"Coyltrahen Mission church is a corrugated iron structure, erected in 1896; services are conducted by Mr. T. Butler, lay reader." [From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]
The church is dedicated to St. Thomas, is in the Benefice of Penyfai with Tondu, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS891856.
Coytrahen Estate Papers 1495-1875 "The Coytrahen estate originated as two distinct holdings, one being the Llwydarth Estate in the parish of Llangynwyd, the property of the Powell family, and the other being the Coytrahen Estate in the parishes of Bettws and Llangynwyd, the property of another Powell family, unrelated to the Powells of Llwydarth. The two estates were united after Hannah, daughter of Thomas Powell of Coytrahen, married Anthony Powell of Llwydarth. Hannah's brothers died without issue and her son Anthony inherited both estates. Anthony Powell also died childless, and his estates passed to Morgan Popkin, the son of his sister Mary. She had married John Popkin, the heir to the Cnap-coch estate in the parish of Llansamlet. The Popkin family made their home at Coytrahen. Morgan Popkin married Mary Mathews of Nydfuwch and, when their sons died without issue, the Coytrahen Estate was inherited once again through the female side of the family. Frances, daughter of Morgan and Mary Popkin, married Edmund Traherne of Castellau, and the estate ultimately devolved upon their third son Morgan Popkin Traherne. Morgan also inherited the Nydfuwch Estate from Griffith Price of Penlle'rgaer under his will of 1783, but the lands were sold in 1807 to pay off the debts of his father. The Coytrahen Estate had at its core the mansion and demesne of Coytrahen in the parish of Bettws, near Maesteg, and later Llwydarth in the parish of Llangynwyd. The majority of the estate lay nearby in the parishes of Llangynwyd and Bettws, but there were also smaller scattered holdings in the parishes of Newcastle, Llangeinor and St Brides Minor, and others further afield (all Glamorgan). Much of the estate was amassed piecemeal by the ancestors of the Powell family, and was added to by marriage and inheritance"