We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Llantwit Juxta Neath

"LANTWIT, LOWER, in the Cwmwd of Rhwng Nedd ac Afan, Cantref of Cron Nedd (now called the Hundred of Neath), Coumty of GLAMORGAN, South Wales: a Chapel, not in charge, to the Rectory of Neath: Patron, The Marquis of Bute: Chapel dedicated to St. Illtyd. The Resident Population of this Parish, in 1801, (including the Hamlets of Clyne, Lantwit Lower, and Resolvend) was 875. The Money raised by the Parish Rates, in 1803, was, £393..18..0. It is 1 m. N.N.E. from Neath. There is a Chapel belonging to Lantwit, called Ynys Fach, which was never consecrated, and is now in ruins. It is situate on the river Neath. "   From: A Topographical Dictionary of The Dominion of Wales by Nicholas Carlisle, London, 1811.


Here is a substantial reading list of books which relate to Glamorgan, either county or parish.

An on-line index to the book Old Neath & District in Pictures, volumes 1, 2 & 3 have been provided by Brian Wagstaffe.

A book titled The History of the Vale of Neath by D. Rhys Phillips, 1925, has been indexed by Brian Wagstaffe.

Some monumental inscriptions at the churchyard, by Brian Wagstaffe

A plan of the churchyard by Brian Wagstaffe

Llantwit New Cemetery by Brian Wagstaffe

Villages of the Neath Valley and their Burial Grounds, by Brian Wagstaffe


You can also perform a more selective search for churches in the Llantwit Juxta Neath area that are recorded in the GENUKI church database. This will also help identify other churches in nearby townships and/or parishes. You also have the option to see the location of the churches marked on a map.

Church History

Chapels Database  - a  list of all known non-conformist chapels or other non-Anglican religions in the parish

Images and History of the church of St. Illtyd, Llantwit juxta Neath, by Brian Wagstaffe

Images and History of the the Churches at Neath and Llantwit at the Parish of Neath website

Church Records

For full and up-to-date details of their holdings see the sites of Glamorgan Record Office and/or West Glamorgan Archives

See Bap/Mar/Bur data on  FreeReg

The church is dedicated to St. Illtyd, is in the Benefice of Neath with Llantwit, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS762980.

Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Baptisms Marriages Burials Banns Bishops Transcripts
1638-1647, 1653-1679, 1695-1896 1638-1647, 1653-1679, 1696-1919 1638-1647, 1653-1679, 1696-1891 - 1698-1699, 1721, 1723-1794, 1796-1837

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantwit-juxta-Neath Ecclesiastical Parish records            "........ including registers relating to the churches of St Illtyd and St Catherine of baptisms, 1695-1926; marriages, 1695-1985; burials, 1695-1937"

Modern Parishes & Chapels of Ease :-

The following Religious Institutions are covered in the Mormon International Genealogical Index (IGI) :-

  • Llantwit juxta Neath, St. Illtyd - Christenings (BT's), 1813-1861

    Neath and Llantwit area. A collection of half a dozen Parish Magazines from the 1926 to 1959 period which have about 300 records of Births, Marriages, Deaths --- provided by Brian Wagstaffe

Description and Travel

You can see pictures of Llantwit Juxta Neath which are provided by:

"LANTWIT juxta NEATH, or LANTWIT LOWER (LLAN-ILLTYD), a parish comprising the townships of Clyne, Lantwit, and Resolvend, which separately maintain their own poor, in the hundred of NEATH, county of GLAMORGAN, SOUTH WALES, adjoining the borough of Neath, and containing 1117 inhabitants, of which number, 727 are in the hamlet of Lantwit. This parish is pleasantly situated on the river Neath, and comprises a considerable extent of country, which is richly wooded and enlivened with much beautiful and pleasingly diversified scenery. The surface is finely varied, and from the higher grounds are obtained some pleasing and extensive views. The soil is various : coal and iron-ore are found in different parts of the parish ; and there are some extensive quarries of paving-stone of good quality. The principal coal-works are those of Messrs. Riddle, Yong, and Co., in which about forty men are constantly employed; and the quarries, which are not now worked to their full extent, afford employment to about fifteen men. The living is consolidated with the rectory of Neath, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaf. The church is dedicated to St. llltyd, from which circumstance the parish derives its name, properly " Llan-Illtyd," but contracted into " Lantwit." There was formerly a chapel in this parish, called Ynys Vach, but it was never consecrated, and was suffered many years ago to fall into decay. Morgan Jenkins, in 1692, bequeathed a small portion of land to the poor. The average annual expenditure for the maintenance of the poor amounts to £323. 1., of which sum, £205. 16. is raised on the hamlet of Lantwit." ( A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1833) by Samuel Lewis.)

