GENUKI Home Page Loughor Loughor Contents Contents

Loughor

Chapels database

This project is fully described on Glamorgan Chapels Database

This Loughor database compiled by Gareth Hicks - with contributions from;

If a chapel is already mentioned on the main parish page then its name will act as a link to that section for any data recorded there - such as extant records and OS Grid references

Some chapels may have more than one entry if it is not possible to correctly identify each from a particular source

(For an explanation of the various non-conformist denominations see Gareth's Help Page )

Sources referred to (indicated by number shown in brackets after the data entry) where there may be more data available

Sources;

Additional

 

Baptist

Bethania Baptist Welsh, Gowerton

  • Baptist Welsh, Gowerton                     1895  (3)
  • Baptist Welsh, Gowerton                     1910  (4)
  • Bethania Baptist chapel, Mount St, Gowerton       SS58709631   Built 1870 and rebuilt or modified in 1874   (5)

Penuel Baptist, Welsh, , Upper Town, Loughor

  • Penuel Baptist, Welsh, , Upper Town            Rev Thomas M Reed      1895 (3)
  • Penuel Baptist, Welsh, , Upper Town            Rev Edwin Watkins        1910  (4)
  • Pennel Baptist Welsh, Loughor                      Rev Benjamin Watkins     1871 Post Office Directory
  • Penuel Baptists                 Erected in 1843             James James, Minister, Three Crosses, Swansea          1851  (7)

 

Congregational

Welsh Congregational, Gowerton

  • Welsh Congregational, Gowerton                1895  (3)
  • Welsh Congregational, Gowerton                Rev David Oliver Davies  1910  (4)

English Congregational, Gowerton

  • English Congregational, Gowerton                1895  (3)
  • English Congregational, Gowerton                  Rev Benjamin Davies Williams   1910  (4)

Tabernacle Congregational, Gowerton

  • Tabernacle Welsh Independent chapel, Gorwydd Rd, Gowerton   SS59279624   Built in 1883 and rebuilt or modified in 1893                (5)
  • There is a book by Hugh Bridgewater: Eglwys Annibynnol y Tabernacl, Tregwyr: canmlwyddiant yr achos, 1893-1993. Tabernacle Independent chapel, Gowerton: centenary celebrations, 1893-1993, (Swansea, 1993), 14, 14tt. [Testun dwyieithog].   (1)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Tabernacl Welsh Independent Church, Gowerton, Glamorgan, was established in 1884. Its ministers included the Rev. J. Abel, 1928-1950, the Rev. D. Stanley Jones, 1953-1971, and the Rev. Meirion Morris from 1975. In 1979 Tabernacl joined with Bethel, Sketty, under the ministry of the Rev. Huw Ethall. The Chapel secretary during most of this period was Dr Ifor Davies (1910-1982), MP for Gower"
    "Correspondence (addressed to Dr Ifor Davies) regarding the calling of ministers for Tabernacl Welsh Independent Church, Gowerton 1928-1979"

 Horeb, Congregational, Lower town, Loughor

  • There is a book by R. Cerwyn Davies: Horeb Welsh Congregational church, Loughor: a century of Christian witness, 1858-1958, (Swansea, 1957), 52pp.    (1)
  • Horeb Welsh Congregational, Lower town           Rev John Thomas  1895   (3)
  • Horeb Welsh Congregational, Lower town           Rev Richard William Davies   1910 (4)
  • Horeb Independent chapel, Castle St, Loughor   SS56399803    Chapel built in 1857 & rebuilt or enlarged in 1879 and 1902  (5)
  • Horeb Independent Welsh, Loughor              Rev John Thomas   1871 Post Office Directory
  • Horeb, Loughor - opened in 1857   (6)
  • Rees, Thomas & John Thomas. Hanes Eglwysi Annibynnol Cymru (History of the Welsh Independent Churches), 4 volumes (published 1871+). Here is the entry for this chapel (in Welsh) - with translation by Heulwen Jenkins (Mch 2009)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Horeb Ind chapel;       " .......was established in 1858."
    "....... registers of marriages, 1942-1980."

