We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.


"LLAN TRISAINT, in the Cwmwd of Meisgyn, Cantref of Penythen (now called the Hundred of Miskin), County of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Vicarage valued in the King's Books at £26..14..2: Patrons, The Dean and Chapter of Gloucester: Church dedicated to St. Iddog, St. Dyfaenog, and St. Menw. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, was 1715. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was £1268..16..9. It is 8 1/2 m. S.W. from Caerphilly. There are little remains of its ancient Norman Castle, except the fragment of a circular tower. This was the Birth-place of the celebrated Sir LLYWELYN JENKINS, Secretary of State to James the Second. The Petty Sessions for the Hundred of Miskin are holden here. In this Parish are two Chapels; one, called St. John's, is in the gift of the Representatives of the late Rev. Gervase Powell; the other, called Talagam, is almost in ruins, and is a Donative in the gift of Jesus College, Oxford; it is annexed to the Free School, at Cowbridge, and the Salary is £10. per annum. "    From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.



Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

References to the town of Llantrisant at

An on-line index to the book All our yesterdays - A pictorial history of Llantrisant and Pontyclun has been compiled by Philippa Wood

Business and Commerce Records

  • John Jenkins, maltster
    1847-60: diary and accounts
    [Glamorgan Archive Service, Cardiff]

The Glamorgan Family History Society have produced a set of microfiche containing Monumental Inscriptions for the following burial grounds :-

  • Parish Church of St. Illtyd, St. Gwynno & St. Dyfodwg


The Glamorgan Family History Society  have produced a set of microfiche containing an enumerated transcription and a personal name index. These are available for the years :

  • 1841 - (included in with Cardiff)
  • 1851 - HO107/2456


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llantrisant area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Parish of Llantrisant

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish LLANTRISANT, St. Illtyd St. Tyfodwg & St. Gwynno      1869-1874

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd, St. Gwynno and St. Dyfodwg, is in the Benefice of Llantrisant, and the diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference ST046834.

A transcription of the registers is available from the  Glamorgan Family History Society   for the years: Baptisms, 1717-1871, Marriages, 1717-1837, Burials, 1728-1870. Visit their website for information on how to purchase these fiche.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1728-1962 1728-1939 1728-1908 1857-1927 1717-1718, 1724-1838

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantrisant Ecclesiastical Parish records         ".........including registers of offers, 1903-1933; services, 1939-1972; baptisms, 1728-1962; marriages, 1724-1939; burials, 1728-1908; preachers book, 1911-1917; records relating to: church affairs, 1890-1978"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

Non Conformist Registers Deposited at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Chapel Baptisms Marriages Burials OS Map Ref
Tabor, Baptist - 1932-1938 - ST 04848344
Zoarbabel, Wesleyan 1900-1922 - - ST 04838322

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llantrisant, SS. Illtyd, Gwynno & Dyfodwg - Christenings (BT's), 1717-1875

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llantrisant which are provided by:

"A market town on the north edge of the Vale of Glamorgan, and a contributory borough to Cardiff. It is chiefly remarkable for its romantic situation on the brow of a hill overlooking the lowlands. The eminence is crowned by the ruins of a castle said to have been destroyed in the insurrection of Llewellyn Bren. On the opposite hill is a camp. Iron Ore was once worked in the neighbourhood, which is now occupied by colliery villages."

Glamorganshire, 1911

Places, villages, farms etc within Llantrisant  parish   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of   Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.).  (Extracted by Roy Pugh)

