We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Morriston in the Parish of Llangyfelach

Bibliography
Business and Commerce Records
Church History
Church Records
Description and Travel
Schools

Bibliography

An online index to the book Morriston's Pictorial Past by Andr'e D. Scoville [1988] has been provided by Les Parsons

Business and Commerce Records

  • F.W.Berke & Company Limited, dealers in sulphuric acid
    1919-1939: cash book
    [West Glamorgan Archive Service, Swansea - Reference: D. 224]

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Morris Papers     c1587-1987         "These papers relate to the Morris family of Swansea, industrialists. The Llangyfelach Copper Works operated by John Lane started production in 1717. In 1724 Robert Morris was brought in from Shropshire to supervise the business and when Lane was declared bankrupt in 1726, Robert Morris took control of the works. He formed the partnership Morris Lockwood and Company and they became a major force in copper smelting and coal mining in the Swansea area until the partnership was dissolved in 1800. The partnership operated the Llangyfelach Works 1726-1748; the Fforest works and Fforest (Battery) Works c1746-c1793 and the Landore Works from c1793. Robert Morris also operated the Cambrian Works 1735-1745. The family founded Morriston as an industrial township in which to house their workers in the late eighteenth century. The records in this archive include personal records of Robert Morris as well as records relating to the management of the Morris estates"
    "'History of the Copper Concern' - historical notes and memorabilia extracted by Robert Morris junior from the letter-books of Robert Morris senior, relating to the latter's copper-smelting works in Swansea 1774; ...........................miscellaneous letters and papers relating to the Morris' copper concerns c1760-1815; ................................. Estate plans and surveys of the Morris estates in Sketty and Morriston 1776-c1884; .......................... "
  • Morriston Tinplate Company Limited    1875-1935     "The Morriston and Midland Tinplate Works were established in 1872. Two companies operated the works during this period until 1899: Messrs D. Glasbrook and Company Morriston Tinplate Works 1872-1899 and Messrs D. Glasbrook Company Midland Tinplate Works 1879-1899. From 1899 until 1953 the works were operated by Morriston Tinplate Company Limited."
  • Upper Forest & Worcester Steel and Tinplate Works Ltd. Morriston      "Situated under Morriston approximately 3 miles from Swansea to the left of Neath Road, the Upper Forest works was the first of its kind in Morriston having been commenced in 1845 by William Hallam, on the site of a gist mill. The tin works were worked by water power at its humble beginning when it consisted of one mill. The Worcester works were opened in 1868, a company formed by William Williams of Maes-y-gwernen Hall, Llangyfelach. The works later absorbed the Upper Forest works and the combined undertaking was responsible for a large proportion of the output of the Port. ................................... The works closed in 1958 and were completely demolished during 1960-61..............."

Church History

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Owen, David  Edmondes (Rev)., papers      "Cuttings and other memorabilia relating to the ministry at Morriston and Llanelwedd, 1897-1910; listing of people connected with the Anglican church at Morriston, arranged street by street, [c.1895]-1900;..........................."

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

The churches are dedicated to St. David and St. John, are in the Benefice of Morriston, and the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. These Morriston churches can be located at these grid references ; St John's, Woodfield St -  SS6699766 ;  St David's, Woodfield St -   SS668980 

Anglican Parish Registers
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
No Registers have been deposited yet

 Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Morriston Ecclesiastical Parish Records         " ........ Registers (including service and banns registers) 1891-1990; Churchwardens' accounts and minute books 1859-1971; PCC/Church Council and Easter Vestry minutes 1859-1971; parish magazines 1890-1984; miscellaneous including papers relating to church property 1924-1956"

 

Non Conformist Registers Deposited
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref Deposited/
Copies
Calfaria, Baptist - 1969-1980 - SS 66819757 WGAS
Libanus, Congregational 1809-1837 - - SS 67359867 PRO/
WGAS
English Wesleyan - 1940-1949 - SS 67019807 WGAS

PRO - Public Record Office, London
WGAS - West Glamorgan Archive Service

Description and Travel

Morriston - on Wikipedia

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Graig School, Morriston, Records      " ........ comprising log books (infants), 1881-1974; admission registers (infants), 1915-1979; album of photographs of staff and pupils, 1977"  
  • Morriston School Records       " ......... comprising log books, 1868-1969; admission registers, 1899-1972."

 

Morriston in the Parish of Llangyfelach [Last Updated : 8 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks]