Report problems or contribute information

 
1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for Llansamlet

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llansamlet

"LLAN SAMLED, in the Cwmwd of Harfryn, Cantref of Ffiniog (now called the Hundred of Llan Gefelach), Co. of  GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Curacy, not in charge, annexed to the V. of Llan Gefelach, and of the certified value of £12.: Patron, the Bishop of St. David's: Church ded. to St. Samled. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (consisting of the Higher and Lower Divisions) was 2567.  The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, viz, £525.2.3 1/2. It is 4 m. N. b. E. from Swansea.  Here is a Free School, endowed during the pleasure of John Smith, Esq.  This Parish contains about 5000 acres of cultivated Land, and about 500 acres uncultivated.  There are excellent Seams  of Coals now working in the Parish, which are conveyed in Barges by a Canal to the Sea-Port of Swansea.  Here are also three large Copper-works, and two Mills for the purpose of finishing the Copper for Market."(From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811)]

 

Bibliography

Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

Business and Commerce Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • White Rock Works         "The White Rock Copper Works were established in the Lower Swansea Valley in 1737 by John Hoblyn. The works were operated by Thomas Coster and Company. The company was renamed c1739 as Joseph Percivall and Copper Company and they operated the works until 1764 at which date the company was re-formed as John Freeman and Copper Company. From c1870 the works worked lead and silver and were operated by Williams, Foster and Company and Vivian and Sons until 1874, Vivian and Sons from c1874 until 1924, and British Copper Manufacturers' Limited 1924-1928"
    "Material relating to partnership and company affairs 1825-1944; material relating to new production processes 1844-1870; White Rock Estate 1736-1947; Bennett's coal lands, Landore 1853-c1940; Caemoch-law-yr-heol, Landore deeds 1810-c1840; Cathelydgenol, Cathelyducha and Tyllwydin, Llangyfelach deeds 1861-1888; Pantylanse, Tyr y Cawsey and Tyr Bach, Llangyfelach deeds and related papers 1807-1927; Tyr-Ostry, Llangyfelach 1831-c1940; building land in Llansamlet 1846-1858; Llwynherein, Llansamlet 1767-1810;Tyr y Gwle, Llansamlet 1768-1807; Llangyfelach and Llansamlet mineral properties 1736-1926; Canal Wharf and Railway Arches, Swansea 1883-1884;........................................."

Churches

You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llansamlet area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

See Welsh Chapels and Churches for a photograph

See John Ball's site Welsh Churches and Chapels Collection for a photograph/data re St Samled's Church

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Samlet, is in the Benefice of Llansamlet, and Diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS686977.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1704-1920 1704-1788, 1792-1959 1704-1935 1899-1943 1672, 1677-1678, 1680-1681, 1683-1687, 1690, 1693, 1695-1697, 1701-1702, 1707-1708, 1710, 1712-1713, 1716-1717, 1725, 1727-1800, 1802-1803, 1805-1817, 1819-1872, 1876-1878
(At the National Library of Wales)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llansamlet Ecclesiastical Parish Records            "Registers (including service and banns registers) 1704-1992; Churchwardens' accounts 1780-1963; papers relating to church buildings (including plans) 1874-1953; PCC and Vestry minutes 1818-1972; papers relating to charities and bequests 1874-1954; deeds and leases of church property 1879-1947; electoral roll 1920-1939; church organizations 1910-1955; deposited plans of railways, canals, waterworks and harbours in and near Llansamlet parish 1835-1892 and n.d.; miscellaneous 1870-1960."

