The church is dedicated to St. John the Evangelist, is in the Benefice of Gowerton and the diocese of Swansea and Brecon. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS590964.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office
Rosser, Mr W. J. "Gowerton Steel Works was officially known as Elba Steel Works until relatively recently. It originated c1872 when Mr Alfred Sterry, Mr Roger Beck and Mr Healy went into business and began operations on the present site of the steel works. From 1878 until 1902 Wright, Butler and Company Limited operated the works. By the end of the nineteenth century trade had declined markedly and Gowerton Steel Works was forced to close in 1898. It reopened in 1900. Baldwins Limited operated the works from 1902 until 1945 when Richard Thomas and Baldwins Limited was registered. ..................................."
"Photographs of Gowerton Steel Works 1967 and typescript copy of a history of the 'Gowerton Steelworks' c1960."
Killan Colliery (Dunvant) "Killan Colliery was sited near Gowerton in the Swansea area. It was a small mine which produced both gas and house coals. By 1913, the Colliery was owned by the Killan Colliery Co. Ltd. However, by 1917, it had been bought by W. W. Holmes & Co. The Colliery was closed in 1925. [Source: Ray Lawrence, The South Wales Coalfield Directory, Vol. 2 (1998 edn), p. 294]
"Account Books 1913-1916; Sales Books 1921-1923; Pay Sheets 1923; Bills and Receipts 1916-1917"
Gowerton Intermediate/County School Records "Records of Gowerton Intermediate/County School (after 1940 Gowerton Boys' Grammar School), 1896-[1970s], including Governors' minutes, 1896-1945; accounts, 1923-1939; admission registers and indexes, 1902-1963; staff registers, 1897-1946; inspection reports, 1926-1937; examination results, 1924-1968; correspondence, circulars and notes, 1926-1957; photographs of staff, pupils, sports teams, buildings and other subjects, 1910-[1970s]; ephemera relating to school plays, [c. 1934]-[c. 1950]; records relating to Gowerton Girls' Grammar Schoo, 1948-1972, including school magazines"
Gowerton School records "....... including log books, 1880-1952; admission register, 1900-1920."