LOUGHOR is a parish, borough and station on the South Wales section of the Great Western Railway, and a contributory to the parliamentary borough of Swansea, in the hundred of Swansea, Llanelly union and county court district, rural deanery of Gower, archdeaconry of Carmarthen, and diocese of St. David's, and in the Western division of the County of Glamorgan; it is situated on the left bank of the river Loughor, or Llwchwr, 8 miles west from Swansea, 4 east from Llanelly, 121 by rail from London, it is also about 2 miles from the Gorseinon station of the Llanelly Railway. The government of the borough is vested in a mayor, twelve alderman, and an unlimited number of burgesses. The river Loughor, which bounds the borough on the western side, is also the boundary of the counties of Glamorgan and Carmarthen; it is crossed here by a substantial wooden bridge upwards of a hundred yards in length. The church os St. Michael is an ancient plain stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, 1 aisle, and belfry with 1 bell. The living is a rectory, yearly value #210, with residence and two acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held by the Rev. Evan Jenkins, of St. David's College, Lampeter. There is a National school. There are chapels for Baptists, Calvinistic methodists and Independents. There are several collieries in the neighbourhood, and the extensive tin works of Mr. J. J. Jenkins are situated close to the bridge on the Carmarthenshire bank of the river. Fairs are held here on the first Monday in June and October 10th. There are some ruins of an ancient castle, believed to have been built by Henry Beaumont, Earl of Warwick, in the year 1099. The area of the parish is 3,999 acres, including water; gross estimated rental, #5,694; rateable value, #4,919; and the population in 1861 was 1,238.
POST OFFICE - William Dowdeswell, Upper Town, sub-postmaster. Letters from Llanelly arrive at 8.30 a.m.; dispatched at 3.30 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Llanelly.
Police Station, Titus Davies, constable
Clerk to the Borough, Benjamin Jones, Esq., Llanelly
Insurance Agent, Royal, William Evans
Places of Worship :-
St. Michael's Church, Rev. Evan Jenkins, rectorNational School, Alexander Smith, master
Baptist (Pennel) Chapel (Welsh), Rev. Benjamin Watkins, minister
Calvinistic Methodist (Moriah) Chapel (Welsh), ministers various
Independent (Horeb) Chapel (Welsh), Rev. John Thomas, minister
Post Office Directory, Loughor, Glamorgan, 1871
Find help, report problems, and contribute information.
Copyright © GENUKI and Contributors 1996