Soar Independent chapel, Pengry Rd, Upper town, Loughor

  • Soar Independent chapel, Pengry Rd, Upper town, Loughor   SS57929841   (5)
  • Soar Ind chapel, Casllwchwr - Shown as still open on the Union of Welsh Independents site (Dec 2006)

English Independent chapel, Loughor

  • English Independent chapel, Loughor    SS5798     (5)

Nabo Independent chapel (Schoolroom Mission), Loughor

  • Nabo Independent chapel (Schoolroom Mission), Loughor    SS56769815    (5)

 

Methodist

Bethel CM, Gowerton

  • Bethel CM, Gowerton                   1895  (3)
  • Bethel CM, Gowerton                   Rev Lewis Richards   1910  (4)
  • Bethel CM, Sterry Rd, Tre-Gwyr/Gowerton     SS58929631   Built in 1873   (5)

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Bethel, Sterry Road, Gowerton, Records          "Bethel was a Calvinistic Methodist chapel in Sterry Road, Gowerton, Glamorgan, now Swansea. The cause began with a congregation meeting in a barn at Fferm Isaf, Waunarlwydd, Swansea. The chapel was built in 1873. One of the noteworthy members of the chapel was William Abraham ('Mabon') (1842-1922), the first president of the Federation of South Wales Coal Miners and MP for Rhondda, who was choirmaster at Bethel. The church was closed on 19 July 2000 due to the state of the building"
    "........... including records relating to the centenary 1973; records relating to the effect of a road-widening project on Bethal graveyard, 1988-1989"

Moriah Calvinistic Methodist, Glebe Rd, Loughor

  • Index entry for Loughor in History of the Methodists in West Glamorgan   (2)
  • Moria CM, Welsh, Upper Town            Rev Daniel Jones     1895 (3)
  • Moria CM, Welsh, Upper Town            1910  (4)
  • Moriah CM chapel and schoolroom, Glebe Rd, Loughor    SS57719811  
    Built 1828, modified, altered or rebuilt 1836 1842 & 1899. Has historical associations with Evan Roberts and the religious revival of 1904-5, he is buried at Moriah   (5)
  • Mr Evan Roberts and the Revivalists from Loughor, 1905 - on the People's Collection Wales site (use search box)
  • Moriah CM  Welsh                         1871 Post Office Directory
  • Moriah CM, Loughor Borough            Erected in 1822             David Harry, Elder                  1851  (7)
  • Moriah Casllwchwr English CM chapel       66 Heol Glebe, Casllwchwr, Abertawe SA4 6RZ   - still open in 2006

Details of extant records on Archives Network Wales for the following;

  • Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Loughor, records          "The Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel was built in 1842 in Morriston, Glamorgan, now in Swansea, and replaced Capel Tô Gwellt, a converted barn that had served as a meeting place since c.1827. Moriah was rebuilt in 1898. Evan Roberts, (1878-1951), a prominent figure in the 1904-05 Revival, was a member and preached at the chapel.
     "Brief history of Moriah Calvinistic Methodist Chapel, Loughor, 2001."

Libanus CM, Mason's Rd, Upper Town, Loughor

  • Libanus CM, Mason's Rd, Upper Town       1895  (3)
  • Libanus CM, Mason's Rd, Upper Town        1910  (4)

 

Other (or unidentified)

Gospel Temple Independent chapel (United Reformed Church), Sterry Rd, Gowerton

  • Gospel Temple Independent chapel (United Reformed Church), Sterry Rd, Gowerton    SS59129626   Built in 1883 and rebuilt or modified in 1899   (5)

Pisgah, Pisgah Bwlchnewydd, Loughor

  • Pisgah, Pisgah Bwlchnewydd, Loughor     SS57289864      Denomination not given         (5)

Quaker's chapel,  Loughor

  • Quaker's chapel,  Loughor    SS5798     (5)

[Last Updated : 7 July 2010  -  Gareth Hicks]

InfoFind help, report problems, and contribute information.

Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996 to date
GENUKI is a registered trade mark of the
charitable trust GENUKI

Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional


Hosted by Mythic Beasts Ltd.