"PORT TALBOT, is a harbour in Swansea Bay, in the parish of Margam, and in the borough of, and 1 mile from, Aberavon, which latter place formerly was the port; but by an act obtained in 1834 and in 1836 to alter, amend, and further improve the said harbour, and to change its name. Also in 1840 it was further enacted by an act passed to enable the 'Port Talbot Company' to raise further monies, and to amend the acts relating to the same port, and thenceforth to be called bu its present name, and that the company incorporated by the first mentioned act should thenceforth be a body corporate by the style of the 'Port Talbot Company'. ... More "[Slaters Commercial Directory, 1858-1859]
The church is dedicated to St. Agnes, is in the Benefice of Port Talbot St. Agnes with Oakwood, and diocese of Llandaff. Details of the present incumbent of this benefice can be found at the Church in Wales website. The church can be located at grid reference SS768902.
Anglican Parish Registers Held at the Glamorgan Record Office, Cardiff
Non Conformist Registers Deposited
OS Map Ref
Margam Road, Calvinistic Methodist
WGRO - West Glamorgan Record Office, Swansea NLW - National Library of Wales, Aberystwyth
Park School log book 1950-1964 "Park School was a senior school in Port Talbot, Glamorgan. The school was opened in 1950 and closed in 1964, to be replaced by Port Talbot Eastern Secondary School."
Port Talbot Central School Records "......... including log books, 1899-1950; stock and inventory books, 1946-1963"
Port Talbot Eastern School records "Port Talbot Eastern School was opened as Margam Copper Works School in the 19th century. It was renamed in 1902. ...................."
"................including log books, 1868-1974; admission registers, 1904-1961; weekly summary attendance registers, 1947-1950; returns to Board of Education, 1918-1958; HMI reports, 1923-1957; departmental reports, 1919-1952; staff salary records, 1917-1959; financial records, 1957-1959; records relating to school events, 1965-1973"
Port Talbot Intermediate School Records "..... comprising minutes, 1924-1949; accounts, 1919-1948; copies of Glanafan School magazine, 'The Avonian', 1971-2002."
Tirmorfa School [Port Talbot] admission registers 1956-1995