GENUKI Home Page Llansamlet Llansamlet Contents Contents

Llansamlet

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This  Llansamlet database compiled by Gareth Hicks with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

 Additional source

 

Baptist

Adullam Baptist (Welsh), Bonymaen

  • Baptist (Welsh), Bonymaen  Rev John D Harries   1895  (4)
  • Adullam Baptist Welsh, Bonymaen    Rev John D Harries   1910  (5)
  • Adulam Baptist chapel, Cefn Rd, Bon-y-maen   SS68189532    Built in 1851 and rebuilt or modified in 1878  (1)
  • Adulam Meeting House, Baptist              Erected in 1848            ["Denomination is giving as 'Welsh Preaching'"] David Thomas, Baptist Minister, Adulam Meeting House           1851   (8)
  • There is the book/article by Griffiths, W J. 'Cyfarfod dathlu canmlwyddiant a hanner Adulam, Bonymaen.' Trafodion Cymdeithas Hanes y Bedyddwyr. (2001)   (6)

Tabernacle Baptist chapel, Foxhole

  •  Tabernacle Baptist, Foxhole                Erected in 1829                    Jenkin Jenkin, Foxhole    1851   (8)          and another return by John Matthews, Agent, Foxhole, Swansea            1851  (8)

Baptist (Welsh)  Peniel,  Glais

  • Baptist (Welsh)  Peniel,  Glais     1910  (5)
  •  Peniel, Llansamlet                SS6897               Denomination not given   (1)                [same place ?]

Tabernacl Baptist chapel, Station Rd, Glais

  • Chapel, Station Rd, Glais    SN70020065  Denomination not given    Built in 1891, still open in 1999    (1)
  • The Chapel mentioned in Station Road, Glais, was Tabernacl, Welsh Baptist    [9 - Havard Gregory]

Ainon Baptist chapel, Heol-las

  • Baptist, Heol-las.  Rev John E Griffiths    1895  (4)
  • Ainon Baptist Welsh, Birchgrove   Rev John Edward Griffiths   1910  (5)
  • Ainon Baptist chapel, Heol-las               SS69729848              Built in 1885 ?             Still open in 1999   (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Records of the Ainon Baptist Chapel, Heol Las, Llansamlet marriage registers, 1920-1957"

 

Congregationalist

Bethel Congregational

  • Bethel (Welsh)   Denomination not given     Rev John Hywel Parry   1895  (4)
  • Bethel (Welsh) Congregational     Rev John Hywel Parry   1910  (5)
  • There is a book Eglwys Annibynnol Bethel, Llansamlet, 1880-1980, [s.l.: s.d.], 16tt. [Testun dwyieithog]    (7)
  • Capel Bethel, Tai-yr-ysgol   SS69389738  Denomination not given     Built 1818, rebuilt or modified in 1839, rebuilt or modified again in 1851 and in 1880  (1)
  • Bethel Independent, village of Tai yr ysgol           Erected in 1818, re-erected in 1850       Robert James, Secretary, Nr Travellers' Rest, Llansamlet               1851   (8)
  • Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Gareth Hicks (April 2009)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Bethel Chapel, Bethel Road, Llansamlet, Glamorgan, was established in about 1818. New chapels were built in 1858 and 1879."
    "Photograph of Bethel Chapel, Bethel Road, Llansamlet [c. 1910]."

Welsh Congregational, Birchgrove

  • Welsh Congregational, Birchgrove   1910  (5)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru  (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Oct 2008)

 

Canaan (Congregational Church), Foxhole

  • Canaan Ind           Erected in 1839        "The reason for the difference in the  attendance Morning and evening is that many of the copper men work from Saturday morning until Sunday morning; consequently they cannot attend until the evening" [morn. 148, even. 389]         John Rees, Minister, Canaan Cottage, Foxhole           1851  (8)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (April 2009)
  • There is the book; Canaan (Congregational Church), Foxhole - These hundred years : Canaan Foxhole 1840-1940, 1940     (6)

Seion Independent chapel, Glais

  • Started in 1841, still open in 1992  (2)
  • Congregational chapel, Glais.    Rev T E Nicholas    1910  (5)
  • Seion Independent chapel, Ynys-y-Mond Rd, Glais   SN70360081   Built in 1840, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1865  (1)
  • Seion Ind chapel, Glais - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru  (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Nov 2008)
  • This looks like the same place
  • Sion Independent Calvinist (Ynys-y-mond hamlet)
  • Sion Independent Calvinist, Glaish   (Ynys-y-mond Hamlet in Cadoxton j Neath parish)               Erected in 1840                 John Rees, Minister, Canaan chapel, Swansea      1851  (10)