Places, villages, farms etc within Llantwit juxta Neath   as shown on the online parish map from the CD of Historic Parishes of England and Wales: an Electronic Map of Boundaries before 1850 with a Gazetteer and Metadata [computer file]. (Kain, R.J.P., Oliver, R.R.). (Extracted by Rob Frayne)

  • Llantwit Lower (52); Aberdulais, Blaen cwmbach, Bron, Cefn Morfydd, Cefn-Saeson, Crythan Bk, Crythan Farm, Cwm-pandy, Eaglesbush, Neath canal, Pen-rhiw-Angharad, Pen-rhiw-tyn, Tonna, Ton-y-gruglas, Troed-y-rhiw, Ty'n-yr-heol, Wenallt Farm, Wenallt Wood, Ynys-Nedd farm
  • Llantwit Higher (53); Banwen Tor y Betal, Blaen-Twrch, Carn Caca, CLYNE, Clyne Farm, Glyn Gwilym, Henllan, Tynewydd
  • Resolven (54); Clydach Brook, Cwmgwrach, Clyn Castle, Dre-hir, Hendre Owen Fach, Hendre Owen Fawr, Melin Court, Melin court brook, Nant-y-Felin, Pant-y-geifr, Resolven, Ty-llwyd, Waterfall


Transcript of name listing for Neath and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-


1822-1823 (Pigot's Directory)   1858-1859 (Slater's Directory) (50k)


Historical Geography

You can see the administrative areas in which Llantwit Juxta Neath has been placed at times in the past. Select one to see a link to a map of that particular area.

Some of the hamlets, towns and villages within this parish

  • Clyne
  • Cwmgwrach (On border with Glyncorrwg parish and maybe should be included in this parish)
  • Eaglesbush
  • Glyn Castle
  • Melincourt


Neath Valley and the Neath Canal, by Brian Wagstaffe

Parson's Folly - The Single Span Bridge at Brynchwyth by Brian Wagstaffe. Images of the Brynchwyth Bridge and History of the Glyncorrwg Railway

Land and Property

  • Eaglesbush Estate, papers         1621-1972            "The Evans Family of Eaglesbush were related by marriage to the Mackworth family of Gnoll, both being descended from Edward Evans who lived in the 17th century. In 1859 another Edward Evans married Mary Ann daughter of Benjamin and Ann Rice, and their descendant Walter took the surname Rice Evans. The core of the estate was in the parish of Llantwit-juxta-Neath, Glamorgan, to the east of the road from Neath to Briton Ferry. There were also a significant number of outlying farms in the parishes of Llansamlet, Llandeilo Talybont, Llangyfelach, Llantwit Major and Coity, Glamorgan. ................................."


This diagram shows the position of this parish within the county of Glamorgan - click on this to see a full size diagram of the county

Glamorgan Parish Map

You can see maps centred on OS grid reference SS762980 (Lat/Lon: 51.667054, -3.791552), Llantwit Juxta Neath which are provided by:


The Population of Llantwit Juxta Neath was as follows, and a more detailed breakdown is available.

1841 - 1,532 1851 - 1,992 1861 - 2,232 1871 - 2,554 1881 - 2,890 1891 - 3,295

Public Records

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Llantwit-juxta-Neath parish records         " ...... including photocopy of Churchwarden's account book, 1800-1865; tithe plans and apportionments, 1845."