Open a form to report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Slaters Commercial Directory, 1871

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Slaters Commercial Directory, 1871

Clydach in the Swansea Valley

Transcribed by Phil Mustoe

Clydach, or Rhyndwyglydach, is a hamlet and small village in the parish of Llangefelach, on the high road from Brecon to Swansea, and distant about 5 miles from the latter: it is in Swansea union and county court district, Upper division of the county, rural deanery of West Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's: the church of St. John is a very pretty cruciform stone building of Welsh sandstone, in the Elizabethan style, and consists of nave and chancel and transept; there is no tower, but a very small bell cot. The living is a vicarage yearly value £150, in the gift of the Crown and Bishop alternately, and held by the Rev. Evan Davies. There are also excellent schools on the British and National systems, and chapels for Baptists and Independents. The extensive iron works of Messrs. Player and Co. are in this parish, and many collieries. His Grace the Duke of Beaufort is lord of the manor. Gross estimated rental, £7,764; rateable value, £7,542; and the population in 1861 was 1,720

Post & Money Order Office & Post Office Savings Bank & Telegraph Office, John Jones, postmaster. - Letters from Swansea at 6.30 a.m.; dispatched thereto at 5.30. p.m.

Schools :-
British, George Gordon, master
National, Walter Rosser, master

Private Residents

Cook Herbert Daniel, Craig felen
Davies Rev. Evan [vicar]
Griffiths Joseph, Vardre
Hill Benjamin, Cwmdwr house
Howells Rev. Hugh Charles [Baptist]
Lewis Thomas
Martin William, J. P.
Owen Rev. Esay [Independent]
Player John, Quarr house
Strick Mrs, Ynistanglws
Williams Rev. John [curate]
Williams Trevor Adam, J. P. Ynistawe

Commercial

Bevan Llewellyn, woollen yarn spinner
Cory, Yeo & Co., colliery proprietors (Wm. David, agent), & at Swansea
Davies Benj., farmer, Gellionen farm
Davies George, iron founder &c. Bullfa iron foundry
Davies William, farmer, Down farm
Davies William, Colliers' Arms
Evan Thos., farmer, Dan-y-coed far
Griffith William, shopkeeper
Griffiths Morgan, grocer
Hill Samuel & John, boat builders & colliery proprietors
Jones Benjamin, tailor & draper
Jones Daniel, farmer, Penbank farm
Jones David, butcher
Jones David, estate agent, Dan-y-coed
Jones David, Three Compasses
Jones John, grocer & postmaster
Jones John, Masons' Arms
Jones Joseph, Bridge inn
Jones Richard, beer retailer
Lewis William, Farmers' Arms
Matthews Catherine (Mrs.), grocer
Maybery John, tallow chandler
Moody Brothers, fire brick makers & colliery proprietors, Clydach & Cwm Cappel colliery
Moody John, mining engineer
Nixon & Bell (William George, agent), colliery proprietors, Graigola colliery
Player John & Co. engineers, iron & brass founders &c. Clydach foundry
Richards Benjamin, Forge & Hammer
Vivian & Sons (Enoch Richard, agent), colliery proprietors
Williams Benjamin, Vardre inn
Ynis Chemical Company (William Rees, man.), manufacturing chemists

Slaters Commercial Directory Clydach in the Swansea Valley, 1871 [Last Updated : 19 Sept 2002 - Gareth Hicks]