GENUKI Home Page Glamorgan Glamorgan Contents Contents Nearby Places Nearby Places

Llanrhidian

"A village in Gower bordering on the Burry inlet. In the vicinity are the ruins of Weobley Castle, and on the ridge of Cefn-y-Bryn is the famous cromlech, Arthur's stone. The parish also possesses more than one menhir and some traces of a camp. Llanrhidian consists of two hamlets, Lower and Higher - Llanrhidian itself being the former, whilst the area around Penclawdd forms the higher hamlet."

[Glamorganshire, 1911]
Bibliography
Cemeteries
Church History
Church Records
Description and Travel
Directories
Glamorgan Parish Map History
Land and Property
Maps
Occupations
Public Records
Schools

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

References to the town of Llanrhidian at

Cemeteries

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Llanrhidian Church - on the Gower Images site

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph of the Church

LLANRHIDIAN, St. Rhydian    1856-1858     - on Church plans online

LLAN-NEWYDD (Llanrhidian Higher Hamlet) . A Chapel of Ease, time immemorial.

"Consecrated Decbr. 1850, by the Bishop of St. David's.
Erected by the humble exertions of the Ch. Warden of Llanrhidian Higher.
Cost defrayed: private benefaction or subscription 300; total cost 700. And regrets to observe that he has been left missing 400, and that the Incorporated building Society for promoting and building Churches refused its aid on the plea of not being applied before the Church had been erected. Although substantially built with the best materials - such a rule has highly invonvenienced this Churchwarden.
Remarks: Whereas it appears evident by this document that the Government is desirous to get information, I beg to observe that it would be well for the spiritual well-being of this Kingdom were the Government to divide long and large Parishes. This Parish being about 11 miles long, How is it possible for a Clergyman to attend the spiritual requirements of such a Parish? "              P. Evans. Churchwarden.
(From;- Jones, I.G. & Williams, D. The Religious census of 1851 : A Calendar of the returns relating to Wales, Vol 1, South Wales. UWP,   Cardiff, 1976) 

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Rhidian and St. Illtyd, is in the Benefice of Llanrhidian with Llanmadoc and Cheriton, and the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS497922.

A transcription of the registers is available from the Glamorgan Family History Society for the years: Baptisms, 1671-1885, Marriages, 1671-1928, Burials, 1671-1908.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1730-1885 1730-1837 1730-1908 1754-1930 1671, 1678, 1686-1687, 1691, 1697, 1700-1702, 1704, 1707-1708, 1710, 1718, 1725, 1727-1728, 1730-1741, 1743-1757, 1759-1761, 1764-1767, 1770-1771, 1774-1775, 1778-1779, 1781-1800, 1802-1803, 1805-1838, 1840-1848, 1850-1858, 1860-1875, 1878-1882

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

Description and Travel

Descriptions of the parish
A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis and
A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811. 

Places, villages, farms etc within Llanrhidian parish   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Mary Greatorex)

Llanrhidian to Weobley  Castle - on the Swansea Cam site

Aerial photograph of Llanrhidian Marsh, 1991 - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)

Directories

Transcript of complete name listing for the Gower parishes, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

History

Description and images of Weobley Castle at www.castlewales.com by Jeff Thomas

Edmunds, George. The Gower Coast : shipwrecks, lifeboats & rescues ... Abergavenny : Regional Publications, 1986. p192
Here is a comment based on the entry in this book regarding the 'lost village' of Llanellan ; -  " the local story of  the village briefly is that it was about 1.5 miles to the west of Llanrhidian on the hillside above the  Lougher Estuary. There was a footpath down to the estuary and in the darkness a ship became stranded near the approach to the village. The crew abandoned ship and  made their way up the hillside to the lights of the village where the village  people made them welcome and gave them shelter. Unfortunately the ships crew  were carriers of the plague and within a few days the villagers were all dead  and Llanellan never recovered. The area where the village stood is overgrown and  no trace exists except for scattered stones in the undergrowth. There is a tale of a ghostly lady in white that haunts the site (Dragons Lore). The only physical evidence that the village existed are two ancient stones  that came from Llanellan Church and are now built into the Llanrhidian  Church gate post and are dated 1687."

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Maps

View maps covering the area of this parish and places within its boundaries

Occupations

Killan Colliery - Penlan and Penclawdd drifts (near Dunvant) on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

 

Hamlets, Towns and Villages

Llanrhidian


[Last Updated : 14 Nov 2012 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional