"LLAN MADOG, in the Cwmwd of Gwyr, Cantref of Eginog (now called the Hundred of Swansea), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Rectory, valued in the King's Books at £9.: Patron, The Prince of Wales: Church dedicated to St. Madog. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 171. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £21..12..4, at 2s. 2d. in the pound. It is 14 m. W. b. S. from Swansea. This Parish contains about seven or eight hundred acres of inclosed and cultivated Land; and about three hundred acres uninclosed and uncultivated. It is situate upon Burry Harbour; and Llan Madog Hill is a well known Beacon to Mariners; upon which are the remains of a Roman Encampment. According to the Diocesan Report, in 1809, the yearly value of this Benefice, arising from Glebe, Tythes, and Surplice Fees, was £124..4..6." From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.