"CYMMER, a village in Llantrissaint parish, Glamorgan; at the confluence of the Rhondda-Vach and Rhondda-Vawr rivers, 15 miles NW of Cardiff. ... A fire-damp explosion in a coal-pit here, in 1856, killed 114 colliers." [From John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72) on Vision of Britain]
"CYMMER and PORTH, now separate ecclesiastical parishes, are townships forming part of the Urban District of Rhondda, in the hundred of Caerphilly; Cardiff petty sessional division, Pontypridd union, rural deanery of Rhondda and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff, 176 miles from London, 4 from Pontypridd, 16 from Cardiff, 16½ from Merthyr Tydfil and 6 from Llantrisant. Porth has a station on the Rhondda and Ferndale branches of the Great Western railway.
The parish church of St. John the Evangelist Cymmer, erected in 1887, at a cost of £3,000 enlarged at a cost of £1500, is a building of stone in the Early English style, ... : in 1895 a new organ was erected at a cost of £300 : in 1914 a reredo was erected at a cost of £150 to the memory of the late Rev. William Thomas Lic.Div. first vicar of the parish 1894-1913... A memorial chapel was erected in 1922 at a cost of £700 from public subscriptions, and contains the names of parishioners who fell during the Great War, 1914-18; there are sittings for 600 persons. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £250, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage, and held since 1914 by the Rev. Daniel Mark M.A. of the University College of Wales, and surrogate. [Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks]