"LLAN GYNWYD FAWR, in the Cwmwd of Tir yr Hwndrwd, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Newcastle), County of GLAMORGAN South Wales: a discharged Vicarage valued in the King's Books at £19..5..0: Patron, The Right Hon. Lord Vernon: Church dedicated to St. Cynwyd. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 806. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £438..7..2 1/2. It is 7 m. N. b. E. from Bridgend. This Parish contains about 10,000 acres of Land, of which about one-third is uninclosed. It is situate near the rise of the River Lynfi, which afterwards joins the Ogwr. This Parish abounds with Coal, and Iron ore. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Tythes only, was £149..13..11. Near the Village is an old Cromlech, partly demolished, which is called The Old Church; and the Field, in which it stands, is called Old Church Field. Here Edward the Second found a retreat in his adversity". From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.