GENUKI Home Page LlanharanLlanharan Contents Contents

 Llanharan

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Llanharan database compiled by Glenys Travis with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

 

Baptist

Calfaria Baptist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Bryn-y-Cae

  • Calfaria Baptist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Bryn-y-Cae, Llanharan     SS99798258   recorded in 2000 as demolished  (1)
  • Here is a Baptist chapel erected in 1901 with 160 sittings    1910  (4)                [right one?]

Carmel English Baptist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Dolau

  • Carmel English Baptist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Dolau, Llanharan     ST00128281          (1)
  • ...  in the first half of the 20th Century, Llanharan boasted some five Chapels in the vicinity of Bridgend Road; Carmel alone survived             (3)  

 

Congregationalist

Bethlehem Welsh Independent Chapel, Chapel Road

  • Bethlehem Welsh Independent Chapel, Chapel Road, Llanharan       SS99828324      Built before 1780, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1837 and 1895,  closed  by 1997          (1)  
  • Registers of baptisms from 1777     (2)
  • Here is a Congregational chapel founded in 1780 sitting 500 persons              1910  (4)
  • Rev David Davies (Congregational) of  Hanover House, Llanharan                1910   (4)
  • Rev John Williams (Congregational)   No actual chapel mentioned                 1895   (5)
  • Extant records  (6)
  • Bethlehem Welsh Ind chapel, Llanharan       Opened in 1780       (7)
  • Bethlehem Ind  Llanharan          Erected before 1800             William Griffiths, Minister, Llanharan, Llantrisant                1851   (8)
  •  
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry from this book for this chapel (in Welsh) copied by Gareth Hicks from the Cd published by Archive CD Books - with translation by Steve Stephenson (Oct 2008)

 

Methodist

Bethany Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Bryncae

  • Bethany Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Bryncae, Llanharan     SS99228253            (1)
  • Extant records  (6)
  • The Church building for BETHANY PRESBYTERIAN, BRYNCAE, LLANHARAN, is no longer owned by the Presbyterian Church.  The church was closed and then the building was sold in September 2000. The "sister" church for Bethany was TRINITY PRESBYTERIAN in Pen y Bont Road, Pencoed - the late  Reverend B Vivian Morgan had been the minister for both churches             (RC 9)

For Brynna & Llanharan Methodist Church see Peterston-super-Montem

Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Dolau 

  • Wesleyan Methodist Chapel, Bridgend Road, Dolau, Llanharan         ST00178285        (1)

 

Other (inc un-identified)

Llanharan chapel  ?

  • Llanharan Chapel ; location uncertain, denomination not given        ST0083           (1)

 

[Last Updated :  22 Oct 2008  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.