Transcript of name listing for Pontypridd, and district, from Commercial and Trade Directories, for the years:-
Extract From Kelly's South Wales Directory 1923 (ArchiveCDBooks) - transcribed by Gareth Hicks
"Abercynon, formerly called "Navigation," is an ecclesiastical parish formed in 1908 from Llanwonno and Pontypridd civil parishes; it is 3 miles north-by- east from Pontypridd, and has a station on the Pontypridd and Aberdare section of the Great Western railway. The Aberdare and Glamorganshire canals form a junction here, where there is a quay. Abercynon is governed by the Mountain Ash Urban District Council, of which it forms a ward, and is in the Pontypridd division of Glamorganshire, Higher Miskin petty sessional division, Pontypridd union and county court district, rural deanery of Rhondda and archdeaconry and diocese of Llandaff. The church of St. Donat, erected in 1898 at a cost of £3,800, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave with gallery, and one aisle, and will seat 500 persons. The register dates from the year 1908. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £197, in the gift of the Bishop of Llandaff and the Board of Patronage. and held since 1923 by the Rev. Daniel Morgan L.Div. of St. David’s College, Lampeter. Calfaria Baptist chapel, erected in 1888, will seat 850. Moriah Baptist chapel, erected in 1904, has 400 sittings. The Welsh Baptist chapel, erected in 1906, has 350 sittings, and there is also a Welsh Methodist chapel, which was erected in 1904. Bethania Congregational chapel, erected in 1894, will seat 900. Mount Zion Congregational chapel, erected in 1903, has 250 sittings; there are also two Wesleyan chapels. The Workmen’s Hall and Institute, opened in 1905, contains a reading room and lending library, besides a, large hall and other rooms. A clock tower was erected in 1922 by public subscription as a memorial to the men connected with Abercynon who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1911 was 8,181."