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Non Conformist Registers Deposited
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref Deposited/
Copies
Bethel, Congregational 1794-1837 - - SS 69379738 PRO/
WGAS
Bethel, Congregational - 1983-1987 - SS 69379738 WGAS

WGAS - West Glamorgan Archive Service
PRO - Public Record Office, London

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llansamlet, St. Samlet - Christenings (BT's), 1815-1872
  • Llansamlet, Bethel Independent - Christenings, 1779-1781
  • Llansamlet, Cwm, Calvinistic Methodist - Christenings, 1812-1837

Description and Travel

Places, villages, farms etc within Llansamlet parish    as shown on the online parish map from the CD of  Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Rob Frayne)

  • Llansamlet Higher (20); Balaclava, Birchgrove, Crymlyn Bog, Drumau House, Felin-fran, Fendrod, Heol-Las, Killvey Hill, Glais, Glanbran House, Gwern-Gwyn-Chwyth, Llansamlet, Nant Bran stream, Peniel Green, Pentre-dwr, Tair ysgol, Tirmynydd Farm, Trallwn, Ynystawe
  • Llansamlet Lower (21); Bon-y-Maen, Cefn Hengoed, Foxhole, Kilvey Hill, Pentre'r-gaseg, Pentrechwyth, Tir-Isaf, Ty-Draw, Winsh-Wen, Ferry, Old Windmill, Canal, Two Inns(unnamed)

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

You can see pictures of Llansamlet which are provided by:

Directories

Transcript of complete name listing for Swansea (including the parish of Llansamlet), from Slaters Directory for 1858-1859.

Historical Geography

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

You can see the administrative areas in which Llansamlet has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Gwernllwynchwyth Estate, papers      1655-1694      "This estate consisted principally of properties in Llansamlet and Cadoxton-juxta-Neath parishes, Glamorgan. Gwernllwynchwyth (now demolished) was situated near Llansamlet. During the 19th century the house was owned by Charles Henry Smith; however during the 17th century it was in the hands of the Evans family, a lateral branch of the Evans family of Gnoll."

Maps

This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS686977 (Lat/Lon: 51.662631, -3.901271), Llansamlet which are provided by:

Occupations

The People's Collection Wales site has material for this parish, use the onsite search box

Scott's Pit, Llansamlet on the Welsh Coal Mines site

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • White Rock Works                "The White Rock Copper Works were established in the Lower Swansea Valley in 1737 by John Hoblyn. The works were operated by Thomas Coster and Company. The company was renamed c1739 as Joseph Percivall and Copper Company and they operated the works until 1764 at which date the company was re-formed as John Freeman and Copper Company. From c1870 the works worked lead and silver and were operated by Williams, Foster and Company and Vivian and Sons until 1874, Vivian and Sons from c1874 until 1924, and British Copper Manufacturers' Limited 1924-1928"
    "Material relating to partnership and company affairs 1825-1944; material relating to new production processes 1844-1870; White Rock Estate 1736-1947; Bennett's coal lands, Landore 1853-c1940; Caemoch-law-yr-heol, Landore deeds 1810-c1840; Cathelydgenol, Cathelyducha and Tyllwydin, Llangyfelach deeds 1861-1888; Pantylanse, Tyr y Cawsey and Tyr Bach, Llangyfelach deeds and related papers 1807-1927; Tyr-Ostry, Llangyfelach 1831-c1940; building land in Llansamlet 1846-1858; Llwynherein, Llansamlet 1767-1810;Tyr y Gwle, Llansamlet 1768-1807; Llangyfelach and Llansamlet mineral properties 1736-1926; Canal Wharf and Railway Arches, Swansea 1883-1884;............................................."  
  • Gerke Collection      "The Morris family were copper smelters in the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries. Chauncey Townsend and Company operated lead and copper works in the Lower Swansea Valley, at Middle bank 1755-1764 and Upper bank c. 1757-1777"
    "Deeds of properties in Llangyfelach and Llansamlet parishes, 1769-1829"

Population

The Population of Llansamlet was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 3,375 1851 - 4,276 1861 - 5,103 1871 - 6,128 1881 - 8,392 1891 - 9,721

Schools

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cwm British School        "Account book of the Cwm British School, Llansamlet 1863-1875; cash account of the Cwm British School 1874-1875.
  • Llansamlet School, records               "......... admission registers, 1900-1979"