landore. No denomination given, built 1886     (6)

Salim chapel, Glandwr, Landore    SS66189601

  • Salim Chapel, Glandwr, Landore. No denomination given, built in 1884 and rebuilt or modified in 1890   (6)

Trewyddfa Chapel, Morriston     SS66129659

  • Trewyddfa Chapel, Morriston. No denomination given    (6)

Morriston, Morriston     SS6698

  • Morriston, Morriston.  No denomination given, built 1857, rebuilt and or modified 1870, 1888 and 1894  (6)

Treforys, Morriston            SS6698

  • Treforys, Morriston. No denomination given, built in 1889    (6)

Wychtree St, Morriston           SS672976

  • Wychtreee St, Morriston.  No denomination given.     (6)

Clase Road chapel, Clase Rd, Morriston       SS67159867

  • Clase Road Chapel, Clase Rd, Morriston.  No denomination given     (6)

Penlan    SS6596

  • Penlan. No denomination given.   (6)

Bethel, Penllergaer           SS61599890

  • Bethel, Penllergaer.  No denomination given.      (6)

Pontybrenin, Llangyfelach      SS6498

  • Pontybrenin, Llangyfelach. No denomination given.    (6)
Capel-y-Graig , Unitarian, Trebanos
  • See Cwmgors/Gwauncaegurwen for a history of the chapel which was opened in 1894   (1)
  • Unitarian, Trebanos, Graig.  Rev William Alva Richards.  1910  (4)
  • Graig Unitarian Chapel, Swansea Rd, Trebanos. SN71350304    (6)

Tabernacle, Swansea Rd, Trebanos    SN71400314

  • Tabernacle, Swansea Rd, Trebanos. No denomination given, built in 1842    (6)

Treboeth Gospel Hall

  • See Treboeth History Group (site no longer there)

Salem, Ynys-y-mwn, Llangyfelach        SS6498

  • Salem, Ynys-y-mwn, Llangyfelach.  No denomination given, built in 1777, modified or rebuilt 1816 and 1877  (6)
  • There is the book by Rhys, William J. Braslun o hanes Eglwys Salem Llangyfelach 1657-1952. Swansea : Trerise, [1952].   (10)  (is this the right Salem ?)

 

Extended  text entries

1. Bethlehem Independent chapel, Carmarthen Rd, Cadle

Return to top

(Contributed by Heulwen Jenkins)

Based on a reading of Cipdrem ar ganrif a hanner yn hanes Bethlehem, Cadle -  A Glimpse at 150 years in the history of Bethlehem, Cadle" by Anne Thomas (English Version) & Kenneth S.Morgan (Welsh Version), 1993

Built in 1840 on  part of Fforestfach Farm, "a site of many battles.", enlarged in 1866.
The first minister was Rev. David Jones, of Clydach, followed by Rev.Thomas Thomas.
A "daughter" chapel of Mynyddbach, and before "Cadle" started, services were held, as per Mynyddbach Chapel history
-1640  Cilfwnwr farmhouse, and a few years later, at Tyrdwncyn.
-1720 - 1759 Samuel Jones , minister at Tyrdwncyn.  1759  assisted by Lewis Rees.
-Wig Uchaf Farmhouse, the home of John & Luce Rosser,  was also a meeting place in Fforestfach until 1776.
-Then Wig Fach Farmhouse, owned by John Knoyle, held meetings & Sunday School classes.

Bethlehem, Cadle was established on 13 Jan 1839 at a service conducted bythe Revs. J. Evans, Crwys; D. Jones, Clydach; E. Griffiths, Swansea, and finally opened on 1 April 1840.

EVENTS

MINISTERS

 

 


UNIFICATION OF CLYDACH CHAPELS

Translated from the Welsh version on CAPEL - Cymdeithas treftadaeth y Capeli / The Chapels Heritage Society  Newsletter

 

Thanks to Hywel Davies, a member of CAPEL and also a member of Hebron Independent Chapel, Clydach, near Swansea, for the following information.

HEBRON, CLYDACH

It is believed that the Independent cause at Hebron, Clydach was started in 1809 under the wing of Mynyddbach Church - but may have been in existence as early as 1804. In the early days the meetings were held in a house named Pentremalwed, near the Swansea Canal, but in 1821 a chapel was built for the purpose on  a nearby site. Due to the growth in the membership in 1848 a larger, new chapel was opened beside the main road into Swansea, again just a stone's throw from the canal. Following further growth a brand new chapel was erected on the same site in 1884 and this is where all the services and meetings were held until decommissioning on March 12th, 2008. In 1892 a sizeable portion of the members to establish a new cause at Carmel, Clydach, this building will house the new Unified Church - under a new name. Hebron Chapel was decommissioned during a service held at 7pm, Wednesday March 12th [2008] - led by Reverend Guto Prys ap Gwynfor.

THE NEW UNITED CHURCH

Hebron Chapel remains quite strong, having over 100 members, but have led the project to unite with two other churches to create a new church in Carmel Independent Chapel, also in Clydach.

The three churches forming the new united church are Salem Presbyterian Church, Faerdref; Hebron Independent Chapel and Carmel Independent Chapel. All three have been decommissioned: Salem, Faerdref on Wednesday, March 5th and Carmel on Wednesday, March 19th. The new church was established during a service at Carmel Chapel at 10.30am, Easter Sunday, March 23rd, with the Reverend Dr. Geraint Tudur, Secretary General of the Welsh Independent Union, officiating.

THE ORGAN AT HEBRON

An assessment has been made of the magnificent pipe organ by Norman and Beard at Hebron, has been done. It was installed in the 1960's following a fire (originally from a large chapel in Cardiff). Unfortuately it is too big to be moved and installed at Carmel Chapel.

The organ will be played during a concert at Hebron Chapel by Ty Tawe choir on Friday evening, April 18th - probably the last event in the building. Finding a new home for her would give us all great pleasure.

(This is an article on the creation of a new united church in Clydach, Swansea following the closure and unification of three chapels: Salem Presbyterian Church, Hebron Independent Chapel and Carmel Independent Chapel.)

 


Return to top

[Last Updated : 3 Feb 2013  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional