|Llantwit Fardre Contents|
Llantwit Fardre - Lewis 1833
"LANTWIT-VAIRDRE (LLAN - ILLTYD - VAER-DRE), a parish in the hundred of MISKIN, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, 2 miles (E. N. E.) from Llantrissent, comprising the Higher and Lower divisions, and containing 811 inhabitants.
The river Taf runs along the eastern confines of this parish, which abounds with coal : this fuel is worked for exportation at the Maes-Mawr collieries, where about forty persons are employed : from these works a tram-road communicates with the Glamorganshire canal : there are also several smaller collieries, worked by shaft, only for home consumption.
In the north-eastern part of the parish, on the banks of the Taf, a populous and increasing village has been brought into existence by the erection of very extensive works belonging to Messrs. Biddulph and Co., of Ledbury, for the manufacture of patent wrought-iron railway plates. Many cottages have also been built here by Mr. Crawshay, for the workmen to be employed in tin-mills, which he purposes to establish at this place. The river Taf is here crossed by two bridges, over one of which is a tram-road, connecting the new works with the canal, which passes within a few yards on the other side of the river.
The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Llantrissent, (to which the vicarial tithes are appropriated), in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf, endowed with £1000 royal bounty, and £ 1400 parliamentary grant. The church, dedicated to St. Illtyd, is situated in a sequestered spot, and surrounded only by a few cottages : having become exceedingly dilapidated, it is about speedily to undergo a thorough repair. Morgan Griffith, in 1644, gave by will a rent-charge of £2, for the benefit of four poor families of this parish.
The average annual expenditure for the support of the poor is £286. 13."
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996