  • Llantrisant (83); Afan Clun, Beddau, Allt-y-cewri, Blandy Terrace, Brickyard, Brynsadler, Bwlch-gwyn, Caer-lan, Castellau on site of castle, Castellau-uchaf, Castellau-ganol, Cil-Ely, Cil-Ely Colliery, Cefn-coed, Cefn-parc, Cem, Coal Level(4), Coed Ely, Coedcae-?, Coed Lan-draw, Coed Mawr, Coed-yr-Hendy, Collena, Colliery(2), Collieries, Common Branch Junction, Crofft-yr-haidd, Croftau, Cross Inn, Cryngallt, Cymmer, Davidstown, Duffryn, Edmondstown, Ely River, Ely Valley Extension, Felin-isaf, Fforest-fach, Ford, Gadrair-wen, Gelli-gron, Gell'r haidd, Gelli seren, Gelli-wen, Gelli-wion, Gilfach, Glyn, Glyn-coch, Coed-yr-Hendy, Graig, Graig Wen, Gwaun Miskin, GWR(3), Halt, Hendre-Forgan, Hendre-Forgan Station, Hendy, Inn(9), Isolation Hospital, Lan, Lan-draw, Llanfarach, Llantrisant, Llantrisant Common, Llwyncrwn-isaf, Llwyncrwn-uchaf, Llwyn-Gibbwn, Llwyn-y-penau, Maendy, Maesuraul , Melin Graban, Mill, min? Graig, Miskin, Miskin Manor, Monastery, Mynydd Dinas, Mynydd Cymmer, Mynydd Gelli-wion, Mynydd Gilfach, Mynydd y Glyn, Mwyndy, Nant Castellau, Nant-Gelli-wion, Nant Mych?, Nant Myddlyn, Newpark, Pant-y-cwestau, Pant-y-ddraenen, Pen-bwch-isaf, Pen-bwch-uchaf, Penrhiwfer, Pont Tal-y-bont, Pen-y-coedcae, Pont-y-brad, Pont-y-clun, Pont-y-paro, Pontypridd, Porthandro, Pwll Gwaun, Redgate Inn, Reservoir, Res'r, Rhyd-halog, Rhiw-brwd?, Rhiw-felen, Rhiw-felen-fach, Rhiw-garn, Rhiwinder, Rhondda River, Sewage Wks, Talbot Road, Tal-y-fedw, Tal-y-garn, Tonyrefail, Track of old railway(2), Tran, Treferig Cottage, Treferig Ho, Trebanog, Tre-borth, Trehafod, Ty-draw, Tyla-winder, Tylcha fach, Tylcha fawr, Tylcha ganol, Tynewydd (2), Tyn-y-bryn, Tyr-heol, Underhill Ho, Vicarage, Williamstown, Ysgawrddu, ?-y-felin, ?-y-garn

Description of parish from A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.

Llantrisant - a community site

Llantrisant and Talbot Green - on the Rhondda Cynon Taf Libraries Heritage Trail site

Llantrisant Castle on the Castle Wales site

Llantrisant - on Wikipedia

Llantrisant - the Freemen's site


Transcript of complete name listing for Pontypridd and Llantrisant, from Slaters Directory for 1858-1859.

Transcript of complete name listing for Llantrissant, with Brynsadler, New Mill and Tonyrefail, from the Post Office Directory, for 1871

Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Slaters Directory for 1880.

Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llantrisant has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish



Description of Llantrisant Castle at www.castlewales.com by Jeff Thomas

Historical snippets re 'the Rhondda', various contributors

Portreeves of Llantrisant. Cardiff Records, Volume V, Chapter XII.  (British History Online)

Land and Property

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Cadwgan of Llantrisant deeds     1780-c1900     "Records relate to property and members of the Cadwgan family of Graig-wen farm, parish of Llantrisant near Pontypridd and Porth."
  • Llantrisant deeds      "deeds, 1594-1843; certificates, 1697-1745; apprenticeship indentures, 1720-1847; miscellaneous accounts and receipts, c1800-1850."


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference ST046834 (Lat/Lon: 51.541361, -3.377061), Llantrisant which are provided by:


Pubs and Publicans in the Llantrisant area 1800-1900. Contributed by Jean Gilson with additions by Jill Muir, 2001

Local Collieries not shown elsewhere on this site;


The Population of Llantrisant was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 3,222 1851 - 4,181 1861 - 5,492 1871 - 8,086 1881 - 13,368 1891 - 19,702

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Borough of Llantrisant records      1424-1912     "The Borough of Llantrisant (Glamorgan) was established in c. 1246, and the first charter was granted in 1346. Prior to the Reform of Parliament Act 1832, the boroughs of Llantrisant, Cardiff, Cowbridge, Kenfig, Aberavon, Neath, Swansea, and Loughor, voted together, and sent one burgess to parliament. After 1832, Llantrisant, Cardiff and Cowbridge jointly sent one member, and continued to do so until the Representation of the People Act 1918. Llantrisant's only court was the Court Leet View of Frankpledge, meeting in May and October, responsible for making bye-laws, general orders, and the administration of the markets. The Borough's powers were gradually superseded, and under the terms of the Municipal Corporations Act 1883, Llantrisant Borough was dissolved. In 1889, Llantrisant Town Trust was established under an order of the Charity Commissioners to administer ancient borough property; to manage the common; to enrol freemen; to maintain the pump; and to improve the town"  
  • Llantrisant and Llantwit Fardre Rural District Council records            "Records of the Llantrisant and Llantwit Fardre Rural District Council, 1852-1977: minutes 1895-1964; committee minutes, 1920-1948; reports of the medical officer of health, 1916-1962; bye-laws, 1902-1956; Home Office orders, 1894-1898; local and personal acts relating to the Llantrisant area, 1852-1917; papers concerning the Ely Valley Sewerage Scheme, 1911; papers relating to the 'Llantrisant New Town Inquiry,' 1972; and photographs with related correspondence, 1968-1977"
  • Llantrisant Civil Parish records        "Records of the Llantrisant Civil Parish comprising churchwardens' accounts book, 1825-1868; vestry minutes and accounts, 1759-1781; vestry and parish meeting minutes books, 1771-1897; overseers and assistant overseers' rate books, 1835-1891; overseer's account books, 1814-1837; overseer's minutes of meetings, 1897-1927; valuation lists, 1855-1899; highway rate book, 1865-1891; highway account books, 1836-1852; rural sanitary rate books, 1878-1891; burial board rate book, 1880-1891; tithe plan and apportionment, c1840s; town ward minutes book, 1894-1925; nomination papers, 1913-1925; Tonyrefail ward minutes book, 1895-1925; parish council minutes books, 1908-1929; annual parish meeting minutes book, 1894-1925; miscellaneous records, 1801-1921"
  • Miskin Lower Petty Sessional Division records                "Court registers (Llantrisant), 1909-1968; court registers (Pontypridd), 1910-1968; court registers (Porth), 1902-1968; court registers (Ystrad), 1911-1968; court registers (second court), 1910-1949; court registers, 1968-1977; minutes books (Pontypridd), 1951-1953; minutes book (Porth second court), 1925-1948; minutes books (Ystrad third court), 1937-1950; record of cases committed for trial, 1903-1943; registers of juvenile court, 1933-1984; registers of juvenile court (second court), 1949-1958; registers of music and dancing, 1893-1944; registers of clubs, 1902-1926; registers of licences, 1869-1943; special sessions book, 1914-1931; adoption registers, 1927-1965; adoption orders, 1928-1943; adoption orders and papers, 1941-1965; Pontypridd court case papers, 1956-1960; and matrimonial court registers, 1977-1983."


Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantrisant School Board records             "........... comprising of minute books, 1871-1903; ledger, 1902-1903; letter book, 1899-1903"
  •  (Pontypridd) and Llantrisant Division Elementary/Primary schools records      "Pontypridd and Llantrisant Division Elementary/Primary schools records including log books and admissions registers relating to Beddau Board school, 1877-1977; Gelynog school Beddau, 1921-1923; Ystradbarwig school Beddau, 1919-1930; Coedely school, 1924-1934; Cwm-lai school Tonfrefail, 1910-1959; Evanstown school, 1895-1954; Evantown Council school, 1919-1973; Evanstown Cookery and Laundry Centre, 1920-1952; Evanstown Handicraft Centre, 1919-1927; Gilfach Goch schools, 1870-1945; Gwaunmeisgyn school Beddau, 1983; Hendreforgan school, 1916-1959; Llantrisant National school, 1863-1921; Maes-y-bryn school and Llantwit Fardre school, 1894-1982; Trefilltud Temporary Council school, 1906-1955; Miskin Village Board school, 1877-1962; Penrhiw-fer school, 1881-1949; Pont-y-clun schools, 1878-1946; Tonrefail school, 1888-1967; Gellidawel school Tonrefail, 1912-1949; Gellidawel Cookery Centre, 1912-1917; Tonysguboriau school, 1909-1922; Trebanog school, 1921-1934"