English Congregational, Peniel Green

  • English Congregational, Peniel Green      Rev David Hywel Wigley    1895  (4)
  • English Congregational, Peniel Green      Rev D Picton Jones              1910  (5)
  • Peniel Independent chapel, Peniel Green Rd, Peniel Green     SS69489753    (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Records of Peniel Green English Congregational Church, 1937-1985, comprising marriage registers, 1937-1977; Dramatic Society programmes and photographs, 1946-1949; booklet commemorating the centenary of the church, 1985."

Libanus English Independent chapel, Pentre-Chwyth Rd, Pentre-Chwyth

  • Libanus English Independent chapel, Pentre-Chwyth Rd, Pentre-Chwyth    SS6697951 1  Chapel built  in 1872, Schoolroom added in 1913     (1)

 

Methodist

Nazareth Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Birchgrove

  • Calvinistic Methodist, Birchgrove   1895  (4)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Birchgrove   1910  (5)
  • Nazareth, Birchgrove   SS7098   Built in 1876? It is also possible this this chapel is located in SS6698 but it should be noted that there were 2 chapels with the same name , one chapel replacing the other   (1)
  • There is the book by Thomas, William. Braslun o hanes Nazareth, Birchgrove Llansamlet : (Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru) : 1862-1962. [Llansamlet] : [Eglwys Nazareth], [1962?]   (6)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Nazareth Chapel was built by Calvinistic Methodists in Birchgrove, Swansea, Glamorgan, in 1872, on the site of a former schoolroom, built in 1862. The chapel replaced an older building constructed in 1867. In 1906 a new chapel building was started and opened on 20th April 1907. The chapel closed in 1993."
    "Records of Nazareth Chapel, Birchgrove, c.1880-1996, including photocopies of registers, [late 20th century]; records relating to chapel history, [1931]; press cuttings, 1906-1907; notices and orders of service, 1907-1962; photographs, c.1880-c.1995"

Salem/Capel-y-cwm Calvinistic Methodist, Bon-y-maen  See also under Cwm

  • The story of this chapel and its branch chapel - Carmel, Pentredwr - is/was on the Llansamlet History site being  an extract from The History of Methodists in West Glamorgan by the Rev W. Samlet Williams, 1916.
  • Has an entry in the index to History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (3)
  • Salem (Welsh) Calvinistic Methodist, Cwm   1895  (4)
  • Salem (Welsh) Calvinistic Methodist, Cwm     Built in 1903    1910  (5)
  • Salem Welsh CM chapel (Capel-y-cwm), Cwmchapel Rd, Bon-y-maen    SS67769572   First chapel built 1782-3 and rebuilt or modified in 1823 and 1831/2, rebuilt or modified again c1870, further rebuilding or modification in 1880 and again in 1905, Chapel house built  in 1898    (1)
  • Salem CM                   Erected in 1782                    Evan Jenkins, Deacon    1851   (8)
  • Salem Capel y Cwm Welsh CM chapel    Cwm Chapel Road, Bon y Maen, Abertawe, Abertawe SA1 7DH - still open in 2006

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Salem, Capel-y-Cwm, Bon-y-maen, Llansamlet, records, 1932-1999, including annual reports and abstracts of accounts, 1957-1993; yearbooks for the West Glamorgan district, 1985-1991; booklets entitled Detholiad (anthology), 1941-1995; programmes for events, 1947-1995; 'Community View' community newspaper, 1998-1999; silver pendant, presented at a musical competition, 1932."
    " ............. established in 1740. The chapel was damaged by fire in 2001"

Tabor Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llansamlet

  • Has an entry in the index to History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  Denomination not given in index  (3)
  • Tabor Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llansamlet   1895  (4)
  • Tabor Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llansamlet       Rev Thomas Howell Jones   1910  (5)
  • Tabor Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Nantyffin Rd, Maes-y-bar, Llansamlet     SS68579739  Built in 1869, modified, altered or rebuilt in 1879   (1)
  • Tabor Llansamlet Welsh CM chapel     Heol Nantyffin, Llansamlet, Abertawe SA7 9RD - still open on 2006

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Tabor Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was established in 1868 for the people of the Maes-y-Bar area of Llansamlet who found it difficult to attend the already-established chapels in Bonymaen, Pentredwr and Llwynbrwydrau. In 1878 the chapel was rebuilt in a more substantial form"
    "Records of Tabor Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Llansamlet, 2002."

Ebenezer Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Llwynbrwydrau

  • Has an entry in the index to History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (3)
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Llwyn-Brwydrau, Lon-las    Rev Philip John Walters   1895  (4)  
  • Calvinistic Methodist, Llwyn-Brwydrau, Lon-las      1910  (5)
  • Ebenezer CM chapel, Llwynbrwydrau   SS70419726   Built in 1834 and rebuilt or modified in 1843, rebuilt or modified in 1856, rebuilt or modified again in 1882   (1)
  • Ebenezer Welsh CM, Llwynbiwydia            Erected in 1834           Hezeciah Thomas, Deacon, Lon Lase    1851  (8)
  • See   Capeli (2005 list of chapels under threat)
  •  
  • See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • "Ebeneser Chapel, Llwynbrwydwrau, Llansamlet, marriage register, 1972-1989"

Seion Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Peniel Green

  • Seion Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Gwernllwynchwyth, Peniel Green    SS69669763   Built in 1907   (1)

Carmel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Pentre-dwr

  • See under Salem/Capel-y-cwm
  • Has an entry in the index to History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan by The Rev. W Samlet Williams 1916 (Index)  (3)
  • Carmel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Pentre-dwr    SS69089630    Built c 1851, rebuilt or modified in 1863  (1)
  • There is the book;  Eglwys Bresbyteraidd Cymru Carmel, Pentredwr Llansamlet : y ganrif gyntaf 1862-1962 : rhaglen cyfarfodydd dathlu canmlwyddiant gosod carreg sylfaen y capel. Llansamlet : Eglwys Carmel, Pentredwr, 1962.   (6)
  • Carmel Pentredwr English CM chapel         208 Carmel Road, Winch Wen, Abertawe, Abertawe SA1 7LX   - still open in 2006

Bethlehem Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Pentrechwyth

  • Bethlehem (Welsh) Calvinistic Methodist. Pentrechwyth   1895  (4)
  • Bethlehem Welsh Calvinistic Methodist, Pentrechwyth       Rev Oliver O Morgan   1910   (5)
  • Bethlehem Welsh CM chapel, Pentre-Chwyth Rd, Pentre Chwyth  SS67219520   Built in 1876, rebuilt or modified in 1877 and in 1904     (1)  

Carmel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Trallwn

  • Carmel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Trallwn     Rev Thomas Howell Jones  1895  (4)
  • Carmel Calvinistic Methodist chapel, Trallwn     Rev Thomas Howell Jones  1910  (5)

 

Other  (or unidentified)

Birchgrove chapel

  • Birchgrove chapel   Denomination not given     Rev M G Dawkins  1895  (4)

Drumau Rd chapel, Drumau Rd, Birchgrove

  • Drumau Rd chapel, Drumau Rd, Birchgrove   Denomination not given     SS70699837    (1)

Saron chapel, Birchgrove Rd, Birchgrove

  • Saron chapel, Birchgrove Rd, Birchgrove   Denomination not given   SS70529849   Built in 1871, still open in 1999 (1)

Mansel Rd chapel, Mansel Rd, Bon-y-maen

  • Mansel Rd chapel, Mansel Rd, Bon-y-maen     SS67979557  (1)

Jersey Rd chapel, Jersey Rd, Bon-y-maen   

  • Jersey Rd chapel, Jersey Rd, Bon-y-maen       SS67479527  (1)

Salem, Vardre, Llansamlet

English Mission Hall, Llansamlet

  • English Mission Hall, Llansamlet    SS6897   (1)

Salim, Llansamlet

  • Salim, Llansamlet   SS6897  Denomination not given   (1)

Christian Spiritual Church, Gwernllwynchwyth Rd, Peniel Green

  •  Christian Spiritual Church, Gwernllwynchwyth Rd, Peniel Green      SS69659766   (1)

Full Gospel Church, Crickhowel Place, Winsh-wen

  • Full Gospel Church, Crickhowel Place, Winsh-wen    SS68179632  (1)

[Last Updated : 18 Dec 2011 